What's new

Classic Calvin and Hobbes comic (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I still dig out my Calvin and Hobbes books from time to time to read through them. Completely timeless and absolutely guaranteed to make me smile like no other comic ever has.

-Steve

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I own all the book compilations with the exception of Yukon Ho!, which was lent out and never returned. :frowning: For many years now, they have performed a steady rotation sitting in the magazine rack in the master bathroom. :b
The Calvin and Hobbes comics contain keen observations on life, brilliantly seen through a 6 year old's eyes. This comic like no other (even Bloom County) has grabbed my mind and heart.
Some of my favorite moments:
Calvin's snowmen (any of 'em)
Susie's attempts to play house
Philosophical musings on the Flexible Flyer™.
Calvin Forever. :D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Reading old C&H comics is bittersweet because
1. we'll probably never see any new ones.
2. I'm reminded about how awful the current Sunday comics are. No more C&H, The Far Side or even the innocent but somehow cool Peanuts gang. Now we're stuck with Jeffy talking to Grandpa in heaven every Sunday. :rolleyes
Plus the Dilbert schtick is getting old. Yeah, office life sucks. Time to move on.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you guys. My favorite comic strips are Bloom County and Calvin & Hobbes - although they're decidedly different styles of humor!
Thanks for the link. I haven't seen that particular strip in several years.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks Robert!! This used to be a daily highlight for me in College, and I'll never forget the last strip, and how sad I was. Great stuff, and kudos to Bill W. for his imagination, wit, and artistry. I miss the strip, but it never got stale. Comics aren't even worth the time anymore:frowning: Good to see it is not forgotten;)
Take care,
Chuck

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
..and don't forget those
Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs!
Mmmmm
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Jay

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Wow did that bring back some great memories! C&H and The Far Side are the greatest cartoons IMO. I don't even bother taking a look at the weekend comics any more. Nothing worth following.

While I do miss C&H I have to give Watterson credit. He did not simply "milk the franchise" dry. He put a decade of great work together and went out on top. Very classy (and unusual) IMO.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Any theories on the "Noodle Incident"?

I've always wanted to try and make one of Calvin's snowmen, especially the suicidal ones, but haven't felt ambitious enough to actually try.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone ever read this article that laid out how "Fight Club" was really just "Calvin & Hobbes"?

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have spent quite a bit of time with my transmorgifier. Now if I can just find the right button to bring me back.

Ahh, there we go. Spaceman Spiff has been victorious again. Watterson was/is one of the best. Larson and Watterson are my favorites. I sometimes wish they were both still at it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The second best thing Watterson ever did was end Calvin and Hobbes. So many comic strips drag on well past their welcome. Many stips burn brightly for a year or two and then take up space on the comics page for all eternity.

Peanuts would be a good example. It's lovely that a strip can run for 50 years, but should it? They are running classic Peanuts now, and I'm not sure I'd be able to know they weren't new if the label weren't changed and I wasn't aware of Charles Schultz's death.

Watterson and Larson were amazing talents that knew to get off the stage while people were begging for more.

I loved Calvin. I loved every strip, though some more than others. I still get goosebumps when I look at the final strip. What a classy finale. To this day I have friends who send along a Calvin strip that seems tailor made to the events of the day.

Calvin is Timeless.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Strips like that are the reason my two cats are named Calvin and Hobbes. (Although I can never get the vet to spell Hobbes's name right, which really annoys him. :))
Regards,
Joe
Calvin_tn.jpg
Calvin
Hobbes%20Hiding_tn.jpg
Hobbes

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone ever read this article that laid out how "Fight Club" was really just "Calvin & Hobbes
The currently running non-Sunday strips of today and the past several days support that theory even more explicitly. In today's strip, Calvin is fighting with HIMSELF, while Hobbes watches and ponders the existential meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks