What's new

Classic TV And The Top 100 Shows (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
That's a really good list.I agree with most everything,except for the numbers which some shows are ranked.Of the shows listed,which are not yet on dvd,the ones I'd like to see released would be Hill Street Blue,Family Ties,Leave It To Beaver,CHiPs,St.Elsewhere and Alice.I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Dan_V

Agent
Bewitched is #8 and Seinfeld #19? While I agree that the top 100 shows listed for the most part are the top 100, but lets be real, I'm sure no one has ever discussed an episode of Bewitched at the water cooler.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like all Top 100 lists, I'll look at the shows listed and just ignore the ranking. No one is ever going to completely agree with another person on which show is better than the other.

And how old is this list? It says The X-Files is still airing and it ended in May 2002. :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
A completly worthless list - far too american-centric. Where's Monty Python? Where's Fawlty Towers? Blackadder? Doctor Who? Blake's Seven? The Prisoner? What about Macross/Robotech? Yamato/Star Blazers? Hell - Speed Racer?

Television does not begin and end at the US borders.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
True, Tony. I love Star Trek but Voyager? Doesn't deserve it.

I guess I should be happy. Most lists assume that once they put the original series in the top 5 they're done with the franchise.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Even if they did have more British television, there'd still be complaining. :) There are several British shows I find far superior to the ones you listed - Rumpole of the Bailey, To the Manor Born, The Good Life, Benny Hill, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, etc.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

I really like Seinfeld (one of my fav' show ever!), but I'm not sure that the appeal will last longer than Bewitched's... I'm not sure even that Seinfeld will stand the test of time...
I don't think Seinfeld will be "discovered" by each new generation...

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Oh please.....Bonanza (#28) better than Gunsmoke (#61)- don't make me sick!!!!! Marshal Dillon could outdraw all of the Cartwrights, and besides, why be stuck in that dusty old Ponderosa with Hop Sing while you can have fun at the Long Branch Saloon with Miss Kitty, Festus, and Doc?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Better than Doctor Who? Speak not such blasphemy!

But yeah, at least SOME of these shows should have made the cut. Sadly the blinders were on for this list.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I disagree with the ranking also, but I remember watching Bewitched when I was a kid and talking about it later. I'm sure it was discussed around watercoolers during its original run and a few years afterward.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
While I will give credit to the compilers of this list for getting almost all of the genuinely deserving shows somewhere onto the list, the following, in spite of many being popular (and popular doesn't mean good), do not deserve "Top 100" acclaim (in my opinion):

Bewitched
Flipper
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C
I Dream Of Jeannie
Munsters, The
Laverne & Shirley
Welcome Back, Kotter
Diff'rent Strokes
Facts Of Life
Growing Pains
Head of the Class
Mork & Mindy
Three's Company
Webster
Dear John
Home Improvement

And the following that somehow made the list are arguably among the worst TV shows ever. What the hell were they thinking putting these in there?:

CHiPS
Love Boat, The
Mr. Belvedere
My Two Dads
Perfect Strangers
Silver Spoons
Small Wonder
Who's the Boss
Beverly Hills, 90210
Baywatch
Full House
Herman's Head
Saved by the Bell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks