What's new

Classic Films In Rep Many Now DCP (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at a current schedule of the Film Forum in NYC. They have a children/family matinee at 11AM.
I notice many ofl the films currently being shown are DCP. They advertise absolutely no DVDs or Blu- ray.

Some of the films shown DCP are:

A Night At the Opera
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Adventures of Robin Hood
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
Bye Bye Birdie
The General
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
5000 Fingers of Dr T
Jason and the Argonauts
King Kong (1933)

Still in 35MM
The Kid
Easter Parade
Small Change
School of Rock
House of Wax 3D
Young Frankenstein

Looks like Warner Bros and Sony have the most DCP projected films. I would guess as existing prints become worn out DCP replaces them for future bookings. Sad to see 35MM film disappear.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Tim Lucas wrote about this a long time ago in Video Watchdog. I'm somewhat split on it.

Baxter Ave. in Louisville used to pride itself on 35mm screenings but I've seen several, which were just so bad looking that there really wasn't anything "gained" other than saying you watched it in 35mm. I think they've mostly switched over because the studios simply aren't sending out film prints anymore. I know they're showing the original DAWN OF THE DEAD in 35mm next weekend and I plan on being there but I hope it's a good, uncut print. If it turns out to be in bad shape or is missing footage then give me the Anchor Bay disc projected.

Fathom Events has played several "classic" movies in the past year and none of them are 35mm obviously. If skipping the 35mm is going to get more classic movies onto a big screen then I'm all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks