Classic Subwoofer Inquery

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Hi, i'm sure all of you hav answered countless post like this in the past, and now is your chance to do it again!

What I want to build is a good sounding subwoofer for my Hometheater/Music setup. I don't have any spare power comming out of my reicever so that means that i'm leaning towards a plate amp in the sub. For drivers I think the Shiva looks pretty good for my cause.

I don't want a very large sub, like a sonotube or something, but I'm looking at something more like a simple box design. I haven't decided if its going to be sealed, ported or have a Passive radiator yet.

I was wondering if anybody knew of some good kits out there that (somewhat) fit my needs. Any advice will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks very much,

Will

2. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Will,
    Your best bet is going to be to search the archives of this thread and you'll find a number of your questions answered. Also, this current thread will answer a number of questions, although it's starting to lean towards sonosub design (you're sure you don't want one, right?) here's the thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=51689
    Many of the current ideas for smaller box subwoofers lately have been with passive radiators. I recently built my first sub, a 12" driver from Stryke audio with 2 15" PR's tuned to 1400g. The box is around 3ft^3, with dimensions 15 1/2" wide by 22" high by 19 1/2" deep, so not super big. I used the PE 250 watt plate amp. I'm still tweaking it, and may raise the PR tuning a bit, but it's the best sub I've ever heard- easily getting into the 110db range on movies at reference level. John J. over at Stryke also has a 12" design that used 2 12" PR's in a 15" cube that looks pretty cool and very small.
    There are tons of options, and lots of good sources for ideas. Dan at Adire has great stuff, and lots of helpful into, and many worked out designs.
    I've had really good support from John at Stryke with my project, and I'm very happy with it, and it's a little more off the beaten path, which I like. I like to support the smaller operations, too. He sells pre-cut/assembled cabinets, also, if you need that.
    Anyway, you'll need to do lots of forum reading, so I'll make this short-
    good luck!
    Wes