What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I’m assuming there’s no chance for an Amos & Andy release? If not season sets, or the entire series, I wonder if there be any way ClassicFlix could get a hold of the Christmas episode from that series and release it as an individual disc. It was a true classic.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m assuming there’s no chance for an Amos & Andy release? If not season sets, or the entire series, I wonder if there be any way ClassicFlix could get a hold of the Christmas episode from that series and release it as an individual disc. It was a true classic.
I would immediately go for Amos and Andy in LEGIT release BUT CBS/Viacom would never release that unless to a third party.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I would immediately go for Amos and Andy in LEGIT release BUT CBS/Viacom would never release that unless to a third party.
Remember when no ones feeling were hurt by COMEDY and we just laughed. Here in NY WPIX aired The Little Rascals for years - from when they went on air practically in 1948 by they time they stopped showing them they were an edited mess. Thanks to Genius releasing them then Sonar correcting the discs problems and a HUGE thanks to Classic Flix for bringing them back to life - to glorious life. The series was groundbreaking in so many ways and despite a few cringe worthy fleeting moments (very few) due to the era it showed kids are not born prejudiced but are taught that. The kids all got along! There is a great message in that!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Not likely, especially since we don't have a relationship with CBS. If we did, the first thing we would go after would be Jack Benny though.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not likely, especially since we don't have a relationship with CBS. If we did, the first thing we would go after would be Jack Benny though.

- David
Isn't Benny with Universal? I have been hoping someone would approach Sony for season sets of Burns and Allen - I am so surprised SHOUT never did it

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

- David

Thanks. I knew that, but I had a brain freeze moment. My bad.

Gary “appreciate all you folk at ClassicFlix are doing for us fans of classic TV and film” O.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for asking but no news regarding Universal and nothing for other studios just yet.

- David
It would be great if you ever did strike a deal with Universal. While Kino Lorber has done an excellent job releasing many Universal titles, there are still plenty of ones from the 1940's that Kino will probably never bother with: Andrew Sisters, Gloria Jean, Donald O'Connor, Hugh Herbert, Anne Gwynne, Martha O'Driscoll, Elyse Knox, Grace McDonald, etc. Many "B" musicals, dramas, comedies, westerns, etc. Lots of hidden treasures! There are a few half way decent 16 and some 35mm prints floating around from private collectors who transfer them to disc, but to have ClassicFlix restore some of these and have official releases would certainly be welcomed by many I am sure.

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Here's the artwork and synopsis for the just announced Black Magic (1949).

After watching his gypsy parents executed by hanging for the alleged crime of sorcery, a young Joseph Balsamo is tortured mercilessly for the insolence of objecting to his parents’ conviction. After a narrow escape from his captors, he vows revenge on the nobleman who sentenced his parents to death.

Having honed his skills as a charmer through his teen years and into adulthood, Joseph (Orson Welles) now dons the name Cagliostro and becomes a famous sorcerer throughout Europe earning wealth, fame and privilege. His misadventures culminate in a bit of palace intrigue with a plot against Queen Marie Antoinette (Nancy Guild)—whose exact double is under Cagliostro’s spell and is helpless to be his instrument in usurping the throne of France.

Despite having helmed such cinematic triumphs as Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons, the legendary Orson Welles often had trouble in acquiring directorial assignments throughout his career. Many of Welles’ film projects were independent ones—financed by acting he did in other directors’ pictures. The 1949 production of Black Magic is just such an assignment as Welles used the proceeds to make his version of Shakespeare’s Othello (1951).

An adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel Joseph Balsamo which tells the story of the 18th century sorcerer Cagliostro, Magic is directed by Gregory Ratoff and features a bravura performance of villainy from Welles, with excellent support from Guild, Stephen Bekassy and Akim Tamiroff (who would later appear with Welles in the director’s classic Touch of Evil).

Frank Latimore, Valentina Cortese and Margot Grahame are also featured, with future Perry Mason star Raymond Burr appearing at the film’s beginning as Alexandre Dumas’ son with Berry Kroeger as the senior Dumas.

- David
This is definatly one that was on my hit list!! Originaly I had a bad burned copy that was so dark and muddy many of the scenes were either void of detail or so dark details were totaly lost! Later there wasa a decent edition made that brought back decent gray scale balence and much cleaner detail and because it is a very dark film overall, they were able to bring out a finer detailed version of it. And the sound was remastered as well...day and night different. Yet as clean as that edition was, I'd love for you to go the distance and provide a better, even more deteiled experience!! I love the Little Rascals projects and have faith that you will be able to present the ulyimate edition of Orson Welles' Black Magic"!! Can't Wait!!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
It would be great if you ever did strike a deal with Universal. While Kino Lorber has done an excellent job releasing many Universal titles, there are still plenty of ones from the 1940's that Kino will probably never bother with: Andrew Sisters, Gloria Jean, Donald O'Connor, Hugh Herbert, Anne Gwynne, Martha O'Driscoll, Elyse Knox, Grace McDonald, etc. Many "B" musicals, dramas, comedies, westerns, etc. Lots of hidden treasures! There are a few half way decent 16 and some 35mm prints floating around from private collectors who transfer them to disc, but to have ClassicFlix restore some of these and have official releases would certainly be welcomed by many I am sure.

We have approached and would love to strike a deal with Universal, but nothing has come of our discussions. As you said though, Kino is doing a great job and they release at such a break-neck pace they might just run the table Universal's pre-1950s library.

- David

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
We have approached and would love to strike a deal with Universal, but nothing has come of our discussions. As you said though, Kino is doing a great job and they release at such a break-neck pace they might just run the table Universal's pre-1950s library.

- David
That would be nice if they did that, but their deal with Universal would have to be extended for probably several more years to be able to release most of those titles if they did agree to do that. Only films they think will sell well gets consideration for release, which is understandable. Kino has done a remarkable job releasing many titles and some never being on any video format before. I still don't know if they would touch those more lesser "B" titles. I could be wrong though. Some of the prints on those definitely would need some extensive work. Many copies floating around are rather beat up 16mm prints with numerous splices and beginning and end credits chopped off. ClassicFlix has been doing a great job too on these titles that you have put out. I hope a deal can be done for you to do this. I am certain you would do a terrific job.

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

- David
Seems that the Benny Show from 1961-65 is with Universal in fact they did release tapes of the Benny show decades ago. Just got your Winter Sale e-mail when does it end???

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
GREAT going to get in on the action before the end of the year -want to grab Along Came Jones they say it is a great film!
Jones is a fun one with Cooper poking fun at his on-screen western persona. But the cast is great too with Cooper and Young showing great chemistry and Duryea and Demarest making a good show of it as well.

- David

RobertMG

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Jones is a fun one with Cooper poking fun at his on-screen western persona. But the cast is great too with Cooper and Young showing great chemistry and Duryea and Demarest making a good show of it as well.

- David
I am going to grab that one for sure! And a couple of others, I loved your Merrily We Live such an underrated Roach film.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Our Winter Blowout Sale is going on through December 31st.

Great prices including $19.98 each for Volumes 1 & 2 of The Rascals released earlier this year.

Lot's of other great deals:

LOWEST PRICE EVER TOO:
UNDER $10:

with many of our Silver Series titles are below $10 too.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Lots of great deals on Silver Series titles too:

$7.98

Young and Willing (1943)

Young_and_Willing_800.jpg

$9.98

The Complete PRC Michael Shayne Mystery Collection

CF_MichaelShayne_cover_800.jpg

$11.98

The Crystal Ball (1943)

The_Crystal_Ball_800.jpg

$14.98

Hal Roach Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly Collection

TODD-KELLY_cover_600_adj_colorjpg.jpg

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
The Little Rascals - The ClassicFlix Restorations, Volume 4 streets next month and we've got several more clips lined up to share from the release.

Presented below is a restored clip of the 42nd Our Gang sound short MIKE FRIGHT (1934) which is part of Volume 4 and streets in January.

ENJOY!

- David

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks