What's new

Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I never thought I would be saying this, but...

I am a freshman in College and have mostly been listening to rock for all my years. Unfortunatly, all my music does not seem to be recorded very well. So, I was wondering what are some good very high sound quality classical music disks? I want music similar I guess to Pachebell sp? cannon. That is by far my favorite classical music song. I think what I like most about it is that it seems so sad but also so happy? Anyways, does Telarc have some discs like this? Thanks a bunch guys. Also, if you could reccomend some jazz....

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Pachebel's (?)"Canon" is very similar to alot of J.S. Bach, Bach's music has a certain sadness, melancholy about it. Your safe with Telarc, or Duetsche Grammafon. For that period though, Bach is the best (imo). There are other moody pieces out there from later periods but are a little larger in orchestration. Some of Mozart's non-symphonic works take on this color at times also.

When I was in college studying music, I would buy the cheapo 2 for $8 cd's, find some pieces I really liked, then upgrade to the superior quality ones.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Pachelbel's Canon is from the Baroque Era of music, so I would suggest looking at other Baroque composers such as J.S. Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, and Corelli.
Looking up composers at some online site is a good way to sample music because most have streamable sound clips. (For instance, here's an Amazon link for Pachelbel: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...436553-1783202 ) Also purchasing a Baroque sampler CD is a good, easy way to hear a variety of composers.
As far as purchasing, classical is one area of music where the quality of the recording for well-known record labels is almost always high. But definitely look at Naxos discs because they are a cheap label that puts out quality recordings (most other cheap labels aren't worthwhile at all.)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Pachelbel's Canon is from the Baroque Era of music, so I would suggest looking at other Baroque composers such as J.S. Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, and Corelli.
Thus, as Baroque it is not Classical, which is another period of music. So, Johann Pachelbel's Canon is not your favorite Classical music song, it is your favorite Baroque music song, thus far. ;)
np: Jones-Smith, Inc.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Before we manage to totally confuse Jerry and put him off classical music ...

Pachelbel's canon is indeed an example of an area of classical music called, for reasons which need not detain us here, the baroque (more accurately, the early baroque). The tune is a very nice one, and it, or its chord sequence, has been used by a lot of composers afterwards (e.g. Ralph McTell's Streets of London, or try the Village People's 'Go West', which is v. similar). If you like Pachelbel, then he did write a lot of stuff besides the famous canon (in fact, just to confuse you, the canon is available as an orchestral piece and as a harpsichord piece) - check out a record store.

If you like Pachelbel, then, as has been already said, the chances are that you will like other music of the era. Composers who were near-contempories of Pachelbel include J.S. Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, and Scarlatti.

The best bet is probably to go to a record store and buy a cheap sampler of baroque music - there are a lot of them available. See what you like and then sample more of it. If you want a list of baroque's 'greatest hits', then try:

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

J.S. Bach: The Brandenberg Concertos

Handel: The Messiah

Scarlatti: practically any of the pieces for harpsichord

With Bach, start off with J.S. Bach - there are other composers named Bach (his sons) and whilst their work is good, it's best to start off with their dad's works.

Recordings: I'd personally advise you to start off with some budget recordings until you're certain you like the stuff. The Naxos label is very budget price, but the recordings and performances are generally good (indeed, IMHO, their recording of Handel's Messiah is the best available).

You also, when you get a little further into the subject of baroque music, have to make a choice between modern or period instruments recordings. Musical instruments have changed in quality since baroque music was written, and playing styles have altered as well. Performers tend either to use modern instruments with modern techniques, or instruments of the time with the playing techniques of the time. The latter, period instrument performances, are more authentic and reflect the sound the composer intended, but they may sound rather 'rough' to some modern ears. Which you prefer is up to you - again, get a cheap sampler to decide.

One final thing - 'classical music' generally refers to all type of what folks think of as 'classical music'. It originally meant just one type of music (the period following the baroque, which includes the composers Mozart and Haydn). This sounds confusing, but it's no more odd than someone talking about 'pop music'. Stricly speaking, this should just refer to the fairly lightweight stuff that gets in the charts, but the term also of course refers to a wide range of music, such as rap, metal, etc.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Before we manage to totally confuse Jerry and put him off classical music ...
What did anyone say that would confuse or dissuade Jerry? In your post you reaffirmed exactly what everyone else said. :confused:
My comment was true, though obviously lighthearted (as indicated by both the wording and the winking). Nonetheless, you repeated it as well...
Don't get me wrong, your post was truly informative. I'm just surprised by your first comment. :)
np: Bonnie Prince Billy

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
It's always nice to hear that a new person has discovered classical music!

Regarding the term "classical," it originally referred to the "Classical" age of, primarily, Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, but it is now generally used to describe all music written for the concert hall (even contemporary compositions). It is not a very good or accurate term, but nobody can come up with anything better, and the term is now well established.

My reference recording for Pachebel's "Canon and Gigue" for both sound and performance is on the audiophile label Harmonia Mundi with the London Baroque (HMC 901539). If you like this piece, I'd highly recommend Antonio Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons." It's also a Baroque work that many people, including rock lovers, love.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Andrew this was a great post !:emoji_thumbsup:
Jerry I hope you follow some of the recomendations here,they are all good,enjoy!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Scott - oops - should have been more careful with my expressions. The first line was meant to say something rather less abrasive! (I really should check over my writing more carefully). I could go back and re-edit it, but heck, let's just leave it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks