Classic Adventure game remakes/fixes?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed that groups like Tierra are remaking old adventure games using new graphics/interfaces, but does anyone know anything about efforts to repair some of the problem Sierra games? A lot of Sierra stuff released around 1992-94 (I think) has some very major speed problems. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

Space Quest 4-The sequel police move too quickly, and it's impossible to stow away on the ship (plus MANY other problems)
    Quest for Glory 4-The swamp is impossible on anything faster than a 486-100.
    Leisure Suit Larry 3-The number of reps in the gym is based on the CPU clock.

As close as I can figure, this was just really bad game design that was never fixed. Even in the subsequent anthology releases, these problems were never fixed. It's sort of possible to slow a low end pentium down enough to run these, but on my p4 it's absolutely impossible. I think that rather than spend time remaking games that still work, how about trying to fix the ones that don't work at all? Has anyone seen or heard anything about these issues being fixed by fans?

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I bet you can find an old 486 for next to nothing, that is how I continue playing these types of games. Works great

3. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

You might want to look into FreeSCI for Sierra games based on their SCI engine (Leisure Suit Larry 2-7, Space Quest 3-6, King's Quest 4-6, Quest for Glory 1-4, etc.), Sarien for Sierra AGI games (their early EGA ones), or ScummVM for LucasArts SCUMM-based adventure games. All are open-source efforts at rewriting the game engines into cross-platform, portable code (and they all have Windows builds).

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Now that's interesting. I hope that FreeSCI project really comes together, it'd be awesome to have those games playable again. Especially since I have so darn many that are gather dust right now :p)