What's new

Directors Classic Audio equipment (1 Viewer)

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All

I am not sure if this post has been done before, but what do you consider classic Audio pieces of equipment.

My pick, The Radio Shack analog SPL meter

Bob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I know very little, even about today's hardware, but didn't Bell Labs create "the perfect speaker" or something in the 50's-early 60's. They were produced on a very limited basis and cost something like $5000. (probably could have bought 2 cars for that back then)

I don't remember what they were called but I read a very interesting thread on them here 2-3 years ago.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Lou,

>Acoustic Research AR3 speakers.<

do you remember who designed that for them? I think it was Ken Kantor. I thought of the NHT Super Zero before the Rat Shack Meter. I know Kantor designed the SZ and I believe he did the AR3 as well.

Bob

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure that there is a single answer to this Bob. The AR-1 (acoustic suspension design) was by Edgar Villchur (head of AR), but the woofer was the work of the guy who later helped found KLH (Kloss).

The AR-1 (and the smaller and cheaper AR-2) did not have great upper-end sound and this was corrected in the AR-3, which had a different tweeter and mid-range. This was I think still the idea of Villchur.

Finally the AR-3a, sort of the culmination of the line (at least until later) had a different crossover and tweeter and was the work of Roy Allison (who was later head or close to the top of AR) and somebody else.

Allison designed a lot of AR gear back then. Eventually, after he left, the company went downhill (from an audiophile perspective).

They made a pretty neat early turntable as well.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I still have my B & O turntable I saved up for in High School. Nearly 30 years without a problem.
Not many things in life can say that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks