What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'd love to see a restored edition of the classic Phantom Empire,with Gene Autry that is the one and only endeavor to cross pollinate the Western & the joys of Flash Goron serials!!
Think restored Phantom Empire was released under Gene Autry's estate although VCI's print was good
1649346506149.png

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Think restored Phantom Empire was released under Gene Autry's estate although VCI's print was good View attachment 133440
This edition seems to be by Timeless Media Group, which I believe is part of Shout Factory, and there is no mention of any restoration to the materials for this release? Here's their quote "This Timeless Media Group collection is sourced from Gene Autry's personal film archive."
Grapevine did a horrendous transfer all 12 chapters on 1 dvd!! And Alpha had both the 2 volume disc set and offered the movie or feature film version as "Radio Ranch"...Do you have some info on the restoration efforts by VCI? Thanks Bob...please let me know, this querky little beast is one of my favorite serials, and would love to see a real restoration to this title and dropped on to a BD - :dance:

Attachments

• 089218593894.jpg
    089218593894.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 10

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This edition seems to be by Timeless Media Group, which I believe is part of Shout Factory, and there is no mention of any restoration to the materials for this release? Here's their quote "This Timeless Media Group collection is sourced from Gene Autry's personal film archive."
Grapevine did a horrendous transfer all 12 chapters on 1 dvd!! And Alpha had both the 2 volume disc set and offered the movie or feature film version as "Radio Ranch"...Do you have some info on the restoration efforts by VCI? Thanks Bob...please let me know, this querky little beast is one of my favorite serials, and would love to see a real restoration to this title and dropped on to a BD - :dance:
Hi my friend ---- VCI'S print was very good -- made a great dvd set - and VCI'S copy was reviewed in the NYT's if you can grab a copy still it's worth it!

By Dave Kehr
  • March 25, 2008
THE PHANTOM EMPIRE
For indigenous American surrealism, it’s hard to beat the Saturday matinee serials of the 1930s, and I’m not sure that “The Phantom Empire,” a 1935 release from the Poverty Row studio Mascot, can be beat at all. Very likely the world’s first singing-cowboy science-fiction adventure, this 12-episode chapterplay, directed by Otto Brower and Breezy Easton, features Gene Autry in his first starring role as “Gene Autry,” the proprietor of Radio Ranch. This curious institution seems to be at once a working cattle concern and a full-scale broadcasting business from which Gene and his pals (including his longtime sidekick Smiley Burnett) send out a daily program of country-western songs.
Life is sweet at Radio Ranch until a band of “renegade scientists” arrives, looking for the massive radium deposits of the secret underground nation Murania, the gateway to which happens to be located in a canyon behind Gene’s ranch. Before too long, Gene and his two l’il pardners (the child actors Frankie Darro and Betsy King Ross) find themselves caught between the rampaging savants and the legions of Wagnerian Thunder Riders (accompanied by appropriate sound effects) and lumbering mechanical men (whimsical robots built for a production number in MGM’s “Dancing Lady” but cut from the final film) sent forth by Murania’s “She”-like Queen Tika (Dorothy Christy) to prevent her land of peace and plenty from being invaded by rapacious “surface men.” It’s a lot for Gene to handle, particularly since he has to get back to Radio Ranch by 2 p.m. every day for his broadcast, which he carries on as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
It is said that Wallace MacDonald, one of the serial’s five credited writers, came up with the concept while under the influence of nitrous oxide at his dentist’s office. That seems quite possible, given the screenplay’s furious imaginings, which include an interesting kind of television that requires no cameras (but has an inconvenient, floor-level circular screen) and “radium bombs” posed to destroy the entire planet.
What gives “Phantom Empire” its enduring charm is the refusal of the filmmakers to play any of its outrageousness for laughs. As extravagant as the action becomes, the picture never loses its sense of complete conviction.

Long a victim of third-rate, public-domain releases on home video, “Phantom Empire” has been nicely restored by VCI Entertainment for a new two-disc edition that also finds room for a complete Autry feature from 1937, Joe Kane’s “Boots and Saddles.” The VCI catalog, which includes an extensive collection of serials and B westerns, is online at vcient.com. ($19.99, not rated.)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I had a couple of question, with the limited number of titles that will be going away, thankfully I believe, I have all on BD, but a lot were Noir films, are their any other Eagle-Lion noirs that could be a possibly be candidates for future releases?

Excuse my mentioning something that isn't ClassicFlix, but Flicker Alley just released a nice Eagle-Lion noir, Repeat Performance. One of the bonus features is a nice piece about the history of Eagle-Lion (and it credits ClassicFlix, as it uses clips from the Mann/Alton noirs). Worth getting.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hi my friend ---- VCI'S print was very good -- made a great dvd set - and VCI'S copy was reviewed in the NYT's if you can grab a copy still it's worth it!

By Dave Kehr
  • March 25, 2008
THE PHANTOM EMPIRE
For indigenous American surrealism, it’s hard to beat the Saturday matinee serials of the 1930s, and I’m not sure that “The Phantom Empire,” a 1935 release from the Poverty Row studio Mascot, can be beat at all. Very likely the world’s first singing-cowboy science-fiction adventure, this 12-episode chapterplay, directed by Otto Brower and Breezy Easton, features Gene Autry in his first starring role as “Gene Autry,” the proprietor of Radio Ranch. This curious institution seems to be at once a working cattle concern and a full-scale broadcasting business from which Gene and his pals (including his longtime sidekick Smiley Burnett) send out a daily program of country-western songs.
Life is sweet at Radio Ranch until a band of “renegade scientists” arrives, looking for the massive radium deposits of the secret underground nation Murania, the gateway to which happens to be located in a canyon behind Gene’s ranch. Before too long, Gene and his two l’il pardners (the child actors Frankie Darro and Betsy King Ross) find themselves caught between the rampaging savants and the legions of Wagnerian Thunder Riders (accompanied by appropriate sound effects) and lumbering mechanical men (whimsical robots built for a production number in MGM’s “Dancing Lady” but cut from the final film) sent forth by Murania’s “She”-like Queen Tika (Dorothy Christy) to prevent her land of peace and plenty from being invaded by rapacious “surface men.” It’s a lot for Gene to handle, particularly since he has to get back to Radio Ranch by 2 p.m. every day for his broadcast, which he carries on as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
It is said that Wallace MacDonald, one of the serial’s five credited writers, came up with the concept while under the influence of nitrous oxide at his dentist’s office. That seems quite possible, given the screenplay’s furious imaginings, which include an interesting kind of television that requires no cameras (but has an inconvenient, floor-level circular screen) and “radium bombs” posed to destroy the entire planet.
What gives “Phantom Empire” its enduring charm is the refusal of the filmmakers to play any of its outrageousness for laughs. As extravagant as the action becomes, the picture never loses its sense of complete conviction.

Long a victim of third-rate, public-domain releases on home video, “Phantom Empire” has been nicely restored by VCI Entertainment for a new two-disc edition that also finds room for a complete Autry feature from 1937, Joe Kane’s “Boots and Saddles.” The VCI catalog, which includes an extensive collection of serials and B westerns, is online at vcient.com. ($19.99, not rated.)
I appreciate that Bob, I think for now I'll wait and hope for some kind company to get on it and do the right thing, LOL!! My collection is large enough that I won't miss it fro a while....

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I just happened to notice that Volume One of the Little Rascals sets is no longer listed at the ClassicFlix site.

Did it go OOP while I wasn't looking?

If so, congrats to David and his minions!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just happened to notice that Volume One of the Little Rascals sets is no longer listed at the ClassicFlix site.

Did it go OOP while I wasn't looking?

If so, congrats to David and his minions!
It did indeed. It is still available through several other places, however the price has gone up. It is up to I believe $39.99 on Amazon. I got mine recently at Wal Mart for $27.99. I would have preferred to get it at Classic Flix, but never got around to buying it earlier.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
And while I can't give titles yet, there are a few we've got penciled in to the schedule later this year that classic film fans will enjoy:

1) A 30s horror film getting BD upgrade (our first horror title)
2) A 40s British horror/thriller that has never been released on home video
3) A marquee 50s noir that is also making its home video debut and that has been on want lists for literally decades
4) A top tier B western star getting a series of BD upgrades in multiple volumes

Hopefully we can divulge titles in the next month or two on these as well.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

So I'm guessing we have our answer for #3, David?

I, the Jury 3D.

Just wanting to double-check and not assume. :)

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
And while I can't give titles yet, there are a few we've got penciled in to the schedule later this year that classic film fans will enjoy:

1) A 30s horror film getting BD upgrade (our first horror title)
2) A 40s British horror/thriller that has never been released on home video
3) A marquee 50s noir that is also making its home video debut and that has been on want lists for literally decades
4) A top tier B western star getting a series of BD upgrades in multiple volumes

Hopefully we can divulge titles in the next month or two on these as well.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Well we now know that #3 is indeed I, The Jury. :3dglasses:

And I also know I cannot wait to learn about #s 1&2!

And here's one other thing I know: David, you da MAN! :) :dance:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

You're such a tease David, LOL!!! I'm intrigued...

Attachments

• 10639542_10152888589818899_8709688581899079409_n.jpg
    10639542_10152888589818899_8709688581899079409_n.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 8

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Any update on a possible deal with Universal to release any of those 40s "B" titles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyquinn
Recent bookmarks