What's new

Classic WWF/WWE compilations? Would anyone bite? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I was just thinking how cool it would be if the WWE were to release compilation DVD's providing a year-by-year account of storylines, events, etc. If anyone remembers the old "Best of the WWF" VHS series from the 80's, then you probably know what I'm talking about.

Take 1985 for example. The WWE could create a DVD chronicling the events and storylines during that year, such as the first Wrestlemania.....the collaboration between the WWF and MTV, the introduction of Randy "Macho Man" Savage, etc.

I'm not sure how well something like this would sell, but for us wrestling nostalgics out there, I think it'd be great. I was about 7 years old when I started watching wrestling in '85 and would love to own something like this.

Any thoughts??

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Its an interesting concept, and they could take it a step further and do the year in American wrestling since they have the NWA/WCW footage as well as ECW and the AWA...but it probably won't happen.

WWE: the best of 1993 would be a blank DVD.

But beyond that, the company doesn't really realize yet the full potential of its library and because McMahon himself is not all that big on company history...well...it won't happen.

I'm sure that there would be a market for it but I think the market is better for wrestler themed DVDs like Savage and Steamboat and so on and so forth.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see some WCW dvds and some of the older WWF 80's & 90's stuff released.

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
YES I would be all over that...

Seeing the ECW DVD and the Ric Flair DVD is watering my appetite. I wish the WWF would do a boxed set of Wrestlemania one through 20. My VHS' are SO grainy.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I would be interested in best of the WWWF from 1963 until the late 70s when junior took over. You can keep it after that.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Vince Jr. may have taken over in the late 70's, although I don't actually recall him being really in charge until after his father died...but the WWE did release 1 DVD with a wealth of that footage on it called WWE: the Best of the cage matches.

Its interesting because the WWWF stuff may be the least complicated stuff to release, because of no rights issues with the voice of Jesse Ventura, no problem with a logo or anything like that.

I think though that the most likely source of WWWF material will be WWE 24-7.

Steve, I am not worried for I am wearing my Giant Gonzales naked body suit complete with hair for protection. Plus, I took the extra percaussion of having Papa Shango curse the driver of the Lex Express. Unfortunately, when we found out that it was 1 of the 2 Doink's we were not sure if we cursed the right one. We sent the Shockmaster out to do some investigative reporting, but his work was never completed because he tripped on his way out the door. This meant that we had to hop on a boat with Sting and Davy Boy Smith to go to an island where we were to play volleyball. Of course, things went badly as Vader and Sid Vicious found out where we were and with the help of an evil midget...they blew up our boat and we were stranded. We saught help off the island, but the first 2 guys were no help. One just kept saying yo baby yo baby yo! While the other kept blabbing about men being on a mission.
We managed to survive for a time when we found a giant egg that looked like it was 3 years old or so. When it finally hatched the creature inside seemed intent on finding a bald guy and making him do a stupid dance in the ring while thousands of people begged for mercy. He was delicious. Of course, our fortune was changing until a mysterious figure came over the loud speaker and taunted me about my past. Something about a beach in 1986.
We eventually found a very helpful person who suggested a way for us to get off the island in between verses of "tie me kangaroo down."
We got off the island with the help of someone who was not a fish, but a man who from time to time immitated not 1 but 2 different natural disasters. Curiously this man asked us "dude why didn't you just call Tugboat?" at 1-800-big-evad
That was just one of many wrestling adventures I've had. Maybe sometime I'll tell you about the time I was nearly hung from a symbol that looked like a cross, but honest it wasn't while being taunted by a guy who would later run around the ring naked. I managed to survive that night only to wind up the only white guy stuck in a gang war between Puerto Rican's, an entire nation of black guys, and some pissed off motor cycle riders.
As for what became of our attempt to derail the Lex Express...well, fortunately everyone forgot about it and moved on to something else.

In other words, WWF should put out wrestlecrap the DVD!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
In 1993, we had the Brooklyn Brawler AND MVP!!!!!

Giant Gonsalez at Wrestlmania 9... heh, in Caeser's Palace, with the WWF debut of Jim Ross!

Right now, we still have the VHS tapes, with a lot of fun matches. I can not wait for Bret Hart DVD!

Ryan

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

LOL, I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. That was just hilarious. I remember when I was a kid, my friends and I would marvel at the wonder that was Giant Gonzales. LOL. I'll never get over the air brushed muscles. I will admit though that I enjoyed his match against Undertaker at Wrestlemania 9.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
You know R2 has all the oldschool PPV events on DVD in 2-disc sets under the "Tagged Classics" moniker, like SummerSlam 93, Royal Rumble '91, Wrestlemania '89, etc... In fact, I think they're available as double-features, two events / subsequent years per disc.

I wish these would all come to R1, I'm not a wrestling fan but these would be a serious nostlagia purchase for me! I eventually hope that all these events up until about '94 are released. For some reason, none of the Survivor Series are available though. Those were the best!

I remember the excitement that would build up days before an event... my friend had the illegal black box so like 2-3 times a year we'd have huge WWF parties at his house and his mom would order pizza and we'd turn the entire basement into a wrestling ring, haha.

I hope these all come to R1 DVD in the near future. Does anyone know if the UK discs are edited or cut btw, or are they presented in complete form as they originally broadcast?

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
I think McMahon is working his way around to these. It's only a matter of time. Wish I could find the steel cage one at a discount.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see something like this. One of the things I enjoyed about the Wrestling Gold set was the commentaries that gave some insight into the storylines and angles that were going on at the time. Something that gave an overview of the history of the various companies could be a lot of fun to watch.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Well since 1972 I've been a Wrestling fan. I taped tons since VHS has been in. I own all the NWA, AWA, WWF, Portland, and some WCW Thunder episodes. Nitro never came on or NWA TNA shows in our area.

I have many original classics from when they aired. But some title changes and stuff and PPV's I'd love to get on DVD.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Get it out, and get it all out soon...

Now, about those Wrestlemania and Starrcade Uncut Boxsets...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

I would LOVE to own all of the Wrestlemanias on DVD. As I said months ago in a previous "Wrestlemania XX" thread, I own 1 through 19 on VHS. Wrestlemania 1 through 15 were comprised of a box set entitled "Wrestlemania: The Legacy". Following that, I basically bought 16 through 19 each year following as they were released.

Now, I own Wrestlemania XX on DVD after MUCH thought. I was pretty much torn since I owned the first 19 on VHS and wanted to stay consistent with that format...........until I learned that 1 1/2 hours were cut from the VHS edition of Wrestlemania XX.

Anyway, I'd gladly purchase DVD editions of each Wrestlemania, preferably uncut. I'd also like to see extras such as original promos for each event (i.e. pay-per-view ads), and perhaps press conferences prior to each Wrestlemania.

I have to wonder though if it'll ever happen. I was hoping WWE would've released them on DVD to coincide with Wrestlemania's 20th anniversary, but I was wrong in that assumption.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Not likely, because even if they release all the WM's with the matches in tact, the fact is that they will still likely remove any commentary from Jesse Ventura since they'd rather not pay him royalties on that which stems from a previous court case. That is why on the current DVDs in a majority of cases they have edited his commentary out entirely. Now there are certain years which were not affected by the court case and that's why he hasn't totally been removed, but the Jesse thing more than anything else is the reason that Wrestlemania hasn't come out yet on DVD. The WWF/E logo thing is also a high reason.

It might be awhile if ever before you see those come out, just as a word of warning.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon

Does this mean I should not hope for Steamboat-Savage (WM III) on DVD anytime soon?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Casey, what about on the R2 double-feature discs?

Have they all been edited as well and are the pre-90 events subject to this also?

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Wasn't the only WWF logo that was banned the "scratch" logo from the Attitude era? I thought the old-school one was OK

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Nick Graham (fellow htf'er) and I were just talking about these a couple of days ago. Vince just needs to cut a deal with Jessie. Vince would have to pay some of each dvd to Jessie, but I think the profits would far outweigh the cost. Plus, it's dumb to watch some of the WCW stuff on the Flair set and hear Tony Schavonie talk to himself because Jessie is no longer there.

I would also kill for some of the earlier Wrestlemanias, Flair set volume 2 (which volume 1 sold very well) and a Sting set, which I doubt will ever happen because he was never in the WWF/E.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks