What's new

Classic TV Westerns (1 Viewer)

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
My favorite western series is The High Chaparral followed by The Virginian, Alias Smith and Jones and Brisco County jr.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would also recommend Have Gun Will Travel as worth getting - especially if you can find the complete series set for $45 which is what I think I paid last year for it from Amazon. I’ve been savoring rather than rushing through the show so I’m not even at the halfway point, but it’s fantastic, with some episodes that are truly timeless.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would also recommend Have Gun Will Travel as worth getting - especially if you can find the complete series set for $45 which is what I think I paid last year for it from Amazon. I’ve been savoring rather than rushing through the show so I’m not even at the halfway point, but it’s fantastic, with some episodes that are truly timeless.

Man, though, it's tough. It's one of the few shows I cn just keep watching. I cannot stop at one or two. I at least crank through a whole disc beofre putting the set back on the shelf. It's that good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, though, it's tough. It's one of the few shows I cn just keep watching. I cannot stop at one or two. I at least crank through a whole disc beofre putting the set back on the shelf. It's that good.

Just sheer exhaustion at the end of the day does it for me. At the beginning of every evening I imagine all the TV I’m finally gonna watch and then by the time I sit down, it’s all I can do to make it through one Have Gun and one Our Miss Brooks.

I love all the Gene Roddenberry penned episodes I’ve encountered so far and all the Andrew MacLachlan directed ones. If I see either of their names on an upcoming one, it’s hard to pass it up.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
All the great western drama series have already been mentioned, but in the sub-genrè of comedic westerns, in addition to the immortal Maverick (5 seasons, 1957-62, first three the James Garner years, but there's good stuff to be had in the whole run) I'd also highly recommend the excellent single season series Yancy Derringer (1958-59, 34 half hour episodes) starring the great Jock Mahoney. An absolutely terrific show available on DVD from TMG...it's a damn crime that Yancy Derringer didn't last longer...and for a late period comedic western, Alias Smith and Jones (1971-73, three seasons available in a nice TMG complete series box set) was a delightful re-discovery for me.

Last edited:

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Thanks, everyone. I pretty much added all suggestions to my shopping cart. I will probably get going on them next year. This year, I will continue Bonanza, The Wild Wild West, and start on The Rifleman. I am getting the Gunsmoke Complete Series set for Christmas, so I will tackle that next year too.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Hi all I just joined.I am a big fan of classic tv westerns and movies.Some of my favs are Bonanza,Tales of Wells
Fargo,Lawman,Laramie,Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,Have Gun,Will Travel.I love watching Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo in HD and I downloaded both series.Cisco Kid and Roy Rogers are also lots of fun. It would be great to see Adventues of Rin Tin Tin available and uncut in good video quality.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hi all I just joined.I am a big fan of classic tv westerns and movies.Some of my favs are Bonanza,Tales of Wells
Fargo,Lawman,Laramie,Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp,Have Gun,Will Travel.I love watching Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo in HD and I downloaded both series.Cisco Kid and Roy Rogers are also lots of fun. It would be great to see Adventues of Rin Tin Tin available and uncut in good video quality.

Welcome to our forum! Glad to see you here. I understand you like Have Gun Will Travel-- that was the first Western I ever took a liking to (the first-season release for a sawbuck at Walmart got me into it; finished it in short order, and now have all of that 1957-63 CBS Western).

Here is that Have Gun all-in-one on Amazon, with, IMO, a good price ($44):

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Thanks for the link.I do have the complete HGWT series on dvd.I always enjoy seeing Paladin whip out his hidden derringer
when the bad guy thinks he has the drop/upper hand on him.And he does look cool dressed all in black.Likewise my fav Cartwright Adam in Bonanza. I am considering buying an external blu ray writer/burner for my laptop so I can make a homemade bluray set of of Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo. THE Virginian is streaming on Amazon prime but it has those annoying IMBD ads in each episode.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks for the link.I do have the complete HGWT series on dvd.I always enjoy seeing Paladin whip out his hidden derringer
when the bad guy thinks he has the drop/upper hand on him.And he does look cool dressed all in black.Likewise my fav Cartwright Adam in Bonanza. I am considering buying an external blu ray writer/burner for my laptop so I can make a homemade bluray set of of Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo. THE Virginian is streaming on Amazon prime but it has those annoying IMBD ads in each episode.

Not a problem! Being as you have all of Have Gun Will Travel on DVD, have you ever considered Wanted: Dead or Alive? That's another one of my favorites.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Sugarfoot is something Starz would be able to acquire from Warners, but it would cost a bundle to remaster Colt .45. I'd like to see Temple Houston too, but Starz would pony up for a new set of transfers for that forgotten western series!

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I have never seen a single episode of Temple Houston as i am sure most people have not.But reading about the show seems interesting nice cast but it seems they rushed the filming and could not decide exactly how they main character and direction the show should go.Bronco would be fun to see on Starz and bring back Cisco Kid its not in Hd on IMBD.

Jesuswestern07

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Q
I always avoided collecting this genre for some reason. I only had "The Big Valley" and "The Loner." I am now collecting "Bonanza" and "The Wild, Wild West." I don't need every western ever made, but I would like some opinions as to what I should have in my collection to make it well-rounded. I own 135 series on dvd and blu-ray, but many are sitcoms, animation, fantasy, and drama. Anyway, here are the series I am considering. Please add to my list if you want:

1. Gunsmoke
2. The Rifleman
3. Wagon Train
4. Wanted: Dead or Alive
5. Maverick
6. Laramie
7. The Virginian
I don't know how to navigate this forum. I'm new. I hear that you're the moviebuff around these here parts. I wanted someone's help to identify a western tv show. I have very little information. It's a black and white western tv show. The main character is a sheriff. The one episode I watched was when he was defending a town from bandits, but no one in the town wanted to help. He goes to church, and the bandits call him out. He goes out to defend the townspeople alone. The preacher goes to defend him, and one by one the oldest and most crippled people of the town go to defend the sheriff. So the sheriff is about to face off with some bandits with the church people who go to defend the town with him, but he tells the lead bandit to face him alone, and basically tells the bandit he has no courage for fighting elderly people. So the sheriff and bandit face each other alone, and the sheriff wins.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I always avoided collecting this genre for some reason. I only had "The Big Valley" and "The Loner." I am now collecting "Bonanza" and "The Wild, Wild West." I don't need every western ever made, but I would like some opinions as to what I should have in my collection to make it well-rounded. I own 135 series on dvd and blu-ray, but many are sitcoms, animation, fantasy, and drama. Anyway, here are the series I am considering. Please add to my list if you want:

1. Gunsmoke
2. The Rifleman
3. Wagon Train
5. Maverick
6. Laramie
7. The Virginian
I enjoyed Have Gun Will Travel and The Rebel-- you might like those.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

1. Gunsmoke
2. The Rifleman
3. Wagon Train
5. Maverick
6. Laramie
7. The Virginian
Technically, I wouldn't call The Wild Wild West a western*. It just happened to take place in the same time period as many westerns. It was basically a spy program. Would you call F Troop a western?
*Except for the "turd" season when CBS forced the producers to make more traditional western episodes. Always thought most of the third season was boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks