Classical Music in 5.1from the Perfomer's POV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris A H, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Just getting back into serious classical music listening (having a family can be distracting!) and I am fascinated by those trying to use the newer multi-channel formats to create the feeling of being in the conductor's spot, or being a member of the orchestra/ensemble/choir/etc. There is nothing I have experienced in my life that thrilled nor moved me more than conducting an orchestra, or being part of the choir in a major choral work (esp. Mahler's 2nd!). The volume levels are life-altering!

I have read about this Point-of-View idea being tried but am having a hard time find recordings.

Can anyone recommend labels that attempt this, recordings they like, where they can be bought, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Chris, not exactly classical, but the Diana Krall concert in Paris DVD puts you on a chair just to her right and slightly behind her. Of course, the size/shape of you room and the way your system is calibrated (surround levels) can make a big difference to the perceived ambience of the music. I think 5.1 music is here to stay.

Bill