What's new

Official HTF Western Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Are those films region A?

Pretty sure Robert is correct. I get confused because I have a region free player and a region A player and the region A will play discs from other regions but I have to use the STOP/TOP MENU trick to get them to play. So, I always forget how something played and if it was region locked or not. I can check them and throw one in to see. I think most of the Indicator releases are region free but again I'm not 100% certain that's true. I'll report back once I have put one of the discs in the region A player.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
This boxed set is from the UK therefor not code A only. But as Robert stated probably playable on region A players.
When Reggie W checked his disc(s) we will know for sure.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
703A3B01-E216-47EF-BEBF-68E9D9BC2671.jpeg

Well the answer is they are region free it is actually right on the back of the boxes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
What in the Sam Hill? I go through 16 pages on "Classic Westerns" and no one has mentioned Rocky Mountain yet? No one is eligible for the Western Fan's Badge of Honor until they've watched that - and liked it. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What in the Sam Hill? I go through 16 pages on "Classic Westerns" and no one has mentioned Rocky Mountain yet? No one is eligible for the Western Fan's Badge of Honor until they've watched that - and liked it. :)
As you already know, I did mention it in this thread. It's been a few year since my last viewing so I'm going to break out my DVD of it this week.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As you already know, I did mention it in this thread. It's been a few year since my last viewing so I'm going to break out my DVD of it this week.

I know you mentioned it there, Robert. I was only referring to this thread (and was really only funnin' with the guys). :)

Glad to hear you'll be breaking it out again. I never tire of watching it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know you mentioned it there, Robert. I was only referring to this thread (and was really only funnin' with the guys). :)

Glad to hear you'll be breaking it out again. I never tire of watching it.
In fairness, it's not a well known western even with Flynn starring in it. I love the film, but there aren't too many of my friends that ever heard of it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In fairness, it's not a well known western even with Flynn starring in it. I love the film, but there aren't too many of my friends that ever heard of it.

No, I completely agree with you. It's not well known, which is a crying shame because it really is a nice little western. Shot all on location, with a great ensemble cast. Hope it comes to HD some day, but I know that might be a pipe dream.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gotta check that one out. Sadly not familiar with it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tall In The Saddle. What a terrific John Wayne western. To be honest, I never heard of this film until recently and picked it up for $4.99 on iTunes.

It is a terrifically entertaining film with The Duke in top form aided by the wonderfully kooky Gabby Hayes (Now I get the Blazing Saddles character).

it’s a brisk 85 minutes of action, romance, villains and lovely ladies. Loved it.

***Slight Spoilers***
Cowboy Rocklin (John Wayne) rides into a dusty western township where he's been promised work on a ranch. But when he finds that his future boss has been gunned down, he's forced to find work elsewhere. Despite his sexist attitudes, Rocklin charms the fiery Arly (Ella Raines) with his cavalier bravado and lands a job at her family's ranch. There, however, he learns that Judge Garvey (Ward Bond) was involved in his original employer's murder and is now trying to steal the dead man's land.

4ACCCEE5-4E4C-4341-A191-8394CE1F56D5.jpeg

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I don’t see the Alamo mentioned at all- I would have thought it would show up in one or two lists.
maybe it’s not really considered a western?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t see the Alamo mentioned at all- I would have thought it would show up in one or two lists.
maybe it’s not really considered a western?
I created this thread as a running list of classic westerns that I was discovering. Haven’t gotten to The Alamo yet which is the only reason I haven’t included it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I created this thread as a running list of classic westerns that I was discovering. Haven’t gotten to The Alamo yet which is the only reason I haven’t included it.
I think it’s a great film. I think that when you do get to it you’ll like it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tall In The Saddle. What a terrific John Wayne western. To be honest, I never heard of this film until recently and picked it up for $4.99 on iTunes.

It is a terrifically entertaining film with The Duke in top form aided by the wonderfully kooky Gabby Hayes (Now I get the Blazing Saddles character).

it’s a brisk 85 minutes of action, romance, villains and lovely ladies. Loved it.

***Slight Spoilers***
Cowboy Rocklin (John Wayne) rides into a dusty western township where he's been promised work on a ranch. But when he finds that his future boss has been gunned down, he's forced to find work elsewhere. Despite his sexist attitudes, Rocklin charms the fiery Arly (Ella Raines) with his cavalier bravado and lands a job at her family's ranch. There, however, he learns that Judge Garvey (Ward Bond) was involved in his original employer's murder and is now trying to steal the dead man's land.

View attachment 80986
I don't know how I missed your post about one of my five favorite John Wayne movies of all-time. I've been a fan of this movie since I was a little kid. Without a doubt, some of my affinity for this movie is due to Ella Raines. I still have that boyhood crush on her. Just an entertaining movie that I try to watch every year or two.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't know how I missed your post about one of my five favorite John Wayne movies of all-time. I've been a fan of this movie since I was a little kid. Without a doubt, some of my affinity for this movie is due to Ella Raines. I still have that boyhood crush on her. Just an entertaining movie that I try to watch every year or two.
I don’t know how I missed this film on my first go around with classic westerns. Not sure it was even mentioned in this thread earlier. But yeah I loved it. And Ella Raines...wow! Stunningly beautiful. Is this film available on Blu ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks