Classic Westerns (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just finished McLintock

I thought it was a very lighthearted comedy/western about..........spanking? Indian rights? Young love? Mud. Lots of mud.

The Duke and Maureen O'Hara have a great natural chemistry that helps the film along.

I much prefer the more serious Wayne Westerns. This one was a bit too farcical and silly for my taste.

Next up

THE PROFESSIONALS
I kind of expected that reaction about the film from you. This film is for hard core Wayne fans that have seen this film whenever it first came out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This one was a bit too farcical and silly for my taste.

I totally respect that, but I think that's why I'll probably like it! Not that I haven't enjoyed his serious roles, but there's something about seeing a leading man known for being the more serious, stronger type being subjected to comedic mayhem.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I totally respect that, but I think that's why I'll probably like it! Not that I haven't enjoyed his serious roles, but there's something about seeing a leading man known for being the more serious, stronger type being subjected to comedic mayhem.

Then you'll probably enjoy North To Alaska too Josh. I enjoyed it more than McLintock (which I DID like despite my issues with it).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Speaking of the Duke being lighthearted, you guys have seen his I Love Lucy appearance, right?

I had never seen him doing anything remotely close to comedy when I first saw those episodes, and I thought it was a stroke of comic genius!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which film in your opinion is the Dukes worst? Let's say after Stagecoach when he became a star.
He was out of place in The Conqueror. A guilty pleasure of mine is The Green Berets. Love the action, but the writing wasn't good in it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Richard Brooks THE PROFESSIONALS.

Loved it. Terrific action adventure western.

Loved the story of four professionals each with their own specialty hired to rescue the kidnapped wife of a rich man

Great script. Deeper than most of its ilk and ahead of its time.

Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin made a great team on screen (not off apparently) and played off each other nicely.

Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Jack Palance and a yummy Claudia Cardinale round up the impressive supporting cast.

One of the best classic westerns I've seen so far.
[emoji294][emoji294][emoji294][emoji294]1/2 out of [emoji294][emoji294][emoji294][emoji294][emoji294]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks