Classic SNES Flashback: Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

While flicking through the latest issue of Edge magazine, I happened across an article charting the evolution in video game cover design. My eye was inadvertantly drawn to an old Konami SNES game called Zombie's Ate My Neighbors. In a moment of memory-stimulated delight, the long-forgotten game in all its LucasArts-created glory came flooding back and my eyes filled with tears. OK, there weren't tears, but I was more moved than I usually am while thinking about a computer game. It was an old favourite of mine, and unlike other favs like Zelda: Link to the Past, and Street Fighter 2, I hadn't thought about it for 10 years. Classic 2D, trying to look 3D game. Simple, puzzle-driven fun. I loved it at the time.
    Anybody else remember it?
    I'm gonna try and find some online screenshots to link to, and maybe a box cover shot.
    [​IMG]

2. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

i love this game; i've still got it for the SNES (i played it for the genesis too, but the SNES pad is much better suited for the game). i like the purple monster potion [​IMG]
    did anyone ever play the sequel?

3. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'll put this down as the, "Gee, why didn't I ever play this file." [​IMG]

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

This was one of the first games I played after I got the Super Nintendo and remains one of my favorites. That opening title and music will stay with me forever. Kind of like a G-rated version of Hunter on the Xbox, but fun even without the gore. I played the ROM on my PC for a little trip back into the time. The sequel (Ghoul Patrol? Something like that) is not as good. I checked out the ROM for that but lost interest quickly.

6. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I still own this classic on SNES. I love how the levels had horror-esque titles. The music was pretty good - for a cart-as well.

Another thing I remember is how incredibly difficult the game was. I always played with a buddy and we never finished the whole game.

7. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

I loved this game when it on the Genesis (never was a Nintendo fan.)

Now that Toe Jam has come to XBox, I keep hoping this game will surface on a modern day platform.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Paul,
    Great pic in your signature. [​IMG] I remember this game as well. It was quite a game in it's day.

9. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Great little co-op slice of fun that was, my cousin and I relentlessly enjoyed anything with co-op play. This and Secret of Mana are fond memories.
    Except... that effing spider boss! Holy cripes, we must have shot that guy for over half a freakin' hour and he would not go down! Never managed to get past that part. Bastiches.
    Since it was a Lucasfilm game, it would be remiss not to mention that kickass Day of the Tentacle secret level too [​IMG]

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I own the Genesis version, but I never really got that far in it.

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

12. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

whoa, this really brings back some VERY fond SNES memories of mine.....i think i'll pop this one back in....

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

14. Mark Evans

Paul, enter BCDF as your password at the start, and enjoy [​IMG]

15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

This game kicked so much ass on so many levels back in the day! I loved it! Worked in a video store back then and took this game home too many times to count. Mummies, spiders, and aliens... oh my! Forget another Star Wars game, George, and brings this bad little mofo into the 21st century!

16. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

17. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I'd love to see it, but only if LucasArts has a hand in it. Konami's level of quality has been dubious in the past few years aside from the 2D Castlevania games and their RPG's (Suikoden and Vandal Hearts series for instance).
    As good as some of LucasArts' licensed games have often been, original games have always been their strong point, though they're pretty few and far between (look at Grim Fandango & the Monkey Island games for reference). I'd love to see a new Zombies game [​IMG]

18. Mark Evans

Actually Marshall, I think it would be a more accurate assessment to say that all of LucasArts' adventure games have been their strong point. [​IMG]
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, and Sam & Max Hit The Road are but three games by LucasArts that use licenses yet are in no way inferior to the games you mention.
    Zak McKracken, both Maniac Mansions, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and the first three Monkey Islands (haven't played four myself though I've heard not good things about it) were all exemplary titles as well. Even The Dig, which I've often heard slightly maligned, is a very, very worthwhile excursion. Some tricky as hell puzzles too.
    The real shame about LucasArts titles is that they for some reason stopped selling. Looking at the discount racks of Grim Fandango discs was just brutal a year or so ago. I mean, I paid full price for it and didn't feel robbed in the slightest. Sigh.