What's new

Classic Films At the Ziegfeld NYC from 2/3 (GODFATHER. LOTR, IND. JONES, more) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
http://www.clearviewcinemas.com/zieg...ics/index.html

The Ziegfeld Theater will be showing classic films for the next month beginning Friday February 3. Films such as The Godfather Parts 1 and 2, Indiana Jones Trilogy, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, West Side Story, Chicago, My Fair Lady,
Ben Hur, Gladiator, Chinatown, and Braveheart will be included. To see these films on the big screen is fantastic.
Tickets are only $7.50 per film . If you are in the NY area
please take advantage of this.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they'll show Ben-Hur in 70mm, considering that the Ziegfeld showed Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm in 2002.

Also, I wonder if the film print of Raiders will feature the glass wall in the cobra scene. :D

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Apparently, all the prints are 35mm.

"Movies...the way they were meant to be seen!" Gee, I wonder where I've heard that before?!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think most if not all the films listed were available in 70MM . As this would be a selling point and 70 MM is not listed, I would also have to assume these are 35MM prints.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I don't believe there ever were 70mm prints made of the LotR trilogy, Gladiator, Godfather, Chinatown or Chicago.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
This topic is also discussed on the Cinema Treasures website listing for the Ziegfeld. One of the posters wrote that he contacted Clearview Cinemas (which operates the Ziegfeld) to ask if any 70MM prints were being used for the upcoming revival series and was told no.

StephenALT

Agent
This reminds me of the couple of Radio City Music Hall festivals from the mid-90s (one year there was a week of WB films, 2 years later there was a week of Universal films). Whenever possible, they had the 70mm prints (i.e. My Fair Lady). Everything looked amazing--but sounded horrible.

Arthur Penn introduced Bonnie & Clyde; 2 of the writers of Blazing Saddles introduced that; and Ellen Burstyn and William Friedkin introduced The Exorcist.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I saw this advertised in Time-Out. I definitely want to see West Side Story and the 2 Godfather films.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
For the fans of LOTR trilogy, Cearview Ziegfield theatre in New York will be screening the LoTR trilogy in its entirety every day from the week of February 24 to March 2. You can purchase your tickets from Link

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely going to see BEN-HUR, but I'm wondering how difficult it may be to purchase a ticket the actual day of the show. I wouldn't think it'd be that much of a problem.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
A word of advice and warning to potential ticketbuyers to the Ziegfeld series.

The quality of the prints varies widely. I understand from posters at Cinema Treasures that the "West Side Story" 35MM print was in great shape, but the "My Fair Lady" 35MM print being screened this week is atrocious. I attended the Friday night screening of "MFL"---the Ziegfeld was far from full---and left after an hour (and I wasn't the first to walk out). Numerous scratches, faded colors throughout, tinny sound and one of the early reels had consistent audio interference that sounded like static.

A representative of Clearview has been monitoring comments to the Ziegfeld series on Cinema Treasures and several days ago posted a note on the Ziegfeld board stating that the company is doing what it can to obtain quality prints.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
In the case of BEN-HUR, I've never seen it on the big screen, so that's my main interest. I'd like as pristine a print as possible, naturally, but it's the grand cinema treatment I'm mainly going for.

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
More titles added.

"Most Requested Films Week" - March 10 - 16th:
Singin in the Rain
Doctor Zhivago
North By Northwest

"Out of this World Week" - March 17 - 23rd:
2001- A Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Alien

"Lawrence of Arabia" in 70MM - March 24th - March 30th

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Makes me wish I were in NYC... almost.

Since living in Boston, I've been disappointed how limited the opportunities for classic movies are.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's surprising, there are a few on this forum who screen more indie and foreign flicks than Jason Seaver (he lives in Boston), and those are typical venues for classic revivals.

--
H

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Adam, is there no more big screen classics at the Wang Center (the former Loew's Metropolitan)? Boston would be an hour and a half drive for me, but still a LOT closer than NYC. And while the Zeigfeld is a lovely late '60's cinema, the Wang Center is a true 1925 movie palace.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been there, but I'm pretty sure the Wang Center is mostly stage performance now. The Brattle has some good classic picks, but they're constantly on the brink of closure. Until the merger with AMC, Loews Boston Common used to have free Thursday night screenings of "Fan Favorites" which varied widely from classics ("The Exorcist" - my first time on the big screen) to the dreadful (I think the world was ready to forget about "All I Want for Christmas"). But it was always a good time.

I did get to see "The Battle of Algiers" from the balcony of the Majestic Theater and that was pretty amazing.

One of my favorite theaters, though a second-run theater rather than a showcase for classics, is the Somerville Theatre right off the red line. At $6.50 evenings, it is without a doubt the best bargain in Boston.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Anyone going to see Ben-Hur should be advised that the Ziegfeld staff has removed the intermission sequence from the film. They didn't schedule enough time between shows, so they decided the easiest way to deal with it was to muck around with the intended presentation. :angry:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just came from BEN-HUR and didn't mind the intermission missing when taking into account that I consider this The Greatest Film Of All Time and it's my very first time ever getting to see it on a big screen, period! :) An intermission would have been nice, but beggars can't be choosers. My emotions are still flowing after a wonderful experience which I've wanted to have for many years now.

Once again I have to scratch my head and shake it at the same time when I hear movie fans say they don't think much of the theatrical experience. This is the way movies were meant to be seen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks