What's new

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The other Clint ones besides Good Bad, Once Upon A Time In The West, and more I can’t recall the names of. It’s my brother’s favorite genre so I’ve seen a good sampling over the years. I can put on my objective critical hat and observe that many are well made films with good qualities that simply don’t appeal to me - which is different from thinking that they’re actually bad.

It just comes back to the asparagus for me. I’ve tried it enough to know that I don’t enjoy trying it.
I'm a bit surprise you didn't like "Once Upon a Time in the West". Like I stated, I'm not a fan of spaghetti westerns, but I always liked that film from the very first time I watched it in a movie theater during its original theatrical run. I was never a big fan of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns except I do like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" quite a lot due to Eastwood and Wallach. Those are the only two spaghetti westerns I actually first watched in a movie theater. I fell asleep during "The Good", but I was a few years older when "Once Upon" came out so I was able to stay awake the entire viewing time. I wasn't used to long movies at that age, especially with those viewings in a darken movie theater after stuffing myself with popcorn and candy.:)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I've never watched The Shining. Never plan to. Not a fan of Stephen King. I've seen most every other Kubrick film. I've never seen James Cameron's Titanic. No desire at all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a bit surprise you didn't like "Once Upon a Time in the West". Like I stated, I'm not a fan of spaghetti westerns, but I always liked that film from the very first time I watched it in a movie theater during its original theatrical run. I was never a big fan of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns except I do like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" quite a lot due to Eastwood and Wallach. Those are the only two spaghetti westerns I actually first watched in a movie theater. I fell asleep during "The Good", but I was a few years older when "Once Upon" came out so I was able to stay awake the entire viewing time. I wasn't used to long movies at that age, especially with those viewings in a darken movie theater after stuffing myself with popcorn and candy.:)
That’s the problem with lumping entire swaths of movies together based simply on their setting. West is a great piece of cinematic drama even if it has cowboys and was filmed in Spain.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
TGBAU is one of my favorite movies. I found OUATITW to be quite boring.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I agree there. Once upon a Time in the West doesn't even feel like a spaghetti Western to me. It feels more like a traditional Western. I actually think The Wild Bunch feels more like spaghetti than Once Upon a Time in the West. Nevertheless it is my favorite of the Leone Westerns.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Based on AFI I have seen 36 of the 100 "classics". But no real desire to see the rest on the list as the topics or era don't appeal to me.

Based on AFI I have seen 36 of the 100 "classics". But no real desire to see the rest on the list as the topics or era don't appeal to me.[/
Based on AFI I have seen 36 of the 100 "classics". But no real desire to see the rest on the list as the topics or era don't appeal to me.

I have seen them all . They comprise strictly American films and a few co-productions. The British Film Institute's list of classic films is far superior as it included the whole world ,not just one country.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I was once married to a woman who refused to watch Spaghetti Westerns because there was so much dust in them. Now I can't watch a Spaghetti Western without thinking, damn, she was right.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can’t speak for everyone but for myself, when I used my example of not having enjoyed any spaghetti westerns, and that I’ve never seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and not being likely to at this point... it’s not that I’m bragging about that. It’s more about knowing what I like and what I don’t, which genre explorations have been enjoyable for me and which ones felt like chores, and just not wanting to sign up for something that I can make a pretty educated guess that I won’t enjoy.

So at this point in my life, there are things I may refuse to watch - but not because I think it’s beneath me or that I’m above it, but just because it’s not a great use of a limited resource (my alone time) to try something that historically I haven’t enjoyed. If you’ve been disappointed over and over by the same thing, it makes sense to not try that thing anymore.

I don’t like asparagus. My mother loves it. She’s spent years trying to convince me that I should like it, and has made or ordered dozens of different preparations over the years trying to show that if I only tried it in the “right” way that I’d finally “get it” and see what I was missing. The first few times, it made sense. But after years of this, I’m done trying it because I know I don’t like it. And my refusal to try a slightly different preparation at this point isn’t meant as a badge of honor. It’s just a logical choice based on prior experience.

I see movies in a similar fashion. There’s a wide variety of what I’m willing to try and I’ll even try things that I don’t think I’ll enjoy for the experience of it. But at a certain point, I’m done trying asparagus. Is there a preparation of asparagus out there in the world that I might like? It’s theoretically possible. But it’s not an exploration I’m interested in undertaking.

It's a good thing there aren't Asparagus Westerns! ;)

Edit: damn, I was beaten to the joke!

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I hated spaghetti westerns before I watched spaghetti westerns. It's called prejudice; sometimes it's called Pride and Prejudice. I was older than Josh when I started experiencing spaghetti westerns and, lo and behold!, a whole new world opened up before me. Now I enjoy spaghetti westerns, gialli and many other genres that in my youth I disdained. Live and learn...

Because people know I'm a film fan, they ask me for my favorite genre, and I tell them I don't really have one.

Sure, I'm more partial toward action movies than toward weepy dramas, but over the years, I've lost a true "favorite" because I've seen so many movies.

That's all because of my site. I've watched 1000s of movies over the last 20 years, and a whole bunch of them are movies I never would've seen - or wanted to see - if not for my site.

It's opened me up to movies I thought I'd hate but I liked.

So I say I no longer have a favorite genre because I see too many movies in "unfavored genres" that I like and too many in "favored genres" that I hate!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You must not have seen many westerns. ;)
I probably have seen more than you realize. In the middle ‘50s to ‘60s, western TV shows were ubiquitous and my Dad watched them all. — “Have Gun Will Travel”, “Gun Smoke” “Bonanza”, etc. etc. Every movie program also had them in heavy rotation. I think I ODed.

I think now they are mostly a uniquely USA art form that may not be enjoyed as much outside the country. Maybe I am wrong, I don’t know. (— the rugged individual, guns, guns, guns)

I do know my Dad also watched every Science Fiction, and I love that genre. My most disappointing viewing experiences however include Star Trek episodes where the find a planet “just like the old west”.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I probably have seen more than you realize. In the middle ‘50s to ‘60s, western TV shows were ubiquitous and my Dad watched them all. — “Have Gun Will Travel”, “Gun Smoke” “Bonanza”, etc. etc. Every movie program also had them in heavy rotation. I think I ODed.

I think now they are mostly a uniquely USA art form that may not be enjoyed as much outside the country. Maybe I am wrong, I don’t know. (— the rugged individual, guns, guns, guns)

I do know my Dad also watched every Science Fiction, and I love that genre. My most disappointing viewing experiences however include Star Trek episodes where the find a planet “just like the old west”.
I’m talking about theatrical films, not TV shows.

For example

Stagecoach
The Searchers
Fort Apache
The Wild Bunch
Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves etc....

To name a few

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

On a similar line of thought, I was heavily into scifi for a long time for both movies and tv shows. For a long time I would even watch lousy scifi stuff, solely for the reason it was scifi. (Not because the movies/shows were any good).

After a few years of buying a lot of scifi movies/shows on dvd/bluray, I gradually came to the realization what Sturgeon's Law really meant in practice. After 2010, I was impulse buying a lot of scifi stuff released by bottom feeder movie companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

I very much hit the OD + burnout stage in regard to scifi movies/shows, where nowadays I'm very skeptical about new scifi tv shows and movies. I mentioned this in great detail in regard to scifi tv shows on bluray, in my "jedi mindfuck" thread on here.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...v-shows-do-you-still-buy-on-dvd.362179/page-3

Today every time I hear about a new scifi tv show or movies, my immediate "knee jerk" reaction is one which resembles disgust or outright dismissal similar (or even more "reactionary") than the OP of this current thread.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That’s the problem with lumping entire swaths of movies together based simply on their setting. West is a great piece of cinematic drama even if it has cowboys and was filmed in Spain.

This is the "disease" of a lot of scifi stuff.

All you have to do is put any story in space and/or another planet, and it becomes "scifi".

The underlying story can be anything, such as a cop show, romcom, spy, comedy, soap opera, love triange, etc ....

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This is the "disease" of a lot of scifi stuff.

All you have to do is put any story in space and/or another planet, and it becomes "scifi".

The underlying story can be anything, such as a cop show, romcom, spy, comedy, soap opera, love triange, etc ....
Good point. I think that's why think so highly of certain SF films such as 2001, Forbidden Planet, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. They are genuine science fiction.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good point. I think that's why think so highly of certain SF films such as 2001, Forbidden Planet, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. They are genuine science fiction.
Interesting statement, considering Forbidden Planet is essentially a 450 year old story written by Shakespeare, that's been moved from an isolated island to an isolated planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks