Classical Music Suggestions

Discussion in 'Music' started by George_W_K, Nov 4, 2004.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hey all,

I've been wanting some good classical music to listen to, except I don't really know what to buy. Are there any good DVD-A's of classical music? Or well recorded CDs? I'm basically afraid of buying something and the finding that the recording sounds like crap. Today I just bought Manheim Steamroller Meets the Mouse, and the clarity is amazing. I really like the quality of this disc, although the music is just ok.

Growing up, my father would listen to a lot of Mozart so his music tends to be my favorite, but I am open to anything, really.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    George

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

See this recent thread:

Classical Top 5's

Also, pick up a Penguin Guide to Classical Music.

Finally, the best advice I can give you is to trust your ears. Just browsing the classical section, purchasing a few things that catch your eye, and giving them a spin is not only fun, but you're bound to find something that will act as a starting point. You might want to browse Borders because they usually have a good selection of Naxos label recordings, which are usually bargain-priced quality recordings of solid performances. My favorite cycle of Beethoven piano sonatas is on this label, for example.

3. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Ma Vlast by Smetana' has always been one of my favs. If you can find notes about it it's a wonderful story
    Excellent set of six symphonic poems.

The first poem, Vysehrad (The high citadel), composed 1874, describes the great castle of that name near Prague which was once the seat of the Kings of Bohemia.

The second and best-known, Vltava (The Moldau), also from 1874, describes the course of that river from near its origin down to Prague. This movement inspired the Israeli national anthem (Hatikvah).

The third poem, Sarka, from 1875, relates a folk tale of a knight and an Amazon girl.

Fourth is From Bohemia's Fields and Forests, composed 1875, which depicts the beauty of the Bohemian countryside.

The last two poems, Tabor (from 1875) and Blanik (1879), are inspired by history and legends from the Hussite Wars.

4. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

AIX Records offers exactly what you are looking for. I too am venturing into this world and picked up AIX's Igor Stravinsky Firebird Suite disk and it is mindblowing. The minor problem I am having with it is that it plays really soft and I really, really have to crank it to get it playing loud which makes me nervous with my cheapo receiver (probably because they do not edit the recordings at all). The recording is absolutely amazing. I do not have any other disk where my speakers "disappear" like this one. You can order their disks off of their website and you can get them off of amazon. They have a mozart disk, I highly recommend checking this stuff out.

5. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll definitely be able to get a very good start. I appreciate it.

The AIX discs sound very promising, some very good reviews. Pricey though.

EDIT: I ordered the Igor Stravinsky Firebird Suite/Ravel disc as well. I found a .wav file of Ravel's Bolero and realized that this is one the pieces I've heard recently on my internet radio station that I like.

And if anyone didn't know, AIX has free shipping and a free sampler disc until X-Mas.

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    George,
    You asked two questions. The second (well-recorded redbook CDs) is sort of hard to answer simply because there are so many. The first (classical DVD-As) is easier to answer because there are hardly any. The classical music catalog is pretty much "owned" by Sony, Philips, et al. and they don't do DVD-A: they do SACD. I would guesstimate that the classical catalog is split 98%/2% SACD vs. DVD-A.

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
  8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

San Francisco Symphony - Mahler's Symphony Recordings

I only have Mahler's 1st, and the clarity is amazing, even on my 2.1 Altec Lansing computer speaker setup.

9. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Anything by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops from the Telarc label. [​IMG]