What's new

Classic Westerns (11 Viewers)

ponset

Supporting Actor
Real Name
scott
While not a great western, I did enjoy watching Ronald Reagan in "Law and Order".
Russell Johnson, Chubby Johnson, Dennis Weaver, and Jack Kelly have supporting role.
Dorothy Malone doesn't have much to do but stand around and look Pretty. :wub:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One glaring omission on that list, or maybe I overlooked it. The Ox Bow Incident. A classic.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There was a television special that had Scorsese talking about his personal "journey" through cinema and it is from that. Scorsese is always interesting to listen to because he is such a film nerd. He just loves movies.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's called "The Century Of Cinema: A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies" - Miramax put it out on DVD and it's well worth a look!

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Resurrecting an old thread I started 3 years ago.

I went on a binge after discovering The Searchers and saw a bunch but tailed off.

Left off after watching War Wagon (1967) and entertaining romp with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas.

Next up

Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) which I only saw once years ago and don’t recall much.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hated Once Upon A Time In The West, though everyone else loved it. May you have a better experience than mine :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I never cared for spaghetti westerns in general so in hindsight it makes sense that I didn’t love it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I never cared for spaghetti westerns in general so in hindsight it makes sense that I didn’t love it.
Same with me and I grew up during that phase. There were some exceptions, but generally I wasn't a spaghetti western fan back then. I'm still not, but my exception list has grown some since my childhood.:)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Meanwhile, give me any low budget b-movie western with John Wayne cracking a few jokes and a smile and riding a horse, and I’m in!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I hated Once Upon A Time In The West, though everyone else loved it. May you have a better experience than mine :)

I don't like it either. And so you're not alone!

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but the 1954 Western Garden of Evil is one I've watched probably half a dozen times since it came out on blu-ray. The score by Bernard Herrmann is fantastic imho. And the cast is great too—Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark, Susan Hayward, Rita Moreno, etc. Compelling CinemaScope photography of Mexico under the solid direction of Henry Hathaway. And again that score, which is available isolated, and that's how I've experienced this movie more than once as I'm puttering around the house working on other things....

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was prejudiced against Spaghetti Westerns in my youth and refused to watch them. Now I've become an enthusiast. Of course, the greatest of them all is Once upon a Time in the West, lifted by the most sublime score by the master, Ennio Morricone. And the actors: Fonda at his meanest; Cardinale at her loveliest; Bronson; Robards, etc. And the crane shot at the end accompanied by Edda dell'Orso's celestial vocals...perfection!

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I hated Once Upon A Time In The West, though everyone else loved it...

Same here. I loved the trio starring Clint Eastwood, and finally got to see "Once Upon A Time In The West" on the big screen last year.
Huge disappointment. I thought it was a wildly overrated mess.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, there are classic Western pairings that are not to be missed, Ford-Wayne, Mann-Stewart, and of course, Boetticher-Scott. This set is a must own if you are a lover of classic Westerns...

Budd Box.png

Great tight stories with a bunch of wonderful supporting actors. I would say if you like Wayne and Ford, and Stewart and Mann...you have to get these.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So, there are classic Western pairings that are not to be missed, Ford-Wayne, Mann-Stewart, and of course, Boetticher-Scott. This set is a must own if you are a lover of classic Westerns...

View attachment 60139

Great tight stories with a bunch of wonderful supporting actors. I would say if you like Wayne and Ford, and Stewart and Mann...you have to get these.
Are those films region A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holidaypotnetial