1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Boeing 307 - now scrap...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I heard they were at least able to tow the plane to shallow water and can probably recover it soon. Like you said, glad nobody was killed. And if Boeing can't get the thing airworthy again, I'm not sure anybody can. Worst case scenario, they can always at least salvage the body and put it in a museum or place.

Jay

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

"SMALL" historic airplane?
    I didn't know a 4 engined plane was small [​IMG]
    I'm sure they can repair it (again)

4. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Apparently this is (was) the last surviving 307 of 10 built. If I were a pilot or passenger thinking of flying this plane, I think I would like to find out what happened to the other 9 first. [​IMG]

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Apparently the plane was destined for the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum wing opening at Dulles next year. I toured the Garber facility outside of D.C. where they do the restoration work on the planes in the museum. One thing they told us was that many planes are actually MORE airworthy before they are worked on for the museum because the the prime focus of their work is appearance rather than function. I always thought this was a bit disappointing. At any rate, the Stratoliner looks to be largely intact, so I'm sure it will still make a fine museum display.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Well, as someone mentioned previously, only 10 were built. And this is the only one known to have avoided the scrap heap. Six years of restoration work were undertaken, which included using a vintage loom to reproduce the original wall fabric and tracking down Pan Am radios from collectors across the country. Such a shame that all the work has (at least temporarily) gone to waste. Here's a cool page that described the plane and the restoration work:
    Aviation Legend Lives Again

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Ther plane was lifted out of the water today. It will be repaired.

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Heck, they are right down the street from the Boeing plant, the guy put it down soft as baby if you saw the footage, not a scrap on anyone.

Wheels torn off I think but other than that mostly water damage and some structure eval.

Hardly scrap it seems.

10. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit