Classical DVD-A suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I notice that there are several available but I have seen little discussion about the quality of the recording or mix of the discs. Anybody have any favorites, or ones to avoid?

2. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Brian, I've never been a big classical music fan, however there is one label that I can highly recommend. Hodie. There stuff on dvd-a is unbeliveably well made and at hi-rez (192/24 stereo and 96/24 surround). I picked up the Brandenburg Concertos and this is the closest I've ever come to becoming a longhair fan. The link to their site where you can purchase is below. Check them out and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Hodie

3. Brian Burgoyne

Thanks, I guess the reason I never heard of that company is that they only sell direct from their website. Looks good but pretty expensive. I'd pay $35 for Stevie Ray Vaughn....

Any opinions on the common brands that they have at Best Buy?

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

What I have so far:

Tacet has some interesting mixes. Some may find them gimmicky. For example, Bach's Brandenburgh Concertos are recorded in such a way that each concerto done differently: one is "standard," ie, putting most of the music in the front, one has different instruments in different channels, one splits the mix on either side, etc. I enjoy them, but it's not for everybody.
    From Tacet, I have Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Bach's Motets, Schubert's Trout, and Schubert's string quintets.

I have two recordings of Bach's organ music: one by Hans Andre Stamm and one by Ton Koopman. They fill the room up nicely, thought I've heard better performances of this music.

Teldec has the all of Beethoven's Symphonies on 6 discs sold as seperate releases, conducted by Barenboim. So far, I have 1&2 (one disc) and 9. The mixes and readings are traditional (although what is a "traditional" reading on a Beethoven symphony is whole other argument). I like these discs, though.

My most recent DVD-A purchase is Teldec's recording of Dvorak's 9th, by Nikolaous Hanoncourt. This marks the third high-res recording of this piece I own, but is the only multi-channel one, so that's nice.

While I do enjoy them, so far DVD-A isn't holding a candle to the quality, selection, and amount of material for SACD. If you're serious about collecting high-res classical, I recommend checking that stuff out.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Thanks for the info Mike. I have wondered about the pipe organ disk and the Barnenboin disks. So how are the surround channels utilized and how bass if you don't have a bass management device yet? I have Monitor Audio silver 5's in front, 3's in rear.

I don't plan on getting real serious about classical music. I would just like to have a few nice disks around when I want to feel intelligent and refined! (and not eating KFC!)

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I also have a Barenboim Beethoven DVD-A (#3 Eroica), and have ordered the rest, as well as the Ton Koopman Bach Organ works. Both are outstanding examples of the format. They blow conventional CD's away with their clarity and in-the-room presence. I am also interested in buying the DVD-A of Mahler's 2nd (I forget the conductor, offhand), but it is also supposed to sound spectacular.

7. Brian Burgoyne

Thanks Jan. Upon your recommendation I shall venture out to Best Buy tomorrow and pick up one or two of your suggestions, depending what is on the shelf.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian,

I'm not a big classical music fan -- I would suggest the AIX recording of Beethoven's 6th Symphony/The Pines of Rome.

The DVD-A side contains the multi-channel mix, which is what I call a "podium perspective", it seems to be done from the conductor's podium or there about, with hall ambience in the surrounds.

The DVD-V side contains an "audience perspective" 24/96K stereo track.

Regards,

9. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I am a huge classical fan and the recent Naxos recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in DVD-A is just great. Well done.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Brian,
    The surround mixes on those Beethoven discs are rather conventional and concentrate on "filling the room," which, IMO, is very appropriate for symphonic music.

I don't feel bass management is much of an issue for classical music. There have been times where I wish I could pipe some bass to the sub while playing SACD, but never in classical. I'll have to investigate ways of doing this.

11. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I will second the AIX: Beethoven and the Naxos: Vivaldi. Also check out the AIX: Brahms and Silverline :Grieg. Silverline also has two Tchaikovsky discs: Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake and a Mendelssohn disc, but I don’t have them yet.

12. Brian Burgoyne

Thanks everyone, I got Barenboim Beethoven's 4th and 5th disc yesterday. I saw a copy of his 9th on the shelf also. Any comments on that?

Best Buy does not have a great selection of classical on dvd-a, but my daughter works there so I get great prices.

I notice Silverline has a lot of classical music, but they package it under titles such as "Romantic Moods" and it makes it sound like an ad for Victoria's Secrets, so I don't know the quality of the recordings.

Where can I look for the AIX discs online?

13. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian,
    I'm not sure who's selling them other than AIX, at http://www.aixrecords.com
    Tell Mark and Janet I said hello [​IMG]
    Regards,