1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TJPC, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I had the opposite issue since I was divorced. Back in the day, I could only watch movies once or twice a week with my then-wife. Her taste in movies was quite different than mine.

After the divorce, I suddenly had all the time in the world to watch whatever I wanted. Unfortunately I ran into the "analysis paralysis" issue, where I ended up just watching csi reruns or star trek reruns most of the time.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I grew up in Puerto Rico where all non-Spanish films were subtitled. Therefore, I've never had any problems with subtitles, since even Casablanca was subtitled.
    I'm always open to new experiences (even films I've never heard about), for when you shut out learning new things, you might as well be dead. Life stops when you stop learning. That's why Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease: your body keeps going but your life has actually stopped.
    BTW, if you don't like what you've experienced, then don't repeat it. Just don't reject it a priori.

PMF, dvdclon, Tino and 1 other person like this.
  3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    The thing about subtitles is they take practice. When you're not used to them, they can be very annoying. But once you have the hang of it, they're a lot easier to deal with. Then I'm reminded that they can still be difficult, when I recently watched A Very Long Engagement, which has a lot of dialog, with some narration thrown in. That was a challenge.

Regarding your other comments about remaining adventurous. Absolutely!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Since the DVD era, I've watched all my movies at home with the subtitles activated including streaming if they're available as well as DirecTV watching movies or TV series. It's probably why I don't have any issues watching foreign movies.

BobO'Link likes this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Love that movie as I'm a big fan of Audrey Tautou.

6. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    An interesting thread. I'm perhaps a bit of an outlier - a thirty-something year old millennial whose movie tastes are primarily studio era films from the 1920s through the 1950s. I will echo the sentiments of others that since my movie watching time is finite, I do prioritize based on my biases. As a result, surprisingly for someone of my age group, I watch very few modern films. Am I against watching them? Not at all. I'm always up for suggestions and recommendations, but I'm not likely to watch one at random as I am with a studio era film. Concerning foreign films, I really do need to see more of them if just for my film literacy. Perhaps I'll start paying more attention to what TCM plays - Rashomon and Throne of Blood are playing next week. I also suspect that I would like Jacques Tati since he was greatly influenced by Buster Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, etc.

As for the topic of refusing to watch a film outright, I try to remain open-minded, but I do admit that there are some instances where I would choose not to watch a film. For instance, based upon its synopsis, I really have no desire to see a film like Salo. I also have no desire to see modern political/propaganda films from the likes of Michael Moore and Dinesh D'Souza. Still, I try to remain open-minded. For some time, I avoided the B westerns, but in the last year I've discovered how fun these films can be. Within the span of a little more than an hour, you get some comedy, action, remarkable stunts, and music. Sometimes, what a movie really needs is Richard Martin as Chito Rafferty. :D

Concerning The Wizard of Oz, I can't say that I dislike it, but at the same time I've never been able to understand the great praise for it. The film plays like a second season color episode of Lost in Space for me, and I'm not trying to be derogatory since I happen to like all three seasons of LIS. My suspicion is that if your first viewing of the film is sometime during your childhood, you may be more likely to go through life thinking it's a great film. Somehow, I didn't see the film until well into my adulthood. Perhaps that is why I have never been entranced by it. Regarding Judy Garland, I would rank Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, For Me and My Gal, and In the Good Old Summertime far above Oz. To be fair to Oz though, I would rank it far above those "hey gang, let's put on a show" films.

So, is there a dedicated "overrated films" thread? I wouldn't mind playing the iconoclast to hurl some insults and invectives toward some of the film greats. ;)

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  7. JohnRice

John
    I sure wish an HD version would show up some day. Even in Europe it seems to be pretty rare.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I bought the iTunes HD digital for $4.99 last year.

Tino likes this.
  9. JohnRice

John
    Doh! I always forget about iTunes. $10 now, but I put it in my wishlist for when the need strikes.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It's been down to $4.99 a couple of times after I purchased it. I expect another price drop before the year is out, especially around the holiday sales.

11. Message #91 of 296 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Same way with me-- I may see quite a few Streets of San Francisco or Hart to Hart episodes far more than others, but I do it because it relaxes me and leaves me a lot calmer than if I see an episode of either that I didn't enjoy the first time.

12. roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    I do that with certain musical numbers on you tube. Memory a song I hate sung by Elaine Paige which is at another level in a video of Cats like Judith Duram singing Kumbaya, the original Rich Man's Frug Fosse at his pinnacle, and Rita and Fred doing I'm Old Fashioned and the Shorty George. I'm closed to films from the post studio era because not only are they made by people whose only life experience is watching other movies but because they are incapable of any sense of real joy and happiness. And I say this as somebody who adores Bergman and Dreyer. Movies that people claim are feel good movies depress me. And life is to short for slasher films, comic book movies and nasty teen comedies. And I came of age during the rise of these movies. Thank God I found the Regency and the Carnegie Hall Cinema programs curated by people whose tastes I shared. Now I am knocked out by films like Le Million and The Sin of Nora Moran and the films of Gerald Philipe. Very old films which stun me. There are many films like these yet to be discovered. I envy Scorsese seeing Vertigo at the Rivoli and The Searchers at the Criterion not his filmmaking.

bmasters9 likes this.
  13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Yeah, this was a provocative thread from the start. I don't think it started out with innocent intentions!

14. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I honestly started it with my true feelings and the innocent desire to start a lively discussion.
    ^_^

Blimpoy06 and bmasters9 like this.
  15. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I think it is not so much about seeing it earlier in one's life, but earlier in the life of motion pictures. I first saw Kane as a teenager in the early to mid 70's. Most of my movie viewing up to then on TV was of classic movies on the Late and Late Late Shows or afternoon Million Dollar Movies or on the local UHF channels. I had read in various books on film that Citizen Kane was supposed to be a groundbreaking classic; so I knew going in that it was supposed to be one of the greats. When one of the local channels finally showed it one night, I was stunned at how unique and original Citizen Kane seemed to me in comparison with the other classics I had seen. Every time I watch it I see it through eyes that had never seen anything like it up to then.

Since 1941, all the rules of film-making have changed, and the innovations of Kane seem rather tame to many today. I don't know if Kane can ever re-capture that moment when it seemed so original in comparison to what had come before it.

Suzanne.S, Cineman and TJPC like this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Perhaps it could be both, my first viewing was from such a TV viewing growing up in the NYC Metro area around 1969-1970. At that time, I wasn't reading a bunch of books on film, but that changed shortly after seeing "Citizen Kane" for the first time.:)

Cineman likes this.
  17. JohnRice

John
    I do think there are certain movies that just fundamentally changed film. Citizen Kane is one example. Metropolis is probably another. 2001 is certainly another. Jaws is probably another, but more in a marketing sense. When I hear people turn their noses up at Citizen Kane, I think about a story my father, who was a professional jazz musician, told me many times. A friend of my father's, who stayed in music much longer than he did, talked once about a young sax player in the Vegas band he played in. He said something about Charlie Parker along the lines of "I don't know why everyone worships Parker so much. He did all that old, tired stuff." Well, this young dude thought it was "tired old stuff" because so many sax players since Parker were imitating him, but he was the first to do it. The problem is the young dude was too ignorant to know that, and to his narrow understanding, it was just tired old stuff.

In Kane, Welles moved the camera in ways that had never been done. He showed more than one wall, and he showed ceilings, which was radical. He lit and blocked scenes in new ways. Now Gregg Toland also deserves a hell of lot of the credit for those revolutions.

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Okay. Are you saying you didn't think the subject would create controversy?

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    It’s the “And will not see” part that’s the issue. That I don’t get.

Suzanne.S and Colin Jacobson like this.
  20. JayJay

JayJay Auditioning

Jay
    Is there a definitive list of "Classic films" that can be posted so all here can check off what they have seen, need to see, or chose not to see? I'm sure some think for example Avatar is a classic whereas many, like myself don't.