Classical Music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Prince, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Bill Prince

Bill Prince Agent

I have never listened to much classical music, however with the advent of SACD and my seemingly insatiable thirst for new discs, I am curious as to what SACDs you would recommend to an individual wanting to start listening to the classics. I know this is extremely subjective, but I am interested in you input.

2. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Anything on Sony with George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra. While the discs are stereo only SACDs, the interpretation and performances are unsurpassed.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Do a search on this forum. There has been the equivalent of your question posed several times before, and there is a lot of good material in the answers.

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Bill I agree with Dennis, but also search out Seth's posts he is a very good source for classical music.

Since you are new to the genre I'd suggest you do as I did many years ago. Start out with some well known 'bombastic' pieces that push the hearing, such as the 1812 Overture and Handel's watermusic/music for the royal fireworks. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's, Bach's organ works. Beethoven's 9th and 6th. Mozart.

Bruckner's 8th. Oh that is not on SACD [​IMG]

Maybe the new verison of The Planets with the new piece for Pluto. It is very good. But a little avant-guard. Very powerful music.

5. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

thanks [​IMG]