What's new

Classic TV Shows (1 Viewer)

Ku88

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
What are the top classic TV shows (talking 50's and 60's here) that have yet to be released? The tops on my list would have to be Dennis the Menace, Mr. Ed seasons sets, and My Three Sons.

Are these just not beg enough sellers for the studios to put these out? Are they not willing even if they are sure to get guaranteed sales from these niche markets?

I can't believe they can put out a show like Men Behaving Badly that had 1.5 seasons back in the mid 90's (and I admit that I liked this show back then, but no one that I've ever talked to has ever seen it), but leave Dennis the Menace on the shelf. And I will be devastated if the leave Leave it to Beaver unfinished. It would be an absolute travesty.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Donna Reed
Batman
Burns & Allen
season sets
Dobie Gillis
Peyton Place
Car 54, Where Are You?
(but there are rumors for an '07 release)
The Mod Squad
season sets for:
Bonanza
The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
These shows have PD episodes out already
Thriller with Boris Karloff
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
77 Sunset Strip
The FBI
The Defenders
Marcus Welby, M.D.
Our Miss Brooks
December Bride
The Bold Ones
The Name Of The Game
The Rookies
Vegas
The High Chapparal
The Farmer's Daughter
He & She
Love On A Rooftop
Owen Marshall, Attorney at Law
The Green Hornet
Adventures In Paradise
Lou Grant
Room 222
Route 66
Ben Casey
Dr. Kildare
- and that's just for openers!

I merely thought of major hits and cult favorites of the 50s-70s that came from the top of my head. I'm sure the rest of you can add even more vintage shows to the list. It couldn't hurt- after all, someone from the studios may be reading this!

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also like to see the following:

Surfside Six
Bourbon Street Beat
Hawaiian Eye
The Rebel
Jungle Jim
Yancy Derringer
Roy Rogers
Bat Masterson
Annie Oakley
Sea Hunt
Bronco
Broken Arrow
Captain Gallant of the Foreign Legion
Colt .45
Fury
Home Run Derby
Laramie
Maverick
Richard Diamond
Shotgun Slade
Sugarfoot
The Silent Service

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

All of the above shows have at least some episodes available from some of the public domain releasing companies like Alpha Video, Timeless Media Group, Critics Choice Video, and a few others. Granted, these aren't full season sets and the a/v quality is less than what you would expect from the major studios but, if you need a quick "fix" for these shows, they are available . . . just not in the form that most of us would prefer to see them. Of the above list, "Maverick" actually did get an official release from Warner Brothers in the form of a 3-episode, single disc as part of their "Television Favorites" line as a "try out" to determine consumer interest. Apparently, sales weren't sufficient since there was never any follow-up, unlike "Cheyenne," which did get a season 1 release last year.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

First, welcome to the "club", Scott. This is THE forum for TV/DVD threads, and if you haven't yet visited TVSHOWSONDVD.COM, that's THE place for all the latest TV/DVD release info, as well as some other goodies :)

Many here have wondered the same things as you mentioned. There are several reasons that it seems (to us) that the studios sit on a lot of classic shows in the vaults. Some of the reasons are cost, ie rights/clearance expenses/issues, and as you said, it's a business first so they try to project sales potential of the older TV shows. Also, IMO, we see a lot more DVD releases of recent and current shows since they benefit from the maturing of the home video industry. Just think what it would have been like if DVD's had been available at the time the classic series were being broadcast in their initial runs. We'd be in "collecting-Heaven" :)

My list is small compared to these classic series "aces" here :) but I'm waiting for a few. They're in my Signature.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
It was due to Jeff's signature that I made one of my own with several title overlaps evident. Around 10 of my wants have already been listed in Charles' and bobPON's posts. I'm actually looking for considerably more titles than what I have listed ("Five Fingers", "The Dakotas", "The Westerner", "Way Out" to name but a few) which will probably never see the light of day.

If "The Fugitive" and "The Invaders" are released in their entirety I'll consider myself very fortunate considering that the sun may be setting on 50s/60s era TV shows and do my best not to complain about the others in my list being MIA. If I'm fortunate enough to see "The Rebel", "The Loner" and "T.H.E. Cat"? That's icing on the cake for sure.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have one b&w classic TV show I would love to see come out on dvd
The Patty Duke Show :)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Also "Father Knows Best" and "Bachelor Father." And more seasons of "Make Room for Daddy."

LCD22

Screenwriter
There are two-episode compilations you can purchase through Movies Unlimited for "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis", but I just want "Dobie" seasons sets. "Dobie Gillis" is currently facing "rights issues" with the Max Shulman estate who are demanding that Fox give them a huge sum of money before they will allow them to release it. "Dobie" has already been remastered, and is already to go, so all it needs is to be digitally transferred to DVD (and of course, a good helping of extras ;)). If there is something this fan can help speed this situation up, I'll gladly help (not that I can do anything, I'm just saying). This is the classic series listed I want the most.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i, too would like to see the donna reed show released. as well as more seasons of everybody's fave domestic engineer "hazel":)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well discounting the obvious (for a change) three other tv series I would really like to have see the light of day in quality DVD releases are SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE, MEN INTO SPACE and ROALD DAHL'S WAY OUT!

Because of their distinct advantage in effectively attention-getting promotional marketability possiblities in addition to their unique subject matter from the usual run-of-mill monochromic over-familiar television blandness that has (of late) literally over-saturated the tv series DVD market the chances may be much better than most critics would care to acknowledge.

Popular enduring favourites like THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS, DENNIS THE MENACE, MY THREE SONS and THE PATTY DUKE SHOW have still maintained their devout fan followings and I am (also) sure that all of these will finally be made available in time as well. Right now it is probably just a matter of what the major distribution companies have deemed to be their priorities...which usually translates into more dull, undistinguished stuff that many just don't give a hoot about anymore and just sits on the store shelves collecting dust or (ultimately) winding up in the Walmart bargain basement bin for want of any bona fide sales!

MEN INTO SPACE (Click Here)

Jeff T.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" is the name of that great sitcom's first season. They wisely shortened it to Dobie Gillis for the remaining 3 years. I believe it will come to DVD some day. I can't understand why the late Max Shulman's estate would object. I'll buy it as soon as DeepDiscount has it in stock. :emoji_thumbsup:

But I have no interest whatsoever in seeing The Donna Reed Show (Nick At Nite in the 1980s was enough), Dennis the Menace, Patty Duke, My 3 Sons, or Hazel again.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Jeff?!! No interest in those great classics?!! I'm praying for you, brother. :laugh:

Gary "I have great interest in every one of those shows, as well as 'Dobie Gillis'" O.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I would to buy season sets of
"DONNA REED"
"HAZEL"
"PEYTON PLACE"
"MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY"
"FATHER KNOWS BEST"
"I MARRIED JOAN"
"THE GOLDBERGS"
'BEVERLY HILLBILLIES"
"PETTICOAT JUNCTION"
"PATTY DUKE"
"THE THIN MAN"
"THE MILLIONAIRE
I say if the above were priced $14.99 for the sets they would sell

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Alan, not sure if you are aware, but a few of the titles that you mentioned are already available:

Season 1 of "Hazel" is available from Sony.

Season 5 of "Make Room for Daddy" is available from Questar, although the episodes are syndicated versions; this set is currently being liquidated at several online retailers for around $10.

Both "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction" have had authorized releases (through the Paul Henning estate) by MPI though they are not, technically, season releases.

VCI Entertainment released two volumes, each with a dozen episodes of "I Married Joan;" not season sets and, possibly, not authorized, but they're available if you want 'em.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see season sets of.

The Donna Reed Show
Dennis the Menace
Father Knows Best
Hazel season 2
The bummer is these are all sony releases. So I am not holding out any hope what so ever.We are coming up on one year since hazel season 1 was released.I believe it was August 1st 06.And sony just announced there july 07releases with no hazel season 2 annoucement.

My Three Sons. Is another one I would like to own.Since this is a paramount property we may have a better shot at this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks