What's new

Classic Movies I’ve Never Seen and Will Not See (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I am ornery I guess, because I get turned off by films that seem to get world wide acclaim sometimes. As for “The Godfather”, — I hate movies about criminals and gangsters. Also as far as “Apocalypse Now” is concerned, having lived through the Vietnam era, I have no interest in anything to do with it.

This does not mean I will not see either in the future, but with so much media I find wonderful, I hate to waste my time on something I won’t probably enjoy.
I tend to approach it with the mindset of "What if it's that hidden gem and I truly love it?" I've watched all kinds of movies, some pure dreck, with that in mind and, while it's infrequent, do occasionally find those little gems of films I never thought I'd enjoy, much less want to see again. Is it worth it? Not sure. But I also love movies and don't consider watching even "bad" ones total wastes of time.

But I do get where you're coming from. I don't particularly care for movies about criminals and gangsters outside the noirs of the 30s/40s. I *do* tend to enjoy war movies from just about any era. However, I find some of the ones of the Vietnam era tough viewings. It was a very troubling time in many ways.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think I would refuse to watch any film, but I find I'm frequently disappointed by older films that have been deemed a "classic" or a "masterpiece" when I do watch them. Citizen Kane comes to mind.
Whenever I read similar comments like your post, I always wonder if the person would feel the same way about that movie, if they viewed it much earlier in their life and before reading or hearing about all of the praise that movie has received? I suspect some opinions, but not all, would change if that happened.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whenever I read similar comments like your post, I always wonder if the person would feel the same way about that movie, if they viewed it much earlier in their life and before reading or hearing about all of the praise that movie has received? I suspect some opinions, but not all, would change if that happened.
We touched on this topic in another thread. I was raised on the belief that rejection is always a sign of refinement. Now, as I turn 55, I've been making a concerted effort to understand things (movies, novels, etc.) rather than react to them on a guttural level. People say "I don't want to waste time watching a movie I know I won't like." I've started trying to understand why something is highly regarded, or just enjoyed. It's a lot more gratifying to understand something and appreciate it for what it is, warts and all, than to shut off to it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For the most part, I will see any classic. But I prefer Hollywood or British films. I do not like foreign language films, so it is a really tough sell for me to see something that for me is culturally different (small-minded, I know, but it is what it is).

I think if there is a particular genre that you've been extremely disappointed in, or a particular actor or director that you have despised their other works, you might avoid something.

I know, for myself, there are certain directors whose work not only leave me cold, but whose films have made me ill. I would need to be convinced that the 'magnificent art' is truly not representative of them before I would consider seeing it.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I am ornery I guess, because I get turned off by films that seem to get world wide acclaim sometimes. As for “The Godfather”, — I hate movies about criminals and gangsters. Also as far as “Apocalypse Now” is concerned, having lived through the Vietnam era, I have no interest in anything to do with it.
I haven't seen either of these films either, and have no interest. The list of "classic" films I haven't and don't plan to watch is extensive.

---------------

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have seen all the so-called classic movies from around the World ,in my lifetime. None left that I want to see, Have all my favourites on dvd or bluray.Huge collection .

Don't forget that what one person regards as a classic,others may think of it as a dud.What surprises me is that THE AFRICAN QUEEN is not listed on many film magazines classic films of all time lists. EMPIRE and TOTAL FILM for example. Probably those lists were comprised by teenagers.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think a lot depends on one's reason for watching movies. For most people it is strictly about enjoyment and therefore they don't want to waste time on things that they don't "enjoy." For me, enjoyment isn't the sole reason to watch. I want the diversity of different experiences. I will watch movies that are extremely uncomfortable just to have the experience and to learn about things unfamiliar to me. I've delved into a lot of foreign films to widen my cinematic purview.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
For me, enjoyment isn't the sole reason to watch. I want the diversity of different experiences. I will watch movies that are extremely uncomfortable just to have the experience
I watch movies for the enjoyment. I go to work for the other.

---------------

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know some Vietnam Vets who to this day refuse to watch anything related to the War and particularly the Politics behind it -- not Documentaries, not news remembrances, and esp not recreations regardless of the slant of the movie.
Many of them will not or can not watch war films of any sort.

I was a couple years too young to be drafted, but certainly old enough to remember the News Broadcasts, Protests, and all the rest..
I was in college when Apoc. Now came out and saw it with roommates and several friends. I thought it was a masterpiece -- confusing but beyond powerful. One of my roommates and about half the group thought it was an abomination and would have walked out if we hadn't made a deal ahead of time that NOBODY was allowed to leave. One other person agreed with me, the rest were just confused about what they had just watched.

Citizen Kane reminds me of Richard Gere's statement about Opera in Pretty Woman. I appreciate CK more every time I see it, but I can't say I really like it at all. Maybe some day it will click.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw Citizen Kane in such a way that it was an exciting, thrilling experience for me. But I hadn’t yet heard that it was supposed to be The Greatest Thing Ever. I just knew it was by Orson Welles, the guy that did that War of the Worlds thing my grandfather talked about (which I always loved hearing about), that they didn’t want to let him make more movies after this one, and that it was on PBS way after my bedtime and that I’d have to engage in some deception to not get my 12-year-old ass busted for watching a 1am movie. But I loved it at first site and still do.

But I can see why it would be underwhelming if it was oversold like it is today.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Liking or not liking or not watching a movie just because other people do or don't strikes me as overly sensitive to what other people think. Why should I care? OTOH, not liking a particular genre or director is basing one's actions on what one thinks. For the record, I think Citizen Kane is a great film, and I did so the first time I saw it, and The Godfather is in my personal top three.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I can't think of any "classic" film that I've refused to see. Indeed, if a film has an acclaimed reputation, I want to see it. There are classics I dislike intensely (It's A Wonderful Life, All Quiet On The Western Front, Grapes Of Wrath, etc.) but at least I've seen them. That being said, I avoid Marvel/DC superhero movies. I've tried watching them but I find them loud, stupid and boring and clearly I'm not the demographic for such stuff. I swore after Wonder Woman, I'd never see another one but a friend insisted Black Panther was a must see so I watched it and it wasn't at least for me though to be fair I didn't dislike them. When they were over I thought, "Is that all there is? Much ado about nothing." So BP was my farewell to the DC/Marvel universe.

As for the two titles mentioned in the OP, The Godfather is a masterpiece. Apocalypse Now is a piece of *beep* Not that you need it :), you have my permission to skip them. No one needs to see any movie. Still, I do have to wonder the purpose of such a thread. Is avoiding film classics something to brag about?

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I really hate westerns. But High Noon is fantastic!

In my youth I had a bias toward westerns because, regrettably, I had only seen some truly bad ones, re-run serials on Saturday afternoon TV and thought, 'Really?!? This is what all the fuss is about?!?' But then I took a film studies course in high school, the teacher a HUGE fan of westerns. I saw Ford's magnificent Stagecoach (and its remake, which I don't think is as awful as some do), and The Searchers, and Fort Apache, and I was hooked. Since then The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit (Wayne version), The Magnificent Seven, and a slew of others have entered my 'beloved' list of absolute favorite movies of all time. It just goes to show you that when it comes to the arts, it always helps to have an open mind.

I have a friend who absolutely hates - or, at least, thinks he does, Hollywood musicals - despite agreeing with me that The Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz are 'okay'. When I asked what other musicals he's seen he listed Lost Horizon, Listomania and Grease 2. No wonder he hates musicals. It's a pity I cannot convince him to watch Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society, The Great Ziegfeld, My Fair Lady, or The Music Man - sterling, sparkling entertainments that would certainly convince him otherwise. Prejudice...it's a terrible thing!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've always been a tough film critic. There are lots of "classic" movies I saw as a kid and disliked that I still don't like. Most of those I didn't know were "classics" until much later. I've seen quite a few movies that are considered "classics" during their original runs and didn't like them - then or now. Others I ignored completely only to see them much later and found I liked them in spite of thinking I wouldn't. I rarely change my opinion of a movie once I've seen it.

In college I took "Motion Picture Appreciation" and just happened to skip the night Citizen Kane was screened. I'd never heard of it prior to that class. That was in 1975. I didn't see the film until ~2 years ago when I broke down and purchased a copy with the mindset of "I really need to see this one because it tops so many best movie ever lists." I knew little about the plot, mainly that it was somewhat based on William Randolph Hurst and what Rosebud was. I can safely say I'd have not liked it back in 75, before I knew anything about it, any more than I did a couple of years ago. From the script to the acting to the totally unconvincing aging makeup effects to the staging to the photography the film simultaneously annoyed and bored me.

I absolutely do not like The Wizard of Oz. Didn't like it as a kid (long before I knew it was considered a "classic") and like it even less now. My kids and grandkids do not like it (and I'm careful to not express my opinion of *any* movie before they see it as I want them to form their own opinion).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Any form of culture is subjective. Whether it be a movie, a TV show, a Broadway play, a book, a painting or a song. Love it or hate it. What do I care? I like what I like and I don't ever feel a need to defend it. Life's too short to care about what others think.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Any form of culture is subjective. Whether it be a movie, a TV show, a Broadway play, a book, a painting or a song. Love it or hate it. What do I care? I like what I like and I don't ever feel a need to defend it. Life's too short to care about what others think.
I enjoy discussing movies and finding out what others think, whether or not we agree. While those discussions rarely change my mind I often come away with an appreciation for what others see/get that I do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks