What's new

Classic gaming thread... (1 Viewer)

Kev_L

Auditioning
Well.. having now done some Cutting with MDF last night... this will definitely be a full weekend project if you guys are thinking of building a Cabinet. However it's not too difficult.. just time consuming, and you have to have space.

I think the most challenging part is thinking up the layout of your own control panel. Just sepnt last night drawing up the layout, and went to Kinkos to get it printed out on a large format printer. Hopefully I'll be happy when I go pick up the printout tonight.

=>

Todd,

That should be enuff juice.. all depends if you want to run some of the newer games like the new Street Fighters and such... All the classic ones like Donkey Kong, PacMan etc, no probs though. I'm running a Celeron 300A OCed to 450, adn that's more than enuff for those ones. Try to stick in a sort of half decent vid card for video speed... I tried a REALLY old ATI PCI card and it choked on a bunch of gamez.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm going to use my trusty old Voodoo5 5500 AGP. It runs everything at top speed at the moment under MAME32, including the Street Fighter games. It's a great little card. Too bad 3DFX went under. :frowning:

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
For those looking a "real" (JAMMA compliant) arcade cabinet that plays multiple classic arcade games out of the box, check out http://www.ultracade.com/.
It does not play as many games as a MAME system, but it is a full-fledged plug-and-play production arcade system. No need to search for (illegal) ROMS. No need to configure Windows or DOS or MAME itself. This thing is designed to be put in a real public arcade with little set-up or maintenance.
Advantages over pre-built MAME cabinet:
* Real JAMMA arcade cabinet, w/real arcade controls
* 27" monitor
* Plug-and-play
* Legal, licensed games
Disadvantages over pre-built MAME cabinet:
* Does not play nearly as many games (including Pac-Man)
* Software not as customizable (can either be advantage or disadvantage)
* Cannot play PC games
Pricing is also an issue:
QuarterArcade.com pricing
Just posted this to make people aware that there are other roads to classic arcade nirvana than MAME.
-Mike

StevenW

Second Unit
NES is still my favorite system of all time. I just have so many damn memories playing that sucker days at a time when i was younger, and having so much fun playing it with friends, swaping games and what not. I still have it hooked up and play it every once in awhile :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks