Classic Animation on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Apr 23, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Inspired by last night's news that starting next year we should be getting complete unedited Tom and Jerry collections, it got me thinking about classic animation on DVD in general and it occured to me that apart from Disney's Treasures line, we don't really have any kind of decent releases that would do justice to classic animation. By that I mean fully restored prints, unedited, with all original titles, etc. in any sort of comprehensive collections. We obviously have the Looney Tunes sets to look forward to as well, but there are also tons more animated shorts that are being overlooked. WB owns all MGM cartoons, right? I wonder if we'll see the others, other than T&J. I'd love all those crazy Tex Avery MGM cartoons, as well as Paramount's.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Yeah, the Tex Avery stuff should probably be the next big priority after the Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry cartoons. Of course, maybe WB is taking this into account, but there also needs to be some outlet for getting out the WB cartoons that don't feature the major LT characters. Stuff like One Froggy Evening, Feed the Kitty, cartoons featuring lesser characters like the Goofy Gophers or Claude Cat, etc.

Beyond the Disney/WB/MGM classics, I personally would love to see the Fleischer Popeye's on dvd. Those are still some of my favorites, and I think Fleischer's work in general has become somewhat underappreciated over the years (at least the Superman cartoons have a decent dvd out). Unfortunately, I read on Jerry Beck's website that these Popeye cartoons are stuck in a rights dispute between WB (who own the cartoons) and King Features (who own the character), and I doubt there's enough demand out there to encourage them to come to a deal on a dvd release.

3. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

There's a double disc set of Fleischer's color shorts ("Somewhere In Dreamland," I think), most with the funky 3D experimenting. They didn't have access to the best source material and the mastering is under par, but it's inexpensive.

There are also a few Image discs in a series called Cartoons That Time Forgot that are excellent. Vintage Felix the Cat and Bosko are also on Image. The Russian Animation series is another great one.

Check the DVDtoons! site for lots of good info on what's available.

added:
    Oh! Oh! I just had to add a very HIGH recommendation for the recently released Adventures of Prince Achmed. It's a silhouette film and is noted for being the first feature length animation (1926). Included is a wonderful documentary on it's creator, Lotte Reiniger.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    VCI's Somewhere In Dreamland is wonderful given the source elements.

Artisan has official video rights (via Republic's UCLA-restored prints)....

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah, Andy, Popeye sets would be nice. I catch the Popeye show on CN once in a while. Fun stuff. Does WB really own them?

7. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

I don't know how inclusive/exclusive the "classic" designation is, but there is a company called Inkwell Images offering very early Disney & Fleischer DVDs you might want to check out.

I have not purchased any titles yet, but the discs look interesting.

I've seen the Out of the Inkwell title on eBay in 'the format pronounced dee-vee-dee-r' and am not altogether sure if the titles from Inkwell aren't on that very same format.

If anyone can speak to this, I would be interested.

Tim