What's new

Directors Classic Screenwriters: Another Literate New Tournament (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Billy Wilder

Preston Sturges

Graham Greene is a superb writer—but even with The Third Man & St. Joan in his credits, this is probably as easy as a round as we will see.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Guess it's probably safe to call this one early.

Billy Wilder and Preston Sturges shut out their opponents.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ROUND 1; Bracket 5:

Sidney Buchman (Lost Horizon, The Awful Truth, Holiday, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, The Talk of the Town, Sahara, The Group)

vs.

Jean Renoir (Boudu Saved from Drowning, Grand Illusion, La Bete Humaine, The Rules of the Game, The River)

ROUND 1; Bracket 6:

Joseph L. Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives, No Way Out, All About Eve, People Will Talk, The Quiet American)

vs.

Samson Raphaelson (One Hour With You, Trouble in Paradise, The Shop Around the Corner, Suspicion, Heaven Can Wait)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sidney Buchman

Samson Raphaelson
(People Will Talk is great, but other than that I'm not impressed with Mank)

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
So far, Buchman and Renoir are tied at 3 votes apiece, with Raphaelson (perhaps surprisingly) getting the better of Mank.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Justifying my votes, is probably why I keep up with the tournaments. :)

I sort of averaged what I considered each writer’s main films. Out of all the films of either writer, I probably like All About Eve the best. But while I like Lost Horizon, for example, I’m nowhere near as big on that film as the aficionados, finding a reasonable amount with which to take issue.

On the other hand I am a Lubitsch groupie and in particular think that The Shop Around the Corner is brilliant. An overall higher average.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Jean Renoir takes bracket 5 in a close one, 4-3.
Samson Raphaelson upsets Mank, 5-2.

ROUND 1; Bracket 7:

John Huston (High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon, The Killers, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Key Largo, The Asphalt Jungle, Moulin Rouge, Beat the Devil)

vs.

Dudley Nichols (The Informer, Bringing Up Baby, Stagecoach, The Long Voyage Home, For Whom the Bell Tolls, And Then There Were None)

ROUND 1; Bracket 8:

Jules Furthman (Morocco, Shanghai Express, Bombshell, Only Angels Have Wings, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Nightmare Alley)

vs.

Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Journey into Fear, The Lady from Shanghai, Touch of Evil, Chimes at Midnight)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks