What's new

Classic TV-Movies that ought to be on DVD (and/or Blu) (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
THERE are so many fine Made-for TV flicks that have yet to make it to home video in DVD or Blu. Many were never even issued on VHS/ Beta. (Don't know if there's already a thread for this subject, please correct me if there is).

I'll start with...

DESPERATE VOYAGE (1980) Christopher Plummer, Christine Belford

SOLE SURVIVOR (1970) Vince Edwards, William Shatner, Richard Basehart

A DEADLY GAME (1979) (Aka CHARLIE MUFFIN) David Hemmings, Jennie Linden

IN THE CUSTODY OF STRANGERS (1982) Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Jane Alexander

BAJA, OKLAHOMA (1988) Leslie Ann Warren, Peter Coyote, Swoozie Kurtz

EARTH STAR VOYAGER (1988) (Disney Sunday Movie) Duncan Rugehr, Brian McNamara, Julia Montgomery

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
THE SAVAGE BEES (1976) Ben Johnson, Michael Parks, directed by Bruce Geller

FLASH GORDON: THE GREATEST ADVENTURE OF ALL (animated, produced in 1978, first aired in 1982) Filmation's superior, original feature-length version of what was partially re-voiced/re-animated/edited/padded into the serialized Saturday morning series of 1979. The TV-movie version was purposefully delayed for a few years, in a deal concerning the Dino De Laurentiis live-action Flash Gordon film, released in 1980.

SPECTRE (1977) Robert Culp, Gig Young, John Hurt, Gordon Jackson, Majel Barrett, written by Gene Roddenberry

BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL (1970) Glenn Ford, Rosemary Forsyth, Dean Jagger, William Conrad, Maurice Evans, Will Geer, Dabney Coleman, Robert Pine, Eduard Franz, William Smithers, directed by Paul Wendkos

VAMPIRE (1979) Jason Miller, Richard Lynch, E.G. Marshall, Jessica Walter, Kathryn Harrold, written by Stephen Bochco

SOMETHING EVIL (1972) Sandy Dennis, Darrin McGavin, Ralph Bellamy, Johnny Whittaker, Jeff Corey, directed by Steven Spielberg

SEVEN IN DARKNESS (1969) Milton Berle, Dina Merrill, Barry Nelson, Arthur O'Connell, Alejandro Rey, Lesley Ann Warren, James Griffith

FEAR NO EVIL (1969) Louis Jourdan, Lynda Day George, Carroll O'Connor, Bradford Dillman, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Marsha Hunt, Katherine Woodville, directed by Paul Wedkos

RITUAL OF EVIL (1970, sequel to above) Louis Jordan, Anne Baxter, Diana Hyland, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Belinda Montgomery, Georg Sandford Brown, John McMartin

CODE NAME: HERACLITUS (1967) Stanley Baker, Leslie Nielsen, Jack Weston, Sheree North, Kurt Kaznar, Signe Hasso, Ricardo Montalban, Malachi Throne

DR. STRANGE
(1978) Peter Hooten, Jessica Walter, John Mills, Clyde Kusatsu, Philip Sterling

FER-DE-LANCE (1974) David Janssen, Hope Lange, Ivan Dixon, Jason Evers, Frank Bonner, Robert Ito, written by Leslie Stevens

WORLD OF DARKNESS (1977) Granville Van Dusen, Beatrice Straight, Gary Merrill, Tovah Feldshuh

THE WORLD BEYOND (1978, sequel to above) Granville Van Dusen, JoBeth Williams, Barnard Hughes

BIRDS OF PREY (1973) David Janssen, Ralph Meeker --briefly on DVD from VCI, eons ago, but the print/transfer was lousy, and the disc is long out-of-print

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
GUESS we've a second thread on the topic, unless the moderators wish to combine them (fairly sure I don't have that ability).

Anyway, a few more pretty good ones:

MAZES & MONSTERS (1982) Tom Hanks. On DVD, but public domain. Would be nice if someone put out a quality Blu of this..

THE PRESIDENT's PLANE IS MISSING (1973) Peter Graves, Buddy Ebsen, Arthur Kennedy

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (1985) TV movie/ prospective pilot (NPI) adaptation of big-screen franchise, again featuring all-star cast including Gil Gerard, Belinda Tolbert, BILL BIXBY, George Kennedy (but of course), VERA MILES, George Grizzard, ROBERT REED, Connie Sellecca, SUSAN BLAKELY, Susan Oliver, CLIFF POTTS, Robert Vaughn & more. Great but apparently just didn't fly.. (sorry, couldn't resist!)

AFTER THE SHOCK (1990) Yaphet Kotto, Rue McClanahan, Jack Scalia. Inspired by rescue stories from 1989 San Francisco Earthquake, which (in)famously occurred during World Series game.. Released on VHS.

Last edited:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The President's Plane is Missing is one of seven movies included in a Echo Bridge "Shovelware" set titled 7 Disaster Movies. Check out the Bargain Bins at "Uncle Wally's", or order it from "The Big River" (They say its Out of Stock, but you can get a copy from their "Marketplace" for as little as $4.76 (Including Shipping)). :thumbsup:

PS This set also includes another made-for-TV movie called SST: Death Flight, which includes extra footage meant for the Theatrical Version shown overseas.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'd like to mention Isn't it Shocking? (1973)...a phenomenal and brilliant comedy-mystery...directed by John Badham, and what a cast! Alan Alda, Louise Lasser, Edmond O'Brien, Ruth Gordon, Will Geer and Lloyd Nolan...so good it should have been a theatrical release...and if it had, would likely receive the respect of a proper home video release by now...same can be said of the other TV films already mentioned...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
City in Fear, with David Janssen (his last role), Robert Vaughn, ("introducing") Mickey Rourke, Perry King, Susan Sullivan, William Daniels, Allan Miller, M. Emmet Walsh, William Prince, Lane Smith and (in a small role) Mary Stuart Masterson..What a cast!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
There are so many good or at least fun ones. I like the fright films on tv during the 1970's. Some that come to mind are:
1) Killer Bees (Kate Jackson)
2) The House That Wouldn't Die
3) Ritual of Evil
4) Terror on the Beach
5) Death Cruise (Kate Jackson)

Ok, So I have a thing for Kate Jackson circa 1970's. I thought she was groovy. That's right, groovy. I could name many more. A number of good titles have already been released.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Thanks for the info!

I've been on the fence about getting this one, but now I will be picking it up.

It is possible that someone (Shout?) may release this before the new Marvel movie in November - but I remember watching this back in the UK sometime in the late 70s/early 80s and bring enthralled by it. When I watched it again I was happy at how well it stood out after all this time.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks