What's new

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw it in a theater and it was one of the worst theatrical experiences I’ve ever had. The majority of the crowd were religious people (not a problem), the majority of whom brought small children (very much a problem), I guess to teach them about their faith, but it was so uncomfortable watching that film listening to the frequent screams and terrified cries of a large number of five and six year olds who absolutely were not prepared or equipped to deal with the kind of violence shown on screen. I sat next to a terrified small child whose mother was telling him throughout the film that if he looked away, he would go to hell, and that he should be grateful for Jesus’s sacrifice. Surely telling a five year old that they’re going to hell for being scared at an “R” rates movie is over the top.

I think I was more traumatized by that than the movie itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw it in a theater and it was one of the worst theatrical experiences I’ve ever had. The majority of the crowd were religious people (not a problem), the majority of whom brought small children (very much a problem), I guess to teach them about their faith, but it was so uncomfortable watching that film listening to the frequent screams and terrified cries of a large number of five and six year olds who absolutely were not prepared or equipped to deal with the kind of violence shown on screen. I sat next to a terrified small child whose mother was telling him throughout the film that if he looked away, he would go to hell, and that he should be grateful for Jesus’s sacrifice. Surely telling a five year old that they’re going to hell for being scared at an “R” rates movie is over the top.

Wow! There is no way I would allow a small child to watch that movie as it has far too much graphic violence-wise.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I worked at Blockbuster and the movie came out on VHS and DVD, every copy rented out on the release date. When they started being returned, more than one customer enquired about a missing tape or disc. I asked what they meant and they all said something along the lines of, “My copy just ended after the crucifixion. I’m missing the end with the resurrection and good deeds” and id have to patiently explain that that was how the movie was made and that there was no more.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMO, "Unforgiven" has some of the best dialogue I'd ever heard in a western film. The following line from Eastwood is a classic line that will be remembered forever.

Another classic line of dialogue is the following, but it contains a major spoiler so if you haven 't seen the film, you've been warned.

Such a great movie. There is a reason it won "Best Picture".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yikes! That is one of the most disturbing "movie going" experiences I think I have ever heard!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Woody Allen films. I'm sure some are regarded as "classics". I will never watch any more of his movies. I tried a couple of his films, and I really didn't care for them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Might be a classic to people who find faith-based merit in it, but not viewed as a great film by critics. Got pretty meh reviews.

It's really meant for the faithful and not a general audience, so if you're not part of the former group, you're unlikely to get much from it.

I'm not, so I'd never call it a classic...

(More generally).

This is also a big "disease" in other niches (unrelated to faith) which attracts a hardcore audience.

I've found that a lot of the outright garbage scifi movies typically released by bottom feeder movie companies on a low budget, fits very much into this description.

Basically if you're not hardcore into scifi, you might not really understand or get much out of watching such films.

(I also get the impression the horror movie genre is also like this).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
(More generally).

This is also a big "disease" in other niches (unrelated to faith) which attracts a hardcore audience.

I've found that a lot of the outright garbage scifi movies typically released by bottom feeder movie companies on a low budget, fits very much into this description.

Basically if you're not hardcore into scifi, you might not really understand or get much out of watching such films.

(I also get the impression the horror movie genre is also like this).

Guilty as charged. :) I've viewed some pretty awful SF films over the years, some laughably bad. I recognize that they are awful, but my fondness for the genre pulls me in. Sometimes I'll watch trailers for this kind of schlock on Amazon Prime just for laughs; to marvel at the ineptness.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I just don't understand people with that mentality. The story has been so whitewashed over the centuries that people can't, or just won't, see or understand the torture and pain involved. Much like the Grimm Fairy Tales, if told accurately and honestly, all kids would be traumatized. To think that a screen depiction, especially one with an R rating, would be automatically "safe" like Sunday School lessons is the height of stupidity.

Years ago I registered at Rotten Tomatoes for the sole reason of taking to task a woman who took a 5 year old to see Jackson's King Kong and was ranting about how it scared her little darling.

These are the same people who think all cartoons are safe for kids.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Woody Allen films. I'm sure some are regarded as "classics". I will never watch any more of his movies. I tried a couple of his films, and I really didn't care for them.
I like several of his movies but have seen enough of them to decide he generally makes the same movie over and over, just staging it in a different location/time. In that respect he's a lot like Mel Brooks. You either like his work or don't. I've found very few "middle ground" people with either creator.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Passion Of The Christ is certainly polarizing, especially across religious lines.

I loved it. Since I was part of its intended audience, it worked for me on an emotional level like no other film I’d seen before it.

To me it’s a classic, but I can see how many others wouldn’t agree and would have no desire to ever see it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was of the same mind about The Shining as I like nothing King has ever written or that has been adapted from his work. I finally watched it because it was from Kubrick, a director whose work I generally enjoy, and discovered it was quite good. A few years back I found out it's not considered to be that good of an adaptation of the book due to many changes done by Kubrick.

In that vein I don't care for Kubrick's Dr Strangelove..., Lolita, or Eyes Wide Shut. I've seen them and feel they're well made but just not for me. I've watched Dr. Strangelove... several times attempting to see/get what attracts others. I've yet to laugh at a single thing in the movie - and it's supposed to be a comedy. Oh well...

James Cameron is one of those directors whose work I tend to ignore as I've only truly liked 2 of his movies: The Terminator and Aliens although I'm not too fond of Aliens. I, too, have no desire to see his Titanic. The trailers and promos just didn't make it look like anything I'd enjoy.
I watched Dr. Strangelove recently. The best and funniest scene in the film is when Scott’s character, with some degree of amusement and excitement, briefs the President on the imminent attack on the Russians. Great writing in the scene.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I looked at the AFI list of 100 in this thread, and unfortunately I’ve seen just 69 of them. I do have Lawrence Of Arabia at the house, waiting to be watched for my first time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I watched Dr. Strangelove recently. The best and funniest scene in the film is when Scott’s character, with some degree of amusement and excitement, briefs the President on the imminent attack on the Russians. Great writing in the scene.
Everyone comments on Peter Sellers' tour de force acting from playing three characters in the movie, but I think Scott steals the show in that scene. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks