What's new

Official HTF Western Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The climax at the end has been the main criticism of the film for many years.
Which climax? I watched the longer version on the pre release cut and on the Bogdonavich supplement he states that the longer ending is Hawks favorite even tho it's not on his preferred theatrical cut. Apparent the theatrical ending was shortened due to threat of litigation from Howard Hughes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Such a spectacular film. The shots of the herd moving across the plains were amazing. What choreography. And what a performance by Wayne. So unlikeable and likable at the same time. What a towering presence he was.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm talking about the happy ending.
SPOILER. SPOILER

How should it have ended according to the criticisms? Matt killing Dunsun? Dunsun killing Matt? Killing all the mutineers? I actually like the "happy" ending. They loved each other. Makes sense to me.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Not to get into details, but the Criterion RED RIVER is full of supplements that dig into the how and why the movie ends as it does. And one of the extras is a reprint of the story the movie was based upon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thats the version I have. And I'm going thru the supplements as I type this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw I wonder. Was it legal to KILL a man for deserting a cattle drive in the 1800's?[emoji848]

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
No. Wayne's character is supposed to be both slipping over the line, but also seemingly doing what he must to succeed. Hawks was obsessed with that Right Stuff, "you've either got it or you don't" theme.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished Delmer Daves 3:10 TO YUMA.

Really enjoyed it. A very interesting character study. Loved the slowish pace ( compared to the epics I've been watching recently). Glenn Ford was terrific as was Van Heflin. Simple story well told. Haven't seen the remake in years so I'm wondering how it compares.

I like Elmore Leonard's description of the film as 3:10 past High Noon. [emoji2]

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. I watched the supplement where he was disappointed that they changed his ending. Said the new one made no sense and the writers agreed saying they were just doing what they were told to do by the director.

Shit. Delmer. Sorry

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Finished John Sturges' GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL

I thought it was a good film. Another historically inaccurate telling of the Wyatt Earpe legend. Really liked Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday...much more so than Victor Mature in Clementine. Burt Lancaster was fine as Earp but I preferred Fonda in Clementine.

Great Vista Vision photography, good story and solid acting all around....and a catchy tune.

[emoji443] Boot Hill....Boot Hill....so cold....so still [emoji443]

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Finished John Sturges' GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL

I thought it was a good film. Another historically inaccurate telling of the Wyatt Earpe legend. Really liked Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday...much more so than Victor Mature in Clementine. Burt Lancaster was fine as Earp but I preferred Fonda in Clementine.

Great Vista Vision photography, good story and solid acting all around....and a catchy tune.

[emoji443] Boot Hill....Boot Hill....so cold....so still [emoji443]

Agreed re Kirk Douglas. His scenes with the amazing Jo Van Fleet were especially electric.

Not so sure about the tune though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Agreed re Kirk Douglas. His scenes with the amazing Jo Van Fleet were especially electric.

Not so sure about the tune though.
I've been humming it all morning and my wife's like " what the hell are you singing??"[emoji13]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks