What's new

Classic DVD Landscape Going Forward In 2014. (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
With the year almost half over, I thought it might be a good time to take a look at what we might see with regard to releases from here through the end of the year.

The Bad News:

Summer 2014:

Only 5 classic DVD releases have been announced between now and the end of September (Big Valley, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, LA Law, and Dynasty. I'm not sure I would even label Dynasty and LA Law classics either IMO. Either way, very little is happening from now till the end of the summer apparantly with CBS, Shout, VEI, and Timeless

The Good News:

WA doesn't do their release announcements like the others as far as advanced warning, so I think it's safe to assume that during these months, we will be a few nice nuggets from them. Unofrtuantely for us, many of our grails left aren't Warner properties.

Fall/Winter 2014:

The Bad News:

I think it's fairly reasonable to predict that we won't see a glut of releases from CBS from 10/14-12/14. IMO we might see a Happy Days releases and one more each of Bonanza and Gunsmoke, but I think that's about it. I am hoping for a holiday release of Hillbillies 5 but I have no reasonable hopes of that seeing as how the syndication bible doesn't mention any further remastered releases for anything beyond season 4. Same follows for Petticoat Junction.

Obviously Timeless released have slowed to a crawl (as predicted before the merger). IMO, I see not reason to believe anything will be much different for the last quarter of 2014.

Warner is giving us lots of good stuff which will probably continue, but as noted in several previous posts, they don't seem ultra interested in releasing one season shows, particularly sit-coms. Secondly, its becoming apparant that we are no closer to seeing releases of the big 4 detective series than we were last year at this time. True, I don't know what's going on behind the scnes there with regard to clearances and such, but if we rely on the info they are putting out there, it doesn't appear that we will see them anytime soon.

The Good News:

Obviously we have 2 monsterous releases (Wonder Years and Batman) waiting for us as we approach the holidays. We also have 2 more much sought after titles (WKRP w/Original Music and Kotter) coming out presumably by year end so complaints should proabably be at a minimum until at least after those releases.

Final Analysis:

It is fairly evident that CBS's participation in classic DVD releases is probably winding down and we will probably only see a handful a year from now on. Warner will probably to give us decent stuff on a fairly regular basis, although my concern with them is wondering where they will go as they complete their current recurrent releases. Taking into account my aforementioned points with regard to one season series and the detective shows, Im kinda wondering if their proverbial well with start to empty as 2015 progresses. I also think the days of expecting Timeless to continue bringing us good stuff regularly are well over, and nothing indicates to me that it will be ramping up again. Shout is doing some great stuff, but their interest in pre 70's properties appears to be finished.

That being said, my belief is that other than depending on Warner (at least for now), once these huge end of the year sets are released, those of us who are interested in pre 70's titles are probably not going to see a lot from here on out. I also think the early to mid 70's releases are soon to wane out too. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Frank Soyke said:
With the year almost half over, I thought it might be a good time to take a look at what we might see with regard to releases from here through the end of the year.

The Bad News:

Summer 2014:

Only 5 classic DVD releases have been announced between now and the end of September (Big Valley, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, LA Law, and Dynasty. I'm not sure I would even label Dynasty and LA Law classics either IMO. Either way, very little is happening from now till the end of the summer apparantly with CBS, Shout, VEI, and Timeless

The Good News:

WA doesn't do their release announcements like the others as far as advanced warning, so I think it's safe to assume that during these months, we will be a few nice nuggets from them. Unofrtuantely for us, many of our grails left aren't Warner properties.

Fall/Winter 2014:

The Bad News:

I think it's fairly reasonable to predict that we won't see a glut of releases from CBS from 10/14-12/14. IMO we might see a Happy Days releases and one more each of Bonanza and Gunsmoke, but I think that's about it. I am hoping for a holiday release of Hillbillies 5 but I have no reasonable hopes of that seeing as how the syndication bible doesn't mention any further remastered releases for anything beyond season 4. Same follows for Petticoat Junction.

Obviously Timeless released have slowed to a crawl (as predicted before the merger). IMO, I see not reason to believe anything will be much different for the last quarter of 2014.

Warner is giving us lots of good stuff which will probably continue, but as noted in several previous posts, they don't seem ultra interested in releasing one season shows, particularly sit-coms. Secondly, its becoming apparant that we are no closer to seeing releases of the big 4 detective series than we were last year at this time. True, I don't know what's going on behind the scnes there with regard to clearances and such, but if we rely on the info they are putting out there, it doesn't appear that we will see them anytime soon.

The Good News:

Obviously we have 2 monsterous releases (Wonder Years and Batman) waiting for us as we approach the holidays. We also have 2 more much sought after titles (WKRP w/Original Music and Kotter) coming out presumably by year end so complaints should proabably be at a minimum until at least after those releases.

Final Analysis:

It is fairly evident that CBS's participation in classic DVD releases is probably winding down and we will probably only see a handful a year from now on. Warner will probably to give us decent stuff on a fairly regular basis, although my concern with them is wondering where they will go as they complete their current recurrent releases. Taking into account my aforementioned points with regard to one season series and the detective shows, Im kinda wondering if their proverbial well with start to empty as 2015 progresses. I also think the days of expecting Timeless to continue bringing us good stuff regularly are well over, and nothing indicates to me that it will be ramping up again. Shout is doing some great stuff, but their interest in pre 70's properties appears to be finished.

That being said, my belief is that other than depending on Warner (at least for now), once these huge end of the year sets are released, those of us who are interested in pre 70's titles are probably not going to see a lot from here on out. I also think the early to mid 70's releases are soon to wane out too. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Thoughts?
"Unfortunately for us, many of our grails left aren't Warner properties"?

I beg to differ on this with you. I have 2 holy grail shows that I still want from Warner Brothers......"Knots Landing" and "The Drew Carey Show". The holdup culprit on these two are music right clearances. I just wish Warner would hand these two shows over to Shout! Factory......cause they seem to know how to clear music faster than most of the other studios!!! (imo).

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
It seems you didn't include The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sgt Bilko) as a future release by Shout Factory. I know at this point it's only rumors

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
mrz7 said:
"Unfortunately for us, many of our grails left aren't Warner properties"?

I beg to differ on this with you. I have 2 holy grail shows that I still want from Warner Brothers......"Knots Landing" and "The Drew Carey Show". The holdup culprit on these two are music right clearances. I just wish Warner would hand these two shows over to Shout! Factory......cause they seem to know how to clear music faster than most of the other studios!!! (imo).
I repect that. Everyone is different. I was simply basing this thought on the fact that from my own perspective and with regarding reading what other people post on here, maybe of people's grail shows unreleased are not WA properties. Of my own list, only Hawaiian Eye is Warner.
As a PS with no respect intended, the thread is about classic DVD releases, and I personally wouldn't consider a 90's series like Drew Carey classic. Doubt get me wrong, I love the show, but IMO I don't consider anything pre 90 a classic show.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Frank Soyke said:
I repect that. Everyone is different. I was simply basing this thought on the fact that from my own perspective and with regarding reading what other people post on here, maybe of people's grail shows unreleased are not WA properties. Of my own list, only Hawaiian Eye is Warner.
As a PS with no respect intended, the thread is about classic DVD releases, and I personally wouldn't consider a 90's series like Drew Carey classic. Doubt get me wrong, I love the show, but IMO I don't consider anything pre 90 a classic show.
Well Frank, that is where we will have to "agree" to "disagree". "The Drew Carey Show" in my book is a "classic show" regardless what decade it's from. It is just as funny "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "I Love Lucy", "Roseanne", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "Fraiser", "Seinfeld" or "All In The Family". If you laugh out loud to any of these shows.....it's a classic in my book......and "The Drew Carey Show" is definitely a "classic".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Warner is giving us lots of good stuff which will probably continue, but as noted in several previous posts, they don't seem ultra interested in releasing one season shows,
As previously noted in the earlier thread there is not much to back up this argument considering WA has already released the following 1 season shows:
The Gallant Men
The Lieutenant
The Jimmy Stewart Show
The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.
Hawkins
Yellow Rose
The Man From Atlantis
Bret Maverick
Nichols
Search
Flo

They Have 5-6 additional 1 season shows on their streaming service that probably will become available on DVD at some point.
And they have already announced Plans to release "The Dakotas"

So WA definitely has interest in and releases one season shows.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
CBS and Fox have the least amount of shows I want; Sony and WB have the most. All seem to have music issues, so I am not holding my breath. I am pretty much done with pre-1970 shows anyway since I can transfer my VHS if I am so inclined of things like Phyllis, Rhoda S5 and the later seasons of Green Acres and PJ.

The only '60s titles I don't have in any form are S3 of The Flying Nun and the last three seasons of Donna Reed (I am still hoping MPI can manage to wring those from Sony's hands).

I am hoping Shout will come through with some stalled Lear shows and '80s sitcoms in the near future and consumer interest on Facebook will force WA to consider looking into resolving the music issues in a few others.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Timeless has "Zane Grey Theater" season 2 slated for December, and we might get season 4 of "Big Valley" before the year is out.

CBS has "Bonanza" season 7 as mentioned slated for the Fall, I wouldn't expect another season this year. I would expect a season of "Gunsmoke" before the end of the year.

WB has "How the West Was Won" season 2 coming out this month, and "Bronco" has been noted for a July release. It is always possible they could release another season of "Kildare" or "Sugarfoot" before the year is out. And there is no reason "Colt .45" or "Lawman" won't make an appearance someday (possibly next year).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm hoping the rumor concerning Death Valley Days is true. As usual there will be those sudden messages that will suprise us with the news that a "Grail" show will be released. There isn't really much more to add to my collection that I've been able to acquire one way or another. Good luck for everybody!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet seem to still be moving forward. Here's hoping that continues.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I'm no expert & have only been collecting classic tv for 3 yrs but it's disappointing to see fewer older shows released. If not now,when?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hopefully something will still happen with the stalled CBS classics like Cannon and Barnaby Jones, give us MOD by all means, but give it to us. :) -Ideal for shortlived cult stuff too, like The Magician Petrocelli or Serpico. WAC could easily connect The Waltons fans out there with The Mississippi, plus I'd love to see them do Kaz and rarities like McGruder and Loud and King's Crossing. Delvecchio is still not released and Fox sleeps on Hagen. I'll relax nicely once these are resurrected or dug out.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'm hopeful the trend continues that complete sets are the way some classic shows
will finally see a release. My biggest wish is for Love Boat, and Fantasy Island to finally
get completed, maybe that's why there has been no news or action in such a long time.

With shows like Wonder Years, China Beach, WKRP, and others long thought to be
unworkable on DVD, i'm just hoping the era of "stall and abandon" is finally over.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
HenryDuBrow said:
Hopefully something will still happen with the stalled CBS classics like Cannon and Barnaby Jones, give us MOD by all means, but give it to us. :) -Ideal for shortlived cult stuff too, like The Magician Petrocelli or Serpico. WAC could easily connect The Waltons fans out there with The Mississippi, plus I'd love to see them do Kaz and rarities like McGruder and Loud and King's Crossing. Delvecchio is still not released and Fox sleeps on Hagen. I'll relax nicely once these are resurrected or dug out.
I'd love to see this happen too. The problem is that I don't have a real positive feeling about CBS's MOD program. They released a very small handful of stuff from the onset and then stopped releasing things at all. Not really sure what occurred here, but I suppose the sales weren't good and they trashed it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I believe that CBS will do another round of Petticoat Junction and the Beverly Hillbillies this Fall. Was right around September last year when the syndication bible was updated showing those seasons being remastered followed shortly later about the Wal-Mart DVD deal.

Unless Wal-Mart wasn't happy which I'd find surprising since the anecdotal evidence suggested that these did well. I expect CBS to continue. Not so much of a fan of the Hillbillies, but season 4 of Petticoat Junction would go a long way towards pleasing me since most of my favorite episodes are spread across the first four seasons.

I'm hoping that somehow, some way, My Three Sons gets a second chance and doesn't have both arms tied behind its back like CBS did with the first try. Split season volumes for a sitcom and butchered audio was a recipe for failure.

Hopefully they license it out while still commissioning further remasterings of it since there's still syndication value there.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
As previously noted in the earlier thread there is not much to back up this argument considering WA has already released the following 1 season shows:The Gallant MenThe LieutenantThe Jimmy Stewart ShowThe Girl From U.N.C.L.E.HawkinsYellow RoseThe Man From AtlantisBret MaverickNicholsSearchFlo They Have 5-6 additional 1 season shows on their streaming service that probably will become available on DVD at some point.And they have already announced Plans to release "The Dakotas" So WA definitely has interest in and releases one season shows.
True. Other studios have mentioned the rebel, it's about time, vr5 and our miss brooks, I'm sure paramount/CBS knows about the high interest that John Doe and jake2.0 have in the fantasy market.It may have slowed down considerably, but don't count the short lived programs out yet

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I believe I remember seeing Petticoat Junction S3 at Sam's club a few months ago. So that is some additional exposure that might have helped sales at Brick and Mortar Stores. In fact, my Sam's Club is now carrying several CBS/P titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks