What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
"Best of 2022" releases are starting to come in and our Jack and the Beanstalk (Special Limited Edition) gets top spot over at The Bottom Shelf!

Jack Final BD 800.jpg

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
"Best of 2022" releases are starting to come in and our Jack and the Beanstalk (Special Limited Edition) gets top spot over at The Bottom Shelf!

- David
been a few years since the forum ask that same question, sort of like a pick 10 from the last year that you were most impressed with and 3 on that lists from me were from CF,

Jack and the Beanstalk
The Little Rascals Restorations
I, the Jury 3D

most of the others were from smaller companies as well

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Grable titles with FOX will not happen because Disney owns them now
Wonder if Disney has better resources (than Fox did) to clear up rights problems like that? if that be the case. Guess firstly there has to be a will before there can be a way. But if they do ever come to my senses, there's always room for a few more titles...

IMG_3035.png

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Obviously, would indeed like to obtain the few outstanding titles and fill in the gaps to round out my collection.
It's like, I'm buying, only they're not selling...
(Good news though for any fans of endless super-hero movies. They got 'em - lots).

ClassicFlix does GREAT work Doug what shape is the material in?
Yes, deets (on Walter Wanger's Vogues of 1938 1937) would be nice, but I'm sure it will be quite acceptable, regardless.
Excitedly awaiting Silver Series #25! A key early color release.

1672130870452.png

1672131413955.png

Joan Bennett, Warner Baxter

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Obviously, would indeed like to obtain the few outstanding titles and fill in the gaps to round out my collection.
It's like, I'm buying, only they're not selling...
(Good news though for any fans of endless super-hero movies. They got 'em - lots).

Yes, deets (on Walter Wanger's Vogues of 1938 1937) would be nice, but I'm sure it will be quite acceptable, regardless.
Excitedly awaiting Silver Series #25! A key early color release.

View attachment 168335
View attachment 168340
Joan Bennett, Warner Baxter
Glad about the excitement regarding the release, but a heads up this is not a new master but is from a very old master and has some inherent problems (chief among them is ghosting).

- David

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Glad about the excitement regarding the release, but a heads up this is not a new master but is from a very old master and has some inherent problems (chief among them is ghosting).

- David
David, kudos to you for being upfront about this.

I've been arguing for a while, here and elsewhere, that studios and distributors should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good if the "perfect" means no homevid release ever (i.e., due to prohibitive restoration costs necessary to reach "perfection").

Some studios and distributors are said to be gun-shy about taking this approach lest they get blasted on boards like this over (pick your sin: not OAR, heavy grain, the occasional speckle, etc. etc.)

I believe when distribution execs are clear and upfront with customers (like you are being here), it should help minimize these complaints.

Put me in the category of collectors willing to accept compromises in quality when there is no other option to get some of these titles on disc. :thumbsup:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten

- David
Pristine quality always preferable but at this point I'm just thrilled it's coming out at all. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. Thanks David.

I've been arguing for a while, here and elsewhere, that studios and distributors should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good if the "perfect" means no homevid release ever (i.e., due to prohibitive restoration costs necessary to reach "perfection").

Some studios and distributors are said to be gun-shy about taking this approach lest they get blasted on boards like this over (pick your sin: not OAR, heavy grain, the occasional speckle, etc. etc.)

I believe when distribution execs are clear and upfront with customers (like you are being here), it should help minimize these complaints.

Put me in the category of collectors willing to accept compromises in quality when there is no other option to get some of these titles on disc. :thumbsup:
Well said Tom.

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Pristine quality always preferable but at this point I'm just thrilled it's coming out at all. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. Thanks David.

Well said Tom.
A tip off is the $14.99 retail price. If the retail is that low, then it's on the bottom rung of the PQ ladder.

A $24.99 retail is a "good" to "very good" master which has likely gone through some restoration (I Met My Love Again and The Duke of West Point are 2 examples at the $24.99 which have nice masters). Both are on sale until Saturday.

- David

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
David maybe u can make a lot of FKB's fans happy when SHOUT released FKB Season 1 way back 14 I think of the episodes were cut copies at the time SHOUT said to me the 14 uncut versions were in rougher shape - sad because the great XMAS show The Christmas Story is only available in cut form - I just saw a nearly uncut copy and its great - although SHOUT has the series still they have never shown interest to give us the chance to make the entire series uncut - the rest of the season sets are all UNCUT all we need are the 14 from season one

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
A tip off is the $14.99 retail price. If the retail is that low, then it's on the bottom rung of the PQ ladder.

A $24.99 retail is a "good" to "very good" master which has likely gone through some restoration (I Met My Love Again and The Duke of West Point are 2 examples at the $24.99 which have nice masters). Both are on sale until Saturday.

- David
I thought if work had been done would likely have been mentioned in product description, so looked to that as a possible indicator of condition. Didn't think to look at price point.
And thanks for sharing advance info - it's a nice courtesy and very helpful to know what to expect. Jeff

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
David, a question about the Hal Roach library...Any chance of a release of some or all of "The Boy Friends" series.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

I would be willing to get any of those rare Universal B titles from the late 30s and early 40s as long as the quality was decent. I hope Classic Flix keeps pursuing the possibility of acquiring some of them.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Lou Lumenick said...
VOGUES is part of the same package that includes Wanger productions like STAGECOACH and FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, as well as titles that Paramount sold to UA like I MARRIED A WITCH and YOUNG AND WILLING in addition to the UA-financed TO BE OR NOT TO BE. On TV since the early 1950s, they've passed through many hands and are currently controlled by Westchester Films. The more prominent titles are licensed for video to Criterion. TCM's video label licensed the lesser titles, but apparently gave up after SUNDOWN and HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY because of poor existing materials.

This 2014 post by Lou Lumenick (New York Post, retired film critic) is from John McElwee's Greenbriar Picture Shows website. There's also a very nice hi-res behind the scenes photo that John posted there (along with a scanned print ad for the film).
- https://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2014/03/30s-fashions-and-frolics.html

1673936842691.png

Director Irving Cummings, Technicolor Cameraman Ray Rennahan, Warner Baxter and Helen Vinson

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Uh, uh, uh, uh - don't touch that dial!
Great to see this Roach Studios produced classic getting the upgrade.
Still excited about the Technicolor Vogues of 1938 and finally pre-ordered a couple copies, along with the previously released I Met My Love Again (Silver Series #2), a B&W film that actually was from 1938. Also was a Walter Wanger production, and co-starred Bennett, so had to purchase that one too - should make a nice little combo. Thanks!

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:

We've just announced an upcoming DVD release of Life With Father (1947).

The beloved family comedy, one of the top grossers of the year, not only stars William Powell and Irene Dunne in front of the camera, among others, but features top-notch talent behind the camera including director Michael Curtiz and composer Max Steiner.

You can see a clip from the DVD below.

While not a new transfer, the overall presentation if very good and will make a great addition to any home video library.

- David

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:

We've just announced an upcoming DVD release of Life With Father (1947).

The beloved family comedy, one of the top grossers of the year, not only stars William Powell and Irene Dunne in front of the camera, among others, but features top-notch talent behind the camera including director Michael Curtiz and composer Max Steiner.

You can see a clip from the DVD below.

While not a new transfer, the overall presentation if very good and will make a great addition to any home video library.

- David

Pretty DOGGONE stunning! hope sell tons! When will you post a clip of Vogues Of 1938?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks