What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The latest great news from David and his ClassicFlix colleagues: The long-awaited (;)) blu ray of The Long Wait, the last of the Mickey Spillane 1950s film adaptations to make it to home media, debuts in March:

Tom, thank you for sharing the great news about The Long Wait being released on March 21, 2023! I got the email notification about it today. This will make a nice addition to my collection of films based on MIckey Spillane stories.

My question for David is: excluding the Stacy Keach Mike Hammer telefilms, all of the following films based on Mickey Spillane stories listed below have all been released on physical media, so is there any chance ClassicFlix could acquire the rights to release The Delta Factor (1970)?:

I, the Jury (1953) released on 11/08/2022 by ClassicFlix
Kiss Me Deadly (1955) released on 6/21/2011 by Criterion
My Gun is Quick (1957) released on 3/24/2020 by Kino-Lorber
The Girl Hunters (1963) released on 10/21/2014 by Kino-Lorber
I, the Jury (1982) released on 9/8/2016 by Kino-Lorber

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
My question for David is: excluding the Stacy Keach Mike Hammer telefilms, all of the following films based on Mickey Spillane stories listed below have all been released on physical media, so is there any chance ClassicFlix could acquire the rights to release The Delta Factor (1970)?:

I, the Jury (1953) released on 11/08/2022 by ClassicFlix
Kiss Me Deadly (1955) released on 6/21/2011 by Criterion
My Gun is Quick (1957) released by Kino-Lorber
The Girl Hunters (1963) released on 10/21/14 by Kino-Lorber
I, the Jury (1982) released on 9/8/2016 by Kino-Lorber

Great minds..... ;)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Here's the link to purchase.

https://www.classicflix.com/products/copy-of-the-long-wait

Long Wait BD 800.jpg

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Check out our latest announcement on two rarely seen late 30s Joan Bennett films will be making their DVD debuts this March: Vogues of 1938 (1937) and Trade Winds (1938).

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
Wow - that's awesome! (Actually not familiar with Trade Winds but) I'm a fan of early color and Vogues of 1938 has been most prominent on my home video DVD want list since started over 15 years ago.
Most titles on my list have seen eventual release, and Vogues of 1938 along with two Betty Grable films - Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe (1945) & When My Baby Smiles At Me (1948) - are far and away my top remaining movie titles. Fox did a great job getting most of the Betty Grable films to DVD and even some onto Blu Ray, but what happened with those two titles?
Frownies those, but smileys for Vogues of 1938 (and ClassicFlix). All too seldom get bombshell news like this so late in the DVD game! Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Wow - that's awesome! (Actually not familiar with Trade Winds but) I'm a fan of early color and Vogues of 1938 has been most prominent on my home video DVD want list since started over 15 years ago.
Most titles on my list have seen eventual release, and Vogues of 1938 along with two Betty Grable films - Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe (1945) & When My Baby Smiles At Me (1948) - are far and away my top remaining movie titles. Fox did a great job getting most of the Betty Grable films to DVD and even some onto Blu Ray, but what happened with those two titles?
Frownies those, but smileys for Vogues of 1938 (and ClassicFlix). All too seldom get bombshell news like this so late in the DVD game! Thanks, Jeff
Those two Grable titles are holy grails for me, but I think they must be tied up with rights issues of some sort. Am definitely picking up Vogues of 1938.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Those two Grable titles are holy grails for me, but I think they must be tied up with rights issues of some sort. Am definitely picking up Vogues of 1938.
Grable titles with FOX will not happen because Disney owns them now

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Unfortunately that's probably true. Fox MOD program often left somethings to be desired but not sure anyone had a more dismal MOD program than Disney. (Few overall titles, often with poor video/audio quality and/or from VHS masters).

Re: Vogues of 1938
March suddenly seems so far off. In the meantime here's two silent color shorts from the previous decade, that focus on fashion and may be of related interest.

"Paris Fashions (1926) (is a) vintage stenciled-colored Paris fashion review from the mid-1920s" included on Flicker Alley's Discovering Cinema: "Learning to Talk" & "Movies Dream in Color" DVD set.

2 Episodes of "Fashion News" titled Technicolor Fashion Parade / Fashion Features, Inc ; music, Frederick Hodges (USA, 1927, 5:53 min.) From Flicker Alley's Saved From The Flames - 54 Rare and Restored Films 1896 - 1944 DVD set.

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Really looking forward to Vogues of 1938. I haven't seen it in years, but as I recall there are some great shots of 1930s NYC in Technicolor.
Many years since I've seen also. I think it used to air on AMC more often than on TCM - I likely have a recorded VHS copy buried somewhere, made obsolete with this announcement. (I don't recall many specifics from Vogues, but you could also well be describing Nothing Sacred (1937) with it's aerial color footage of New York City).

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Jeff:

If only Fox had released Betty Grable Volume 2 (and maybe other volumes) as part of their Marquee Musicals line, but apparently the sales of Betty Grable Volume 1 did not justify releasing further volumes. It's a shame.

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Patten
Jeff:

If only Fox had released Betty Grable Volume 2 (and maybe other volumes) as part of their Marquee Musicals line, but apparently the sales of Betty Grable Volume 1 did not justify releasing further volumes. It's a shame.
Hi Sean,
Yes, a Volume 1 usually implies an eventual Volume 2 or further. That was a huge disappointment but thankfully along came MODs, picking up where the Marquee Musicals left off. No frills packaging, DVD-R discs but at least we got most of her films. Feel I should also mention though not as desirable a title, The Farmer Takes A Wife (1953) is another Betty Grable film from her starring career still outstanding. Also films before her major stardom like This Way Please (1937)...
Of the big three, Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe (1945), When My Baby Smiles At Me (1948) and The Farmer Takes A Wife (1953), only The Farmer Takes A Wife was ever available on VHS edition. That would also seem to point to rights issues with the other two.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hi Sean,
Yes, a Volume 1 usually implies an eventual Volume 2 or further. That was a huge disappointment but thankfully along came MODs, picking up where the Marquee Musicals left off. No frills packaging, DVD-R discs but at least we got most of her films. Feel I should also mention though not as desirable a title, The Farmer Takes A Wife (1953) is another Betty Grable film from her starring career still outstanding. Also films before her major stardom like This Way Please (1937)...
Of the big three, Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe (1945), When My Baby Smiles At Me (1948) and The Farmer Takes A Wife (1953), only The Farmer Takes A Wife was ever available on VHS edition. That would also seem to point to rights issues with the other two.
Maybe not problem was the Grable set did not sell and now Fox is locked away by Disney

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks