Classic Media announces original GODZILLA, with some confusion

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joseph Goodman, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

In short: Classic Media will be releasing both the US and Japanese versions of "Godzilla" (1954) on September 5th.

The press release:

http://www.tokyomonsters.com/news498.php

THE CONFUSION: The press release states "remastered in HD widescreen". "Gojira" however, was never intended to be shown matted to widescreen; it was always a 1.37 feature. Naturally, I emailed Classic Media for clarification. My response from Sasha Junk, head of corporate communications & PR for Classic Media:

"the DVD will not be formatted in widescreen."

I wonder what the real situation is?

2. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    OK now i am ticked off, i sent them and e-mail like 4 months ago about this and never got any response back, the question i had was this going to be the restored Rialto version 50th anniversary that played the states a year ago,

I see what is stated about HD, but classic media is normally handled by Sony, so that would be BD instead?? if they went high def on this release.
    i am so waiting on this

3. Joseph Goodman

This release has nothing to do with Rialto's theatrical re-issue (which was not a restoration). The rights for theatrical & video were are entirely seperate. Status of possible HD releases are unknown.

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

When the Rialto version was touring the country, it played here in cropped widescreen, apparently thanks to some delusional projectionist. I was so utterly cheesed.....cut the head of Godzilla off in numerous shots [​IMG] Definitely NOT a widescreen movie.

6. Joseph Goodman

The wording has been changed from "HD widescreen" to "high definition edition". Hopefully this resolves the OAR issue.

7. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    DVD Savant reported today the following (I'm copying in here because this info will disappear next week):

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  9. Joseph Goodman

The USA Today blurb is the original source of the confusion.

10. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    The current info, as per email confirmation from Classic Media posted in updates at the Monster Zero forums (which is where you should go if you want the skinny on any Kaiju or Henshin releases), is that the first two G-films (GOJIRA/GODZILLA and GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN/GIGANTIS THE FIRE MONSTER) will be in their original Academy ratios, and the rest will be in proper Tohoscope format. Calm down, everybody. [​IMG]

Monster Zero Forums thread on the Classic Media Godzilla releases

11. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

Fantastic! Been waiting a good while for this.

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

This is great news. Both versions is the way to go to keep everyone happy. I'll gladly replace my not-so-official OAR, Original Japanese cut, copies of Gojira, vs. Mothra (64), Ghidrah and Monster Zero.

It's too bad Universal didn't go this route with their recent King Kong vs. Godzilla [​IMG], which is why I passed on it.

Hopefully we'll see others released this way in the future such as Mothra (61), Rodan, Destroy All Monsters etc.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Got this when trying to go to the Monster Zero Forum using the above link, so I can't actually personally confirm.

14. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    That's really annoying. Oh well, go to www.clubtokyo.org, click on Discussion, then I think you have to register to see the forums, unfortunately. But if you're a kaiju fan, it's well worth it. After you're registered, go down and click on Godzilla & Kaiju Collectibles, click on the subtopic DVDs, CD, VHS & More, then click on the thread entitled "New Classic Media discs to be released Sept. 5th this year". You'll find all the info regarding these highly anticipated releases.

And if you really can't be bothered to do all of the above, here's the email from Classic Media to Joseph Goodman, the MZ forum member who got the skinny:

15. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

I think that, if they were only going to release one version, it's good that they released the American edit, because at least the original Japanese version is available in good quality widescreen on R2, which you can purchase and then make a subtitled backup for your own personal use using downloadable subtitle scripts and freeware. There are detailed instructions available on how to do this (again, for your own personal use; mods, I am in no way advocating illegal bootlegs here, so please don't delete my post or lock the thread). You can also just watch your R2 on your computer using the subtitle script and DVDSubber.

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Got this when clicking on your new link. I guess I'm just out of luck!

Managed to get there when pasting the address into the browser
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Yay! About time. We took a 2 hour drive to see this in the theater a few years back when it came to Michigan. [​IMG]

18. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

The Japanese version will be subtitled, I assume? (Just for those of us who do not speak Japanese, of course)

19. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Oh ho! I didn't know this was coming. I just picked up the UK disc, which is a very nice package...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm

The film element is a bit ragged, so there is certainly room for improvement. I wonder if Classic Media will deliver?

20. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I just hope this isn't another false alarm, after Criterion first announced and then dropped a number of Godzilla DVD releases (including the 1954 GOJIRA)some years ago.