What's new

Directors Classic Audio equipment (1 Viewer)

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All

I am not sure if this post has been done before, but what do you consider classic Audio pieces of equipment.

My pick, The Radio Shack analog SPL meter

Bob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I know very little, even about today's hardware, but didn't Bell Labs create "the perfect speaker" or something in the 50's-early 60's. They were produced on a very limited basis and cost something like $5000. (probably could have bought 2 cars for that back then)

I don't remember what they were called but I read a very interesting thread on them here 2-3 years ago.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Lou,

>Acoustic Research AR3 speakers.<

do you remember who designed that for them? I think it was Ken Kantor. I thought of the NHT Super Zero before the Rat Shack Meter. I know Kantor designed the SZ and I believe he did the AR3 as well.

Bob

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure that there is a single answer to this Bob. The AR-1 (acoustic suspension design) was by Edgar Villchur (head of AR), but the woofer was the work of the guy who later helped found KLH (Kloss).

The AR-1 (and the smaller and cheaper AR-2) did not have great upper-end sound and this was corrected in the AR-3, which had a different tweeter and mid-range. This was I think still the idea of Villchur.

Finally the AR-3a, sort of the culmination of the line (at least until later) had a different crossover and tweeter and was the work of Roy Allison (who was later head or close to the top of AR) and somebody else.

Allison designed a lot of AR gear back then. Eventually, after he left, the company went downhill (from an audiophile perspective).

They made a pretty neat early turntable as well.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I still have my B & O turntable I saved up for in High School. Nearly 30 years without a problem.
Not many things in life can say that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks