Classic Christmas Cartoons

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
It's that wonderful time of year once again - Christmas. And every year, I hope that someone? would release two classic Christmas specials but it never happens. Those specials are: "The Happy Prince" and my favorite "The Selfish Giant". Both are adaptations from the imagination of Oscar Wilde. Does anyone know if they'll ever get released? I hope they weren't just on Canadian television because they were amazing. Between those two, A Charlie Brown Christmas and the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, who needed anything more in terms of Christmas programming.

On a related note, what are you favorite Christmas cartoon specials?

Have fun and Merry Christmas!!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas were staples of my Childhood.
I'd like to see someone release "The Mouse on the Mayflower"(Does anyone beside myself remember this Special?) in a Future DVD, Back in the 60s and 70s NBC always showed it after the Parades (Macy's and Detroit) and before the Football Games. Then suddenly, it Vanished!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I remember Mouse. I have all of the R&B specials on vhs and dvd. Also good are A Very Merry Cricket by Chuck Jones, A Chipmunk Christmas, Garfield's Christmas Special, Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...etc.etc.etc.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Does anyone remember a special called "The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas?" It featured the voices of Tom Smothers and Barbara Feldon. It was narrated by Casey Kasem. It was about a bear (Ted Edward Bear) who wanted to stay awake all winter long instead of hibernating like the rest of the bears so that he can discover what Christmas is. My mom taped it off TV back in like 1985. We still have that tape. There have also been at least 3 different versions with a scene or two varying:

#1 - Commercially-released VHS: Has a scene where Ted goes into a cave on his way into the city and is scared out by some growling animal (we only see the eyes in the dark).

#2 - The version my mom taped from TV - this version has an additional scene when Ted gets into the city. Immediately before he watches the Christmas parade go by, he seees a large, traditional church and goes in. A song is playing (Silent Night?) and he very reverently takes of his hat, looks around and smiles. He then walks outside and it cuts to the parage/marching band seen.

#3 - Another version that I obtained via a trade. This one has a scene where Ted's friend/brother/roommate (not sure what he is) and Patti Bear are walking to the airport. He sings a quick tune about going on his "bear vacation...once a year hibernation" and Patti goes onto tell him that he should check out some other destination...

All 3 versions are identical in content, with the exception of those scenes I reference above. I am working to create a complete version with all the scenes integrated back into it, but all 3 are from different sources and they are very different in quality. None of them are good by any means.

This was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. I don't know who owns the special now, but I would LOVE for it to get a DVD release. If anybody knows who owns this now and who I could try to contact to espress my interest in its release, please post it!

EDIT: Some of my favorites: Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, The Grinch, Fat Albert's Christmas Special, Charlie Brown Christmas, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (with the mice - nostalgia, what can I say?), Mickey's Christmas Carol, Looney Tunes Christmas (only on VHS) and Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.
Love 'em all!

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for the memory ZackR. I loved this one too [The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas] - it's now on my list of favorites. I'm having the same problem with the shows I love as mentioned above - not sure who the rights belong to and who to contact to get them released.

The problem I have with these releases is the cost. For instance, Charlie Brown's Christmas, one episode, costs $12.99 in most stores. Most season sets of episodes cost at most $1 - $2 per episode (much more reasonable). The powers that be that release these shows need to figure out a cost effective way of selling them - box sets maybe combined with all other releated shows, etc.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I would love to see "Bear" released. Oh, and on a side note, while working on my "Ultimate" cut, I realized that the "Bear Vacation" clip I mentioned in my above post actually *IS* included in the commercial VHS tape that was released. So, all I have to do is splice in the church scene and that's it.

By the way, the church scene is a very nice scene. None of the airings of this show have included it that I am aware of. It was on the one my mom taped back circa '85, but I have never seen is since. Luckily, it is on her tape and I now have it safely transferred to DVD and my PC. Unfortunately, the quality leaves much to be desired, but at least it's there.

Does anyone know who might own this? I'll get the VHS box when I get home and post who released that and see if that gives anyone any clues. Wait, actually, the VHS tapes opens with the Family Home Entertainment logo with the "crayon" looking writing actually writing out the F.H.E. I think that same one was on the old 1980's Ninja Turtles tapes...Memory is foggy though.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo