Classic 1982 Beastmaster starring Marc Singer is OUT!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheBat, Oct 10, 2001.

1. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I was looking for episode 1 at a store today and I found the dvd and video for Beastmaster 1. It was 14.99 for the dvd. This movie is 2 weeks early, should be out october 23, 2001. I almost picked up the dvd, but didn't.
    If you want the info: e-mail me at [email protected]
    I will tell you the place that I got it at.
    JACOB
    ------------------
    The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
    www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
    Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

One of the big retail stores, very J6P [​IMG] has it out early in my area as well. I thought about picking it up but I really want to get The Fifth Element Superbit, but just can't find it anywhere [​IMG]

3. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Tanya Roberts! Tanya Roberts!
    A must buy.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yes. I bought my copy today. I almost came apart when I saw this one already on shelves! [​IMG]
    On the back of the box it says "Includes 16 page booklet of original preproduction sketches and liner notes".
    There was no booklet in there! A card with the original poster art on the front and the chapter stop list in the back is all I got. A one-page/two-sided affair, no "16 page booklet"!
    What's up with that?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

5. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  6. David Lambert

Thanks, Jacob...and I will do so pretty darn quick.
    What I'd like to know first - from anyone else who bought this yet - is whether I am alone or not.
    Can anyone else who bought this already tell me whether or not they got this booklet?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I didn;t get the booklet either.. did you notice that the dvd was set for the commentary track when you watch the movie the first time, and I had trouble looking at the posters and stuff.. I would click on the posters in the extras and get a black screen.
    JACOB
    ------------------

8. David Lambert

9. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  10. David Lambert

I was referred to a specific lady, who I've left a couple of messages, but no call back and I never can catch her at her desk.
    So did ANYONE get this booklet in their Beastmaster DVD? I know it's pre-streetdate, but surely other's besides Jacob and myself have found it and bought it!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'll be sure to let you know if mine comes with the booklet...once I get it!
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on October 12, 2001 at 06:57 PM]

12. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I must have seen this movie on cable a hundred times when I was a kid! It was one of my favorites when I was five or six, so I wonder just how it will hold up today? Ah, childhood memories! For $15 I might just pick this one up if the reviews of picture, sound, and extras are good.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

13. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    Its letterboxed for the first time. the picture is pretty good. some scenes look better then other. something to expect from an older title. I have not looked at the whole thing yet.. for the most picture it looks like it was made yesterday and not nearly 2o years ago. I like how it has the dolby digital preview that you would see in the theatres.. that was cool.
    I remember watching the movie as a kid.. I liked it.
    Its been ages since I saw it. I am interested in Beastmaster 2, since actress Sarah Douglas was in the sequel.
    ------------------

14. David Lambert

I haven't viewed the whole thing yet, either. I intend to this weekend.
    I *did* check out the scene where we see Tanya Roberts' character, Kiri, at the lake and Marc Singer's character, Dar, is spying on her. I wonder why I checked out that scene? [​IMG]
    Anyway, shortly after that when Kiri trips Dar and is on top of him, the scene shifts between a close-up on her and a close-up on him. The POV shifts back and forth between them for several takes. Her shots are clear and clean, and his shots are grainy and faded.
    I honestly can't figure out why that would be. This sequence is PRECISELY what I remember from cable tv all those years ago; I could even mouth some of the words. But the change in quality reminds me of "lost footage" being cut in.
    I wonder what's up with that?
    I'll give it a spin soon and let you all know whatever other observations I may have. I'm no expert, nor do I have a HT system like most of you guys do. But I'll let you know what I think.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 13, 2001 at 06:03 AM]

15. David Lambert

I just finished watching the disc. Very nice. Exactly the cut I recall, but then that was 14 years ago and my memory has faded a bit. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    The scene I described with the graininess was the only example of it I spotted through the movie. No further complaints at all. Much goodness; nice audio and nice video for my less-than-HT setup. Folks with nicer systems should post their own reviews.
    Easter Egg alert! I posted it to this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/031718.html
    The regular supplements are nice enough, with the text bios and the behind-the-scenes footage. The latter was neat in places, but eventually got boring for me. I also wish that, in the course of that show, the various people were more clearly identified. I don't have a clue what Don Coscarelli looks like, so when he says "There I am with so-and-so", I have no idea which is which. [​IMG]
    I haven't watched it yet with commentary on, so no input on that supplement yet.
    The gallery of posters and other artwork is neat, too. I just wish I had the 16-page booklet to accompany it all. I know...I sound like a broken record about that. Sorry.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good job; good DVD! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If you don't know what Coscarelli looks like, that must mean you don't have the Phantasm DVD. Unless you just absolutely hate the movie, it is highly, highly recommended. The movie looks great even though it is non-anamorphic, but the supplements are where the disc really shines. The commentary is superb, the menus are really classy, there are a few deleted scenes, a ton or trailers and radio spots, behind-the-scenes footage shot by a student visiting the set, a couple of full-length songs, and an interview with Coscarelli (and Angus Scrimm) from back in the '70s. He looks pretty much the same today, so you'll definitely be able to identify him after watching this. [​IMG]
    Now, if you haven't seen the movie, it would probably be better to rent. It's not going to be for everyone. I love it, though.
    Gee. This thread and the easter egg thread are making me depressed. The local store that usually breaks street dates isn't doing it for Beastmaster. Guess I'll have to wait.
    As for the booklet, I won't know until I get mine, but a thought does occur to me: Beastmaster was originally supposed to be released as a standard release AND a special edition--presumably in a tin. The special edition was scrapped, but perhaps they forgot to remove the 16-page booklet from the list of features. AB is known to put things like that in their tins, but it would be unusual to find one in their keepcases, I would think.

17. David Lambert

18. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  19. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

I luckily stumbled across a copy this afternoon at lunch and picked it up this afternoon. The booklet was included and it was one of the nicest booklets I've ever gotten with a DVD. Lots of nice illustrations and interesting and relevant production notes. Not bad for $15.99.
    I plan to watch it as soon as I get offline.
    Thanks for the tip on the EE [​IMG]

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

This was on the WB the other night....I remember being more impressed with it,
    when I saw it last, what-10 years ago... Tanya was a treat, and the Ferrets were rather cute...
    ------------------