Classic TV Westerns

GlennC

Agent
Real Name
Glenn
My favorite western series is The High Chaparral followed by The Virginian, Alias Smith and Jones and Brisco County jr.

Reactions: Flashgear

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would also recommend Have Gun Will Travel as worth getting - especially if you can find the complete series set for $45 which is what I think I paid last year for it from Amazon. I’ve been savoring rather than rushing through the show so I’m not even at the halfway point, but it’s fantastic, with some episodes that are truly timeless.

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I would also recommend Have Gun Will Travel as worth getting - especially if you can find the complete series set for $45 which is what I think I paid last year for it from Amazon. I’ve been savoring rather than rushing through the show so I’m not even at the halfway point, but it’s fantastic, with some episodes that are truly timeless.
Man, though, it's tough. It's one of the few shows I cn just keep watching. I cannot stop at one or two. I at least crank through a whole disc beofre putting the set back on the shelf. It's that good.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, though, it's tough. It's one of the few shows I cn just keep watching. I cannot stop at one or two. I at least crank through a whole disc beofre putting the set back on the shelf. It's that good.
Just sheer exhaustion at the end of the day does it for me. At the beginning of every evening I imagine all the TV I’m finally gonna watch and then by the time I sit down, it’s all I can do to make it through one Have Gun and one Our Miss Brooks.

I love all the Gene Roddenberry penned episodes I’ve encountered so far and all the Andrew MacLachlan directed ones. If I see either of their names on an upcoming one, it’s hard to pass it up.

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randall
All the great western drama series have already been mentioned, but in the sub-genrè of comedic westerns, in addition to the immortal Maverick (5 seasons, 1957-62, first three the James Garner years, but there's good stuff to be had in the whole run) I'd also highly recommend the excellent single season series Yancy Derringer (1958-59, 34 half hour episodes) starring the great Jock Mahoney. An absolutely terrific show available on DVD from TMG...it's a damn crime that Yancy Derringer didn't last longer...and for a late period comedic western, Alias Smith and Jones (1971-73, three seasons available in a nice TMG complete series box set) was a delightful re-discovery for me.

Last edited:

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Thanks, everyone. I pretty much added all suggestions to my shopping cart. I will probably get going on them next year. This year, I will continue Bonanza, The Wild Wild West, and start on The Rifleman. I am getting the Gunsmoke Complete Series set for Christmas, so I will tackle that next year too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkoenig4