Classical SACD?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Berggren, Feb 16, 2004.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm interested in having some quiet and background music for SACD. I'm very interested in high quality classical recordings. I'm also somewhat interested in low-tempo jazz recordings.
    Can anyone make a recommendation?

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Recently found violin concertos by Mozart / Mendelssohn / Schubert on PentaTone PTC 5186 001.

Gorgeous.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Rachel Podger's "La Stravaganza" is pretty great.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Ditto on La Stravaganza.

Also check out the highly regarded "Rainbow Body" from Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc. Simply stunning!

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

I'm not sure how to answer these two questions. In general, classical music is not quiet background music. Instead it's passionate, intense foreground music.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I mean no disrespect to classical music, but it isn't party music to me. It's quiet evening music. Something you listen to when you dine with friend, or while you read a book.

I certainly respect listening to classical music loudly. I honestly don't know how to identify many pieces because I don't have the greatest amount of experience. I do know a handful of pieces I like and would love to expand my library (but on SACD rather than CD).

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Not to sound too pretentious, but it sounds like you just want white noise since you're obviously not going to be focusing on the music. I'm not sure why you need a SACD for this. One of those 'easy listening' compilations CDs should satisfy your needs.

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If I were looking for easy listening, I'd ask for easy listening. You can be as passionate as you want about "your music" but if someone asks you to advise them on good selections within your favorites, you are doing noone a service by telling them that they are not worthy to listen.

If anyone would like to kindly give me further suggestions for CLASSICAL music. Not George Winston, not Barbra Streisand, I would love to hear them.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

John,

Your question has no answer. You want music to fill the silence of background noise. To quote Dennis:

I never said this.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I am looking for classical music to use for my own purposes. If you don't like my purposes, ignore this thread.

11. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

John,

I don't blame you for wanting some decent classical music on SACD. If you go toward baroque music (such as Bach, Handel, or Vivaldi) I think you'll find what you want. Handel's Water Music on Telarc with the Boston Baroque would be perfect for your needs.