1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Classical Music in 5.1from the Perfomer's POV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris A H, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Just getting back into serious classical music listening (having a family can be distracting!) and I am fascinated by those trying to use the newer multi-channel formats to create the feeling of being in the conductor's spot, or being a member of the orchestra/ensemble/choir/etc. There is nothing I have experienced in my life that thrilled nor moved me more than conducting an orchestra, or being part of the choir in a major choral work (esp. Mahler's 2nd!). The volume levels are life-altering!

I have read about this Point-of-View idea being tried but am having a hard time find recordings.

Can anyone recommend labels that attempt this, recordings they like, where they can be bought, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Chris, not exactly classical, but the Diana Krall concert in Paris DVD puts you on a chair just to her right and slightly behind her. Of course, the size/shape of you room and the way your system is calibrated (surround levels) can make a big difference to the perceived ambience of the music. I think 5.1 music is here to stay.

Bill