What's new

Classic NES Games on Gamecube or GBA? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone think Nintendo will release compilation packs of it's most popular NES games on either the Gamecube or GBA?
It would be great to have a portable Metroid 1 :).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Well, Metroid Fusion is coming out for the GBA very soon. Not an exact remake, but probably has a very similar storyline with even better graphics ;)

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Animal Crossing includes a number of NES games for play, and when you link up Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion you can play the original Metroid.

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
I actually just got done finishing the original NES Metroid on my Dreamcast in anticipation of the upcoming new releases!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Zelda 1 and Super Mario Bros. were in the Japanese version of AC. Hopefully they're in the U.S. version as well but I can't say for certain.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Pinball and Donkey Kong are also available in Animal Crossing. Nintendo has also released its E-Reader GBA peripheral, which also plays old-school NES games. :)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Forgive my ignorance - I have NO idea what Animal Crossing is, but how the heck do you get to play the classics within that game?
I don't want to buy animal crossing just to play some of these games, but it's damn tempting.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, the various AC threads on this forum can give you a big picture thing, but to nutshell it for you Rob, Animal Crossing is basically a Sims-esque communication game where you live in a town with various animals who come and go.
The game synchs up with the GameCube's internal clock and there are special days such as Halloween/Explorer's Day etc, and the seasons change as well. Right now it's autumn in most of our towns.
The game takes up a full memory card, but one's included free with the game. The card that comes with the game has a free gift from Nintendo, a couple of NES games. They're random so everybody gets different ones. You own your own house in AC, and you can put the NES games around and play them, with perfect emulation.
There are a number of ways to get more, such as monthly raffles and trading with other players. If you check out the trading post thread you'll likely find tons of people happy to trade you games in exchange for other items. I've got about eight different NES games now, and let me tell you, being able to boot up for a game of Donkey Kong Jr. whenever I want is a good, good feeling :D.
And the game of Animal Crossing itself can be hellishly addictive fun if you get into it deep enough, trust me.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Given that I definitely don't have the time to play a sims-esque type game that much, is AC worth the money just to get to play some of the classics?

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, I make it sound tough, but really once you're started you can scoot by with 30 minutes a day of AC tending.
As for the games, tough call. I mean, you can amass about ten games just from us on the HTF here. Now whether that's worth it to you, really up to yourself. GameFaqs has lists of what games are to be found/rumored to be in AC, and if the line-up pleases you, then it might be worth it.
I don't like to make buying recommendations ever, since I'm well aware that we all have different tastes game-wise ;). If you can get people to trade you can literally just not bother with the AC game (though it's worth a try to enjoy) and use it as an NES emulator for the Cube though, if that was your choice.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
How are the items traded? Im assuming you have to mail each other your memory cards.
Im sorry for the stupid questions, but you hit the nail on head - I do want to use the GC as an N64 emulator (I miss the good old days of Punch Out and Track and Field). I know you can d/l these games off the internet, but the stability isn't always there - plus it's piracy if you don't have the ROMS's ;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
How are the items traded? Im assuming you have to mail each other your memory cards.
Not at all - when you want to trade, you enter the other player's name + town, and the game generates a code that you pass to that other player. He/she enters that code & the game gives him the equivalent item.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that's right Rob. The games you get are programmed into the game, it's not a matter of running the games on the Cube in an emulator or anything.

Your little house that you buy in Animal Crossing lets you put items out to decorate. Some of those items are little NES's that have individual games in them. You walk your character up to the NES of your choice, hit A, and then play it. At which point the emulation kicks in; essentially it's a game-within-a-game.

There's no way to go turn on the Cube and start immediately playing NES games, I'm afraid. I doubt there will be in the future either. But, the extra step of going into AC is not really so terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks