What's new

ClassicFlix Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Thank you for the fast delivery!

Ordered 10/25 2:48pm. In my mailbox 10/27 10:42am.

IMG_1859.JPG

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Scheduled to street tomorrow, November 15th, The Little Rascals - The Complete Collection (Centennial Edition) has started shipping!

We've also cut a custom trailer for the release.

About the restorations: Each short has been newly scanned from original Hal Roach 35mm film elements. Remastered, uncut and beautifully restored, now you can see The Little Rascals like never before. With restorations so glorious, it will be like watching these iconic shorts for the first time!

A must-have for any true Our Gang fan, this set also includes over 4 hours of bonus features.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've become a bit undecided. I'm really tempted to just buy the whole Centennial Edition set (probably from DeepDiscount) and probably give away my original 5 volumes or something instead of buying the bonus disc w/ (diff) boxset case(s) and waiting for eventual reissue of the volume 6 disc -- I ain't paying the very high asking price on Amazon (as that would actually make that route more expensive than just buying the whole set... and then, I wouldn't even have the extra duped discs to show for that). :P

Decisions, decisions...

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... my "Centennial Edition" case w/bonus disc arrived today and I'm quite disappointed with that 6 disc case. It utilizes *stacking* discs for 4 of the discs (4 spindles with 2 intended to hold 2 discs stacked). The bottom disc has a slot structure where it slides partially under the top pair of discs and has very little protection, just the thin plastic outer wrap and paper, at that part of the case. It's not quite as bad as an "eco-case" but isn't that great. For a "premium" product, I expected "pages" inside the case with each disc on its own spindle. This means anyone who orders the "Centennial Edition" will get this type of case.

To add insult to injury, the inside labeling on that case doesn't reflect the original 6 disc layout but assumes the contents are the new "Centennial Edition" layout with 5 discs of shorts + the bonus disc. That means none of the titles are listed properly for those of us with *6* discs of shorts who were wanting this case for a more elegant and compact storage solution.

I'm now trying to decide what I'm going to do with it as, IMHO, it's an unacceptable storage solution.

The discs are on the bottom, single disc, spindle. The top spindle is for 2 discs, stacked. The spine tabs are intended to hold the discs in place and help prevent them coming loose in shipment/transport.
LR-Centennial w-discs.jpg
LR-Centennial wo-discs.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Well... my "Centennial Edition" case w/bonus disc arrived today and I'm quite disappointed with that 6 disc case. It utilizes *stacking* discs for 4 of the discs (4 spindles with 2 intended to hold 2 discs stacked). The bottom disc has a slot structure where it slides partially under the top pair of discs and has very little protection, just the thin plastic outer wrap and paper, at that part of the case. It's not quite as bad as an "eco-case" but isn't that great. For a "premium" product, I expected "pages" inside the case with each disc on its own spindle. This means anyone who orders the "Centennial Edition" will get this type of case.

To add insult to injury, the inside labeling on that case doesn't reflect the original 6 disc layout but assumes the contents are the new "Centennial Edition" layout with 5 discs of shorts + the bonus disc. That means none of the titles are listed properly for those of us with *6* discs of shorts who were wanting this case for a more elegant and compact storage solution.

I'm now trying to decide what I'm going to do with it as, IMHO, it's an unacceptable storage solution.

The discs are on the bottom, single disc, spindle. The top spindle is for 2 discs, stacked. The spine tabs are intended to hold the discs in place and help prevent them coming loose in shipment/transport.
View attachment 162358 View attachment 162359

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

View attachment 162358 View attachment 162359

That nudges me all the more to just buy the complete boxset (as I was already tempted) instead, not the bonus disc w/ the case.

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That nudges me all the more to just buy the complete boxset (as I was already tempted) instead, not the bonus disc w/ the case.

_Man_
Just be aware that the case that comes with the bonus disc is likely the same as you'll get with the complete set. At least the disc descriptions would match the discs inside on that set.

The more I look at it and give it thought the more I'm inclined to just toss it and keep mine in the 6 original cases in which they came. The downside is the bonus disc package doesn't match the single releases standard, clear, BR cases but is designed to look better with that 6 disc case (artwork goes all the way up - no top BR banner part), and it's a bit thicker. Practically identical to the cases Criterion uses.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Just be aware that the case that comes with the bonus disc is likely the same as you'll get with the complete set. At least the disc descriptions would match the discs inside on that set.
I received my complete Centennial Edition set today and can confirm it is indeed the same case that you got with your bonus disc order. I haven't played any of the discs but yes, presumably, the description matches the new disc layout. I was also surprised and disappointed by this case, especially the fact that two discs are stacked touching on each of two of the spindles. I think I likely will end up buying a different six disc case.

I was also somewhat disappointed that the printed film summaries included in the individual volumes are missing from the title list printed inside the complete collection cover. They were brief but well done, noting things like prominent cast member's first or last appearance. But I understand this is a space consideration with limited real estate on the inside of a single cover. I guess an insert could have included them. Fortunately I scanned those notes before selling my individual volumes; unfortunately I never acquired volume 6 so I don't have the notes I presume were included with that volume too.

I feel bad grousing about packaging when this whole project is otherwise so great. The bonus disc contents of course sound wonderful and I'm looking forward to checking them out. And I have every expectation that the shorts will look equally as beautiful as they did on the individual volumes.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
David, I would like to commend you and your team for all the wonderful work done, into this amazing collection of shorts and the fun barrel of bonus materials that you have assembled here for your release The Little Rascals: Complete Centenial Edition.
It seems that some are tossing the baby out with the bathwater here!! Could the packaging have been better, maybe...but the bottom line is the Cereal, not the box it came in!!! Looking at this collection, in it's totality, I am amazed at what you and your team were able to do and all for our benefit and for those in the future that never knew of these Hal Roach classics.
In this world there's always going to be haters...know that what you were able to accomplish will stand on it's own for generations to come!! Kudos!!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yep. We announced 3 releases yesterday. Check them out here: https://www.classicflix.com/blog/2022/11/21/british-thrillers-and-horror-this-february

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

You've got me curious. The two new Silver Series titles are listed as #22 (The Human Monster) and #23 (The Night Has Eyes). You don't seem to have anything as #21? Is that an oopsie, or is it something previously planned that's not ready for release?

And I guess with The Night Has Eyes and the previously released International Lady having separate DVD and BD editions that the Silver Series isn't DVD-only anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks