Classical SACD/DVD-A recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike_G, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    With the format being new, I wanted to know if there are any outstanding classical SACD/DVD-Audio discs. Format's irrelevant since I have both players. No preference on composer/conductor/orchestra either. Just post your favorites and why. Thanks.

Mike

2. Anthony Monaco

SACD - anything by the 'channel classics' label ( the absolute best sounding SACD's that I have & out of those Vivaldi's La Stravaganza is the most powerful).
    DVD-A's - anything by the AIX label & Naxos 'Vivaldi's Four Seasons is excellent ( & I'm not a big fan of Vivaldi).

3. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Mike, you may want to pick up a copy of The Absolute Sound magazine. The current issue highlights SACD titles, many of which are classical releases.

They also have a useful score-card "So Far: The Best in New Format Discs" in every issue. This covers both SACD & DVD-A. They give a number grade and reference which issue their review appeared in, so its helpful even if you are not a regular reader.

Online resources including highfidelityreview.com & audaud.com

The labels Anthony mentions are really excellent, but take the time to do some research first based on your listening tastes & recommendations. Just like with any label, there are some releases to pass on.

4. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I was completely blown away by AIX Records' Stravinsky/Ravel (Firebird/Bolero) DVD-A. You can read my review here...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2877

As for SACD, I quite enjoyed The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith. My review for that disc will be in the June issue of DVD, ETC. Another great sounding release.

Cheers!

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Although it's a single-layer SACD, I highly recommend the Bruno Walter - Columbia Symphony Orchestra Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E Minor Op. 98 (attached below):

[​IMG]

I love the Brahms pieces, and this SACD just sounds incredible. Very warm and sweet sounding, with a nice deep soundstage.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    All of the "pure DSD" Michael Tilson Thomas and San Fran Symphony CDs of Mahler are very, very good.

The Bruno Walter Beethoven Pastoral Symphony is superb as well.

I highly recommend anything by Channel as well. They are producing some of the best SACDs so far.

[​IMG]

7. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Sorry to resurrect this, but I didn't think this warranted a new thread. I'd like to see more classical recommendations, anyway. [​IMG]

Has anyone heard the Biber: Missa Salisburgensis disc from Archiv Produktion? Perhaps it's my fault for listening to it immediately after the Norah Jones disc, but I'm rather disappointed in the sound. The multichannel mix, in particular, seems quite muddy, though the stereo mix doesn't fare much better (though the clarity of the vocals is improved).

Opinions/reviews?

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

If you're into adventurous multi-channel mixes, check out Tacet's DVD-As. They have Bach, Mozart, Schubert, and Mendelssohn.