ClassicFlix kickstarter to restore "The Little Rascals"

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
ClassicFlix got the rights to the 80 Talkie "Little Rascal" era shorts and have started a kickstarter to fund restoration of the first 22 - they ARE doing both Blu and DVD - 2K restoration. Seems the nitrate sound elements are a little rough so they are going to have to source those from best existing safety prints. (although I'd guess someone might have some sound discs - Railroading's Discs didn't turn up till the 1980's for instance)

$70,000 in 30 days - and in the FAQ they expect it will cost $3000 per short! Gee, how much did UCLA spend on the Laurel and Hardy shorts?

ClassicFlix "Little Rascals" Kickstarter

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
$70,000 in 30 days - and in the FAQ they expect it will cost $3000 per short! Gee, how much did UCLA spend on the Laurel and Hardy shorts?

UCLA is doing full film-based restorations along with film based preservation materials ( albeit with a lot of digital help) while I suspect these Rascals "restorations" will be video-based only.

Big difference.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
That's 4 Million for 80 Shorts ! ? :eek::blink:
Rick,
are you looking at that as a good thing or a bad thing? for a proper restoration and cleanup of 80 shorts, i cant give you numbers for something like that, but this forum does have people in the industry that do that for a living, And David from Classiflix has been very good at proper presentation of the Hal Roach library of titles. Not to get off topic, but all the different companies and their ownership involved in the Roach films, have not always treated his output in the best condition. Compare that to Sony and and the Restorations of the Stooges, no having to go outside of the studio, and restoration by a studio that cares about its film history and legacy. is that an accurate cost to do these correctly. Only the accounting department will know the final outcome. But if a chance remains to make a contribution to assist in this, i would be willing to help what i could, hell if i won the powerball, i fund the whole thing, just saying:biggrin:

Reactions: Harold Chasen

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
That's 4 Million for 80 Shorts ! ? :eek::blink:
I have no idea where this number comes from. We are setting a modest goal of $3K per short. For all 80, that's $240,000... and they will look incredible.

For most companies, to do these right, it would easily be AT LEAST $5K per short, but

1) because we have certain processes in place that reduces cost per short

and

2) we are a small company

we'e able to keep production costs relatively low and still produce a superior product.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Reactions: Malcolm R

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manishatbneha