What's new

ClassicFlix RARE TELEVISION Thread (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
While I'd be happy with several of the shows that have been listed here recently, most are 60's shows. And no offense to the Baby-Boomers here (I'm Gen X just barely), but 1960's TV has already been represented very, very well on DVD/Blu. Virtually every well known series, and many lesser known series, from that decade have seen a release. The 1950's, on the other hand, hasn't had nearly the same amount of exposure. And so I'm personally hoping ClassicFlix has an eye more toward that decade. There are so, so many series that have yet to be explored from that earlier era.

I realize shows like Amos & Andy, b&w Dragnet, Lassie, Bachelor Father, Rin-Tin-Tin, the WB detective shows, and The Jack Benny Program may all be out of reach for various reasons. But there are a ton of shows that have yet to see R1 season set releases. Things like:

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Crossroads
Adventures of the Falcon

The Silent Service

and many, many more. And I believe the majority of the series I listed aren't tied to major studios. That's what I was going for, but I don't have definitive ownership knowledge on each of them.

Gary "hoping we get more 40's/50's material with this new line - that's what I'm craving" O.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
While I'd be happy with several of the shows that have been listed here recently, most are 60's shows. And no offense to the Baby-Boomers here (I'm Gen X just barely), but 1960's TV has already been represented very, very well on DVD/Blu. Virtually every well known series, and many lesser known series, from that decade have seen a release. The 1950's, on the other hand, hasn't had nearly the same amount of exposure. And so I'm personally hoping ClassicFlix has an eye more toward that decade. There are so, so many series that have yet to be explored from that earlier era.

I realize shows like Amos & Andy, b&w Dragnet, Lassie, Bachelor Father, Rin-Tin-Tin, the WB detective shows, and The Jack Benny Program may all be out of reach for various reasons. But there are a ton of shows that have yet to see R1 season set releases. Things like:

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Crossroads Only stretched
Adventures of the Falcon
The Silent Service

and many, many more. And I believe the majority of the series I listed aren't tied to major studios. That's what I was going for, but I don't have definitive ownership knowledge on each of them.

Gary "hoping we get more 40's/50's material with this new line - that's what I'm craving" O.
That's a wonderful list Gary. Quite a few times I'll see shows that I remember loving as a child, and then I watched those same shows as an adult and have thought to myself, wow ... how silly, what a letdown. Most of those letdowns are from the 1960's. Those from the 1950's seem to have a more serious tone. Anyhow, I hope whatever comes from ClassicFlix are shows I've never seen, period.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I don't recall seeing these mentioned - and I have no idea who owns the rights but most are half to single season wonders.

Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
My Sister Eileen
The Farmer's Daughter
My Living Doll (got about half like with "I'm Dickens, He's Finster" - would be nice to get them all)
Rango
T.H.E. Cat
Rango ran for a half season, I believe there are 17 episodes. From what I recall, the episodes are similar to F Troop with lots of silliness going on.

Arnie with Herschel Bernardi is a two season sitcom from the early 1970's that I'm fond of but I imagine probably doubtful it would be made available on DVD.

Forever Fernwood is the follow up series after Mary Hartman, I was hoping Shout Factory would make it available on DVD since they released Mary Hartman but they didn't seem interested and that's unfortunate.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Crossroads
Adventures of the Falcon

The Silent Service

I've heard of several of those and haven't seen any. I'd absolutely be in for Hennesey, Adventures of the Falcon, The Silent Service, and Boston Blackie solely based on what I've read. Wouldn't surprise me if I added a few more after more reading up on the others.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I don't recall seeing these mentioned - and I have no idea who owns the rights but most are half to single season wonders.

Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
My Sister Eileen
The Farmer's Daughter
My Living Doll (got about half like with "I'm Dickens, He's Finster" - would be nice to get them all)
Rango
T.H.E. Cat
T.H.E. Cat and Captain Nice were produced by NBC Productions, and Mr. Terrific was from Universal, so presumably they're all under the NBC-Universal umbrella.
I used to think that, too, the NBC-Universal connection, but I did some research not too long ago, and found that TV productions released under the "NBC Films" banner (T.H.E. Cat, Captain Nice, Kentucky Jones) actually got sold off long ago (early 1970s) because of a change in the FCC rules in 1970. Under that rule change, a network couldn't own/syndicate content that they aired in prime-time (dangers of broadcast monopolies)*, so NBC had to divest itself of NBC Films. That library was acquired by National Telefilm Associates in 1973, which itself was eventually acquired by Viacom/CBS/Paramount. This also holds true for 1950s TV series produced by California National Productions (any that haven't somehow fallen into the public domain or may have reverted to independent producers), which eventually became NBC Films in the 1960s.

* these rules slackened in the 1980s, and were finally dropped in 1993.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I used to think that, too, the NBC-Universal connection, but I did some research not too long ago, and found that TV productions released under the "NBC Films" banner (T.H.E. Cat, Captain Nice, Kentucky Jones) actually got sold off long ago (early 1970s) because of a change in the FCC rules in 1970. Under that rule change, a network couldn't own/syndicate content that they aired in prime-time (dangers of broadcast monopolies)*, so NBC had to divest itself of NBC Films. That library was acquired by National Telefilm Associates in 1973, which itself was eventually acquired by Viacom/CBS/Paramount. This also holds true for 1950s TV series produced by California National Productions (any that haven't somehow fallen into the public domain or may have reverted to independent producers), which eventually became NBC Films in the 1960s.

* these rules slackened in the 1980s, and were finally dropped in 1993.

That’s a real shame about CNP, if true. I would hate to think all the shows are locked up in the big studio vaults, with little to no chance of ever being seen again.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Crossroads
Adventures of the Falcon

The Silent Service

Gary I searched out the series you posted in YouTube and all but two had playlists. Only problem being many had very poor quality. But still, those who are interested can see a few samples of each.

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Adventures of the Falcon
The Silent Service

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary I searched out the series you posted in YouTube and all but two had playlists. Only problem being many had very poor quality. But still, those who are interested can see a few samples of each.

Front Page Detective
Boots & Saddles
The Lone Wolf
Hiram Holiday
Hennesey
The Gray Ghost
Boston Blackie
The People's Choice
Waterfront
Adventures of the Falcon
The Silent Service

Great work, Neal. Thank you for putting in the time to do this. I've seen examples of all these shows, either via YouTube or on VHS or homemade DVD, but as you said most are not the crystal-clear quality we are now used to.

Gary "would love to see any of these released by ClassicFlix" O.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific

Last year I purchased a Region 2 DVD German release of Mr. Terrific that had an English Audio option. The episodes were complete and the quality was quite good. It also included 14-15 minute condensed versions of the Captain Nice series. Why they were edited from 24-25 mins. to 14-15 is a mystery and the quality on those was not very good.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
My Sister Eileen
The Farmer's Daughter
Rango
T.H.E. Cat
These are all nice selections. I am particularly fond of T.H.E. Cat. Robert Loggia is great in the lead role, and Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat seems like an obvious inspiration for Sam Fisher in Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, right down to his uniform of choice and his skill set with his stealth and agility as an aerialist and his mastery of small arms such as throwing knives and pistols. The show is very well written and produced, and has a wonderful theme song and original score by Lalo Schifrin. I do not understand why this has never received an official release with all that this show has going for it.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
“As of December 2020 the film negatives for this series no longer exist. They were last recorded as being in the Paramount film and television archives in the mid 1970s but it is thought they were either deliberately or accidentally destroyed in a purge to free up storage space for more recent shows in the late 1970s. The only remnants left of the show (like those on YouTube) are from a couple of very worn telecine prints that were discovered in the vault of a local television station in the early 2000s.”
- per IMDb re: T. H. E. Cat
Too bad, because I recall watching episodes and thought they were very high quality.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Front Page Detective looks GREAT maybe right up ClassicFlixs alley - who owns the series now???

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Two one season CBS series I'd love to see that I don't believe have been mentioned yet are Pistols 'n' Petticoats (1966-7) and He & She (1967-8). It appears that P 'n' P's DVD rights are held by both Universal Home Video and Echo Bridge Home Video. Don't know about He & She, but Paramount possibly? So, with that information I'm sure these may not be possible.

As a fan of Ann Sheridan I've always wanted to see Pistols 'n' Petticoats and I remember watching He & She when some of the episodes were rebroadcast as a summer replacement program in 1970. Ahead of its time along with The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (which my 40-something Mom at the time loved and we watched it) which led to the more sophisticated comedy series of the 1970s such as The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
“As of December 2020 the film negatives for this series no longer exist. They were last recorded as being in the Paramount film and television archives in the mid 1970s but it is thought they were either deliberately or accidentally destroyed in a purge to free up storage space for more recent shows in the late 1970s. The only remnants left of the show (like those on YouTube) are from a couple of very worn telecine prints that were discovered in the vault of a local television station in the early 2000s.”
- per IMDb
Too bad, because I recall watching episodes and thought they were very high quality.
What f’ing show are you talking about?????

Multiple shows are being discussed here.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
- per IMDb
What f’ing show are you talking about?????

Multiple shows are being discussed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks