What's new

Official HTF Western Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I love this one! If you like it, also check out John Wayne’s North To Alaska, and heck, Clark Gable’s Call Of The Wild.
I’ve seen North To Alaska during the course of this thread. I liked it but not as much as most. I need to revisit it. I’ll check out Call Of The Wild.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For me, North to Alaska, falls a smidgen outside western territory as it's more about the Gold Rush. I really enjoy lots of those type films but don't really consider them to be westerns in the traditional sense. And, yes, I know it's truly a very, very, fine line.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For me, North to Alaska, falls a smidgen outside western territory as it's more about the Gold Rush. I really enjoy lots of those type films but don't really consider them to be westerns in the traditional sense. And, yes, I know it's truly a very, very, fine line.
Sorta like The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Sorta like The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Yes, I always listed them as Adventure instead of Western.
But North To Alaska at least is set in the same timeframe as the western era.

The differences between these two films is just, the one is a fun light adventure film. The other is more serious and grim.
I like the latter better. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Up next....

Newcomer Will Lockhart defies the local cattle baron and his sadistic son by working for one of his oldest rivals.

1610628038849.jpeg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since I already started before you responded:

There’s no continuity between them so you can watch in any order.

1. Pals of the Saddle
2. Overland Stage Raiders
3. Santa Fe Stampede
4. Red River Range
5. The Night Riders
6. Three Texas Steers
7. Wyoming Outlaw
8. New Frontier (also called Frontier Horizon - theres an earlier unrelated Wayne movie also called The New Frontier so watch out you’re getting the right one)

I think I liked Overland Stage Raiders the best. You’ve got cowboys, a ventriloquist dummy, airline robberies and missing uranium and silent star Louise Brooks in her final role - what’s not to love?
A few of these were on sale for $4.99 on iTunes.

I picked up
Overland Stage Raiders
Red River Range

Plus
The Lonely Trail
Three Faces West
Westward Ho

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anthony Mann’s The Man From Laramie.

The last collaboration between Mann and Stewart may be my favorite. I really enjoyed James Stewart’s performance in this one, his favorite. I’ve grown to really appreciate Mr Stewart since I’ve been watching him in these classic westerns. A completely different style than John Wayne and that’s a good thing.

I liked the story very much which reminded me a bit of The Big Country.

Arthur Kennedy was terrific as Donald Crisp’s #1, tasked with keeping his unruly son in line.

Tremendous CinemaScope photography enhances this western and the supporting cast elevates its deserved reputation as a classic western indeed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s too new to be a classic, but one day may be - last night I rented the Tom Hanks film News Of The World and found it to be outstanding, and worthy of discussion alongside many of the other films in this thread. Check it out when you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks