What's new

General Discussion Classic films & TV in the Public Domain (1 Viewer)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Just wondered what the history was of the sale of the Universal Sherlock Holmes titles. I recall reading that Universal sold off their interest in the 12 films, but when did this happen? As they have passed through different owners/distributors over the years including Fox home video and Buena Vista. I also wondered how 4 of them came into the public domain. Did all 12 films have different copyright renewal dates? This has always puzzled me with things like The Lucy Show - how does only certain episodes get into the PD? One of the Chaplin documentaries explained the PD status of the 1925 Gold Rush, and how Chaplin tried to recify it in 1942 by releasing a reedited version.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Just wondered what the history was of the sale of the Universal Sherlock Holmes titles. I recall reading that Universal sold off their interest in the 12 films, but when did this happen? As they have passed through different owners/distributors over the years including Fox home video and Buena Vista.
Universal sold them off to a TV syndication company called Motion Pictures for Television sometime in the fifties. There is an article I dug up about how all 14 Holmes films (Two from Fox, the rest from Uni) came to be acquired by a businessman named Leo Gutman.

I also wondered how 4 of them came into the public domain. Did all 12 films have different copyright renewal dates?
Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks