1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TJPC, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After reading your prior post in this thread, I don't doubt that assertion.;)

Tony Bensley, Suzanne.S and BobO'Link like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, that's how I see things now.

Tony Bensley and Tino like this.
  3. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    Why don't you like Foreign Language films? Never heard that before from a movie fan. Of my all -time 25 most favourite films,only one is in the English language. You are missing out on the very best in World cinema. English speaking movies generally suck .Hard to even see a decent one these days.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    He probably doesn't like reading subtitles which is why a lot of people don't like foreign films. So yes, I've heard that plenty from movie fans. You can be a fan of movies, but still restrict yourself from watching different categories of movies.

Bob_S., ScottHM and David Weicker like this.
  5. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I watch some foreign films but not many. I know it’s not popular, but I’d watch a lot more if they were dubbed instead of subtitled. I am watching the Russian “War and Peace” right now, which I am sure I saw dubbed in the theatre in the ‘60s. I find I basically forget to watch the movie as I concentrate on reading.

Bob_S., Doug Wallen and David Weicker like this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I think reading/watching gets much easier the more subtitled content you watch.
    I never watched any foreign content until the arrival of DVD, then Japanese, and French cinema became some of my favorite films to watch.

PMF, Randy Korstick and Suzanne.S like this.
  7. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I would say 40% of my discs are foreign and I have learned to read the subtitles fast especially when seeing films like Last Year at Marienbad. On the other hand films made by Jacques Tati have very little dialogue so less subtitles to read.

PMF, Randy Korstick and B-ROLL like this.
  8. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I guess I like what I like. I didn’t say foreign films are bad. Just that I don’t enjoy them. I’ve seen many Bergman , Kurosawa, Tati, Renoir, Truffaut. While I found their films Ok, I have no desire to search out their other films.

And based on your ‘generally suck’ comment, I’d say our tastes are in different universes.

So, is your lone English language film one of these?

Gone With the Wind
    Casablanca
    Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein
    Network
    Godfather (I or II)
    Singin’ in The Rain
    Twelve Angry Men
    Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
    Top Hat
    Ben Hur
    China Seas
    Adventures Of Robin Hood
    Pinocchio
    Duck Soup
    Red River
    Maltese Falcon
    Blazing Saddles
    Goldfinger
    Star Wars
    Sullivan’s Travels
    Strangers On A Train
    Kind Hearts And Coronets
    Die Hard
    It Happens Every Spring
    Wizard Of Oz

I was just thinking about how much worse it would be if you spoke another language and tried to watch a classic American film subtitled. Imagine trying to watch/read Network, or god forbid His Girl Friday

Bob_S. and Tino like this.
  9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    OK, well hang your head and feel shame.

Ha, just kidding.

It seems Francis Ford Coppola and you won't be having lunch any time soon though.

I think that is the whole idea or life in general is you know you try to spend time, particularly your leisure time doing or watching, in this case, something you enjoy or interests you.

Yes, if "gangster" pictures are not your thing I can't imagine why you would have an interest in The Godfather, it being a quintessential gangster film that has been referenced by other people for years.

I love those pictures but I don't think others have to.

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Never mind. Not worth it. :rolleyes:

MartinP. and JohnMor like this.
  11. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    None of them that you have listed above. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is the English speaking title that is on my list of top 25 movies ever seen.

12. Message #52 of 296 Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'll never watch a subtitled movie.

There's no shortage of great films in English and there are still many classic movies I've never seen even once that I want to watch. That said, there are some I'll probably never watch. Just looking through the list of best picture nominations for the 1940's for an example, I've only seen 37 out of 70 movies.

Some of those remaining 33 movies like Wilson, Our Town (Too darn depressing reading that in high school), Henry V, Great Expectations (Was boring to read in school), and Hamlet are movies I've avoided for many years and can't seem to get enthused enough about to bother watching.

I'll get around to many of those 33 one of these days, like Citizen Kane which I'm not purposely avoiding and expect to really enjoy. But I suspect some of these 33 from cinema's greatest decade will remain unwatched.

13. roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    To me the apex of film is 2001 and after that I wonder why anybody bothers. Great movies from the silent teens to the 60s both foreign and American. From then on I find film pretty boring. Fortunately there are many treasures to be still discovered that myself and most others still haven't heard of let alone seen.

14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm sorry for you. There have been plenty of great films made since the 60's. To each their own.

15. Message #55 of 296 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    sitman

sitman Auditioning

Bill Shepard
    I'll watch virtually any film that's widely considered a "classic" and usually enjoy them and/or consider them interesting and time well spent. For example, I've seen 48 of the Sight and Sound Top 50. The two that I haven't seen, Au Hasard Balthazar and Sátántangó, represent the one film subject I can't watch - films that are said to contain animal cruelty, harm or jeopardy. For that reason I also haven't watched Rules of the Game and Bergman's Passion of Anna. (I did see Andrei Rublev but hadn’t done my homework before.)

Tony Bensley and Reggie W like this.
  16. Message #56 of 296 Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    Well I've seen a number of them and I don't get their greatness. They bore me. But as you say to each his own. I put it down to filmakers frame of reference being other movies. Scorsese and Spielberg being prime examples. I know people love their movies but the old filmmakers they love did it better. And Balthazar is one of the most beautiful film's I've seen and also heartbreaking. Aren't there quite a few old movies where animals were mistreated or killed for example in westerns and epics?

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm feeling sorry for a lot of people.

Todd Erwin likes this.
  18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don’t feel sorry for any of them. :D

19. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I never saw "Gone with the Wind" and it is unlikely I ever will. Just doesn't interest me. That being said, never say never.

20. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Some thoughts based on what has been posted to date...

I would agree with Bryan that as you experience more content with subtitles, processing them becomes easier. I sort of take a mental snapshot of the text and process it from memory while continuing to watch the film.

While I claim to know absolutely nothing about how foreign film distribution works, I have held in my mind the model that there is a filtering process at play, which means that many of the inferior foreign films don't receive distributions to the U.S. which has the affect of 'raising the bar' on those films that are available to American consumers. That is just a theory, though. :)

Is it better to restrict yourself to things you know fall into your tastes, or is it better to be more open and find some gems and some dross? I can see arguments for both sides. A good friend of mine is fairly particular on the types of entertainment he views because he wants to maximize the quality of his entertainment time. I watch television programming that he would never consider because while those shows are imperfect, there are aspects of them that I do enjoy. Both viewpoints are valid, it is just a question of which one works for you?

Personally, I believe that it is worth experiencing some questionable programming to find titles you might treasure - but that is just my preference.

- Walter.

Tony Bensley and Jeff Flugel like this.