Directors Classic Toons on DVD?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jim_K, May 26, 2004.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Alrighty, now I'm a new father as of yesterday. [​IMG]

I figure it's time I start thinking about snatching up some classic cartoon collections before they go out of print. I'm a little stymied as to what's the best out there such as the various Walt Disney Collections, Warner, etc?

I'm mostly looking for vintage 30's - 50's (Bugs Bunny - Warner, Disney, Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, etc.) cartoons as these are the ones I grew up on that I'm most fond of.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Columbia House has a few volumes of Woody Woodpecker (and other Walter Lantz cartoons) on DVD. They're also the TV versions, so you get bumpers with Walter Lantz.

It's rumored that the next Looney Tunes set will have more cartoons, more extras, and more older cartoons. Cartoons that are semi-definite are: One Froggy Evening, I Love To Singa, Horton Hatches the Egg, Hyde and Hare, and possibly What's Opera Doc.

Tom & Jerry's getting a set like the Looney Tunes later this year. It should have new transfers of CinemaScope cartoons, complete with original stereo.

Popeye still has rights problems to solve, but VCI is releasing a set with all 36 public domain Fleischer/Famous cartoons. This includes the 3 two-reel Technicolor cartoons made by Fleischer Studios. It should be the best thing until Warner and King Features figure out something. Warner IS restoring the cartoons (25 a year, I think they should have around 60-75 by now) with Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor and Wotta Nitemare being two of the finished restorations. VCI isn't using Warner's restorations, but they are using OK 35mm materials that at least aren't any worse than what is on TV.

Also, Betty Boop and the rest of the Fleischer cartoons (except for Superman) is owned by Paramount (via Republic Pictures). Lion's Gate (formerly Artisan) has DVD rights, but hasn't done anything. UCLA has restored or preserved nearly all of the Boops, Color Classics, surviving Ko-Ko's, and other miscelleny. We'll have to wait until Paramount gets the video rights in 2005. I trust that Paramount will do something with the Betty Boop restorations at least.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Congratulations Jim!!! Being a Dad is the coolest thing on Earth!

Agree with Henry, the Looney Tunes box is outstanding even if it is missing many key cartoons. The next edition better have What's Opera Doc?!

Can't help you on the others, I never liked Tom & Jerry, though I watched it, I had no interest in buying it as an adult. I liked most of the Hanna-Barbera stuff, but not enough to want to revisit them now.

As for my kids, I can't get them too interested in watching Looney Tunes. They'd rather watch newer stuff like Thomas and Caillou, though I'm getting my son into Harryhausen and he already loves the silent Lost World. My kids both really like the Studio Ghibli stuff I've shown them.

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Thanks everyone,

Looks like the Looney Tunes set is the best bet. I already have (or will have come Aug) most of the Ghibli films. Don't have many Disney/Pixar films (Lion King, Tarzan, Monsters & Finding Nemo is all) so I guess I should stock up on what's available now.

Any opinions on the Walt Disney Treasures collections? I'm pretty much a neophyte when it comes to the Disney shorts.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG] Add my congratulations to you and your wife to the list, Jim.

As Brook wrote, it is the coolest thing—by far the best thing I have ever done is being a father and helping raise my son. [​IMG]

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

thanks Lew,

It is mucho cool. [​IMG]