What's new

Classic music on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm in college and one of my courses this semester is on Musical Styles, getting into classic, baroque, romance, medieval, etc., and anyways, I've been enjoying getting into Mozart, Bach, etc. and noticed some classical work is available on DVD-A. Does anyone have any recommendations? Not just as to the pieces themselves, but also the quality of the mixes. Thanks

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the AIX recording of the Brandenburg Concerto No.s 3&5/Air. I have a few other classical music DVD-A's, but this is the best sounding and most engaging by far. It seems great care was taken with the recording, being a true 96kHz/24 bit recording start to finnish. Further there is an "audience mix" and a "stage mix", giving a 5.1 perspective from each location. There is also a Hi-rez stereo mix, but it is my guess you will opt for the openness and dynamic range of the MLP mix.

The four groups on this disc are:

1) MLP 5.1
2) Hi-rez PCM stereo
3) DD "Audience mix"
4) DTS "Stag mix"

The technical notes indicate twelve stereo pairs of mics were placed throughout the Atheneum Hall in Bucharest where the performnace was captured live but without an audience. There were no overdubs, equalization, artificial reverberation or dynamic compression/limiting in the production, mixing or mastering of this recording.

Highly recommended.

wp

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Go to the Naxos site. They only do classical and have a number on DVD-A and SACD. I have the Sibelius/Sinding recording (violin concertos) and the Sibelius is outstanding (my first experience with his music, so there may be better performances out there, but this one is quite good already).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks