What's new

International Classic British DVD titles from Network! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
classicmovieguy said:
"Duel in the Jungle" is definitely on my To Buy list - wouldn't be too worried as Network normally gets their aspect ratios correct.
Someone should let them know, just to be sure. I've only recently uncovered that documentation.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob Furmanek said:
If anybody has connections with Network, please let them know that DUEL IN THE JUNGLE was composed for widescreen and should be 1.66:1.
Not looking good Bob, although as Byron said "they usually get their ratios correct"

duel.jpg

This title is listed on the Network site as
Picture: 1.33:1 / Colour
Sound: Mono

Let's hope that, as often happens, the early information is wrong, otherwise me have to place some black masking tape on our TV screen.

update: I notice that the subject is already ahead of this post over on the Aspect Ratio thread.

Doug.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Network also listed "Passionate Stranger" as B&W when its actually in full colour. Guess we'll wait and see how "Duel in the Jungle" turns out.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
2 titles from the Upcoming schedule have been pushed back to January 2015:

A Man About the House (Kieron Moore)
Bond Street (Jean Kent)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Well, my first order just arrived from Network, all safe and sound. 10 days from UK - the normal timeframe for me. I have another order currently on its way and I'll probably order 4 more this arvo.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Received "Konga" in the mail from Network on Friday. A big improvement on the R1 disc (which I used to own) which wasn't anamorphic. Good print plus a special little pre-menu intro from co-star Jess Conrad.

71BSFD6AbmL._SL1080_.jpg

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
I purchased a number of British noirs from Network that composition-wise seem like open matte transfers of what once was released in widescreen. Some of the titles are Bang! You're Dead (aka Game of Danger) (1954), The Brain Machine (1955), Cat Girl (1957), Eight O'Clock Walk (1954). I would think Duel in the Jungle (1954) would be the same way as they already list aspect ratio as 1.33:1. Most of these titles come from StudioCanal library and they seem to be doing transfers. Despite wrong aspect ratio, the transfers are excellent.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
GregoryMesh said:
I purchased a number of British noirs from Network that composition-wise seem like open matte transfers of what once was released in widescreen. Some of the titles are Bang! You're Dead (aka Game of Danger) (1954), The Brain Machine (1955), Cat Girl (1957), Eight O'Clock Walk (1954). I would think Duel in the Jungle (1954) would be the same way as they already list aspect ratio as 1.33:1. Most of these titles come from StudioCanal library and they seem to be doing transfers. Despite wrong aspect ratio, the transfers are excellent.
What a shame. It sounds like they have no concept of composing for widescreen and protecting for standard ratio.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doug Bull said:
The DVD scans certainly look 2.66:1, although IMDb has the movie listed as 2.35:1
Which, if either, is the correct ratio?
I have the Network HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM DVD. The DVD back cover states 2.35:1 as does the Network website but the picture displays as 2.66:1 on my TV so I assume its been cropped.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Douglas R said:
I have the Network HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM DVD. The DVD back cover states 2.35:1 as does the Network website but the picture displays as 2.66:1 on my TV so I assume its been cropped.
Or the opposite, & showing you all of the picture area. I was transferring some cinemascope films for DVD about 13 years ago (not this one), & always used the original cut negatives - cheaper than getting an interpos printed, & even a well graded interpose needs shot to shot grading on a telecine. So, if the cinemascope line-up loop goes missing, it's easy to make a mistake in setting up, & showing the whole picture area, 2:66.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Just received "Josephine and Men" (1955), starring Glynis Johns. Haven't had time to screen it yet but the disc includes both 1:66 and full-frame versions of the film. Will be interesting to compare.

josephine-and-men.jpg

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New titles announced:

* Dangerous Voyage (William Lundigan & Naomi Chance) 3rd November
* Invasion (Edward Judd & Yoko Tani) 3rd November
* Josser in the Army (Ernest Lotinga) 28th July
* Lucky Girl (Gene Gerrard & Molly Lamont) 20th October
* The Man Who Knew Too Much (Peter Lorre) 3rd November BLU
* The Middle Watch (Jack Buchanan) 3rd November
* A Nice Girl Like Me (Barbara Ferris) 13th October
* Pride of the Force (Leslie Fuller) 21st July
* Timeslip (Gene Nelson & Faith Domergue) 20th October

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Received another batch of Network (Studio Canal) DVDs yesterday and I'm very happy with all of them.

"The Ealing Studios Rarities Collection" - Vol 6.
"Honeymoon For Three" 1935 (a charming thirties Musical Comedy with multi talented Stanley Lupino, Father of Ida)
"The Girl in the Taxi" 1937 (Up-dated and Based on a 1910 German Operetta, but missing most of it's songs, still enjoyable though)
"I Believe in You" 1952 ( Joan Collins in her first movie along with a very young Laurence Harvey in a teenage delinquent drama - includes Trailer)
"The Fortunate Fool" 1933 ( Stagey early sound melodrama)

Once again Network have come up with 4 Excellent B&W transfers.

"British Musicals" - Vol 2.
"Everything Is Rhythm" 1936 (Showcase for 30's jazz musician Harry Roy. Plenty of Songs to make it enjoyable)
"Mister Cinders" 1934 (Melodic twist on the Cinderella tale with the very likeable American comedy and musical star Zelma O'Neal )
"Over The Garden Wall" 1934 ( Catchy songs and popular 30-40s British personality Bobby Howes)
"Blossom Time" 1934 ( The great Richard Tauber belts out songs adapted from the Music of Schubert)

Yet another batch of excellent B&W Transfers from Network and Studio Canal.

It's amazing that they keep producing such good quality DVDs from old, mostly forgotten movies.
Why can't Fox Classic Archives do the same.

Doug.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
@byron -- thanks for the list-- Invasion is a tight little film, looking forward to this (and one can never have too much Yoko Tani!)
btw, what is the quality like on Piccadilly Incident?

@doug -- thanks for the review of Best of British Musicals v.2, I have this on order and thoroughly enjoyed vol. 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks