What's new

Classic TV Shows Possibly Coming to BLU-RAY For The 2015 Holiday Season? (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Classic...modern classic...subjective terms that seem to ultimately do nothing but get people arguing, especially on this board. :)

For me, I think both Lucille Ball and Jerry Seinfeld are very talented performers. And since they both tended to avoid topical humor, their work has a certain timeless appeal.

That said, I think for both of them, their best work was in conjunction with another person. Lucy was never as good without Desi Arnaz making sure she had good writers and strong scripts. She could still give good performances later on, but it's hard for even the funniest people to be funny when the writing isn't there. Similarly, Jerry's show was at its best in the early years when Larry David was overseeing things. Once he left, the last few seasons were somewhat lacking.

And they both should have stayed away from feature films after having TV success (see Mame and Bee Movie).

As for being comedic geniuses, I wouldn't annoint either one with that title. Very talented and funny? Yes. But I find Jackie Gleason, Gracie Allen, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett funnier. And before them, there were the film comics of the really early days, esp. the teams of Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello and the Three Stooges.

But again...it's all subjective.

[Full disclosure...I do own the DVDs for I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show. I'd gladly own Seinfeld, but the one drawback that keeps me from loving that show enough to own it is not Jerry, but Michael Richards. I always felt he was the weak link of that cast. And his "wacky" entrance each episode was like "Dyn-O-Mite" on Good Times. You knew it was coming but hoped they would get it out of the way early on so you could enjoy the rest of the show. Plus Pat Harrington did the over-the-top silly-entrance wacky bit better years earlier on One Day at a Time.]

Topic? Oh yeah...how about those holiday season Blu-rays?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MatthewA said:
And also to present the black-and-white episodes that way. And restoring the correct Screen Gems logos should take very little effort.
Not to mention putting the subtitles back in the pilot episode. This way we can actually see what Jeannie is saying in her native language. Having The extended un-aired pilot episode as a bonus feature would be great too. Also, in some second season episodes there are some sound effects that are only from the more recent syndicated airings.

Jeannie really needs a complete overhaul.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Dave Lawrence said:
Classic...modern classic...subjective terms that seem to ultimately do nothing but get people arguing, especially on this board. :)

For me, I think both Lucille Ball and Jerry Seinfeld are very talented performers. And since they both tended to avoid topical humor, their work has a certain timeless appeal.

That said, I think for both of them, their best work was in conjunction with another person. Lucy was never as good without Desi Arnaz making sure she had good writers and strong scripts. She could still give good performances later on, but it's hard for even the funniest people to be funny when the writing isn't there. Similarly, Jerry's show was at its best in the early years when Larry David was overseeing things. Once he left, the last few seasons were somewhat lacking.

And they both should have stayed away from feature films after having TV success (see Mame and Bee Movie).

As for being comedic geniuses, I wouldn't annoint either one with that title. Very talented and funny? Yes. But I find Jackie Gleason, Gracie Allen, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett funnier. And before them, there were the film comics of the really early days, esp. the teams of Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello and the Three Stooges.

But again...it's all subjective.

[Full disclosure...I do own the DVDs for I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show. I'd gladly own Seinfeld, but the one drawback that keeps me from loving that show enough to own it is not Jerry, but Michael Richards. I always felt he was the weak link of that cast. And his "wacky" entrance each episode was like "Dyn-O-Mite" on Good Times. You knew it was coming but hoped they would get it out of the way early on so you could enjoy the rest of the show. Plus Pat Harrington did the over-the-top silly-entrance wacky bit better years earlier on One Day at a Time.]

Topic? Oh yeah...how about those holiday season Blu-rays?
Dave, it all comes down to opinion and we could probably discuss it all day! :lol: I've just honestly never been able to get into Seinfeld. Any time I've tried to watch even a clip of it (I was shown some clips earlier this year in a college class actually!) it just doesn't catch my attention. Of course I'll admit I'm biased towards the older shows any way, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I would call Lucy a comedic genius for the groundbreaking work she did, but I think that may have had a lot to do with Desi, too. Personally, I think that Phil Silvers was much funnier; thanks to some friends on here and two British friends, I "discovered" The Phil Silvers Show about 9 months ago and I love it.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
MatthewA said:
And also to present the black-and-white episodes that way. And restoring the correct Screen Gems logos should take very little effort.
I have the full set of Jeannie on DVD (with the colorized 1st Season) and I like it. I'm with you in having the original B&W as long as the colorized version is offered as well. Give the user the power to decide.

I'm all for Jeannie on Blu even if I have to double dip on this one.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Kyrsten Brad said:
I have the full set of Jeannie on DVD (with the colorized 1st Season) and I like it. I'm with you in having the original B&W as long as the colorized version is offered as well. Give the user the power to decide.
I'm all for Jeannie on Blu even if I have to double dip on this one.
+1

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Seinfeld was pretty funny and well written, but it was a much meaner and snarkier show than I Love Lucy ever was. Personally I much prefer sitcoms where I actually like the characters and want them to succeed.

In terms of the two shows' influence on television comedy in their respective eras, though, the comparison is apt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks